Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2002, 01:54 PM   #1
zuffen
macrumors member

DVD burn from outside source question

Questions

1. Can you take a source like a VCR and do a straight through burn/recording on the internal DVD burner? NO encoding or capturing.

This means maybe hooking it up via a firewire convertor.

If so what utility or program does one use.

Can a Mac be used as a Tivo unit and record onto the harddrive for later viewing and dub down to DVD? Much like the new Panasonic standalone burners.

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:37 PM   #2
jelloshotsrule
macrumors 601

Re: DVD burn from outside source question

Quote:
Originally posted by zuffen
Questions

1. Can you take a source like a VCR and do a straight through burn/recording on the internal DVD burner? NO encoding or capturing.

This means maybe hooking it up via a firewire convertor.

If so what utility or program does one use.

Can a Mac be used as a Tivo unit and record onto the harddrive for later viewing and dub down to DVD? Much like the new Panasonic standalone burners.
i highly doubt that any computer can really do that. straight dubbing from vcr to dvd. i mean, you encode to dv (or whatever) and then to mpeg2. even if you encode to mpeg 2, i think that trying to do it WHILE you burn would create problems.

i'm not sure what you mean in your second question. sure, you can capture footage through a tv tuning card or device, save it to the drive, then put it on to dvd later.... but i get the feeling you don't mean exactly that...?
Old Nov 26, 2002, 04:56 PM   #3
ftaok
macrumors 601

Re: DVD burn from outside source question

Quote:
Originally posted by zuffen

Thanks
This can be done with either the Formac Studio dv/tv or eyeTV. The Formac device will record in dv format. eyeTV records in mpeg format.

Both have software to let you do TiVo type things.
ftaok is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion