Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
So we have now seen HTC come out with their new 5 inch 1080P device. But it's HTC, and close to nobody cares. Yes those are harsh words, but HTC's overall sales numbers and market position shows close to nobody cares about HTC.
Samsung on the other hand is the king in the smartphone world. Their 4.8 inch GS3 has sold over 30 million, so it shows people want bigger displays. I can easily see Samsung taking the GS4 to 5 inches WITHOUT making the overall phone barely bigger or keeping it the same size. I think it's very safe to assume the GS4 will be 1080P and 5 inches. And I'm also expecting for the screen not to be pentile (based off the fact the Note 2 isn't pentile.) But considering the PPI wold be around 440 PPI, I'm confident it won't even matter.
For those that say you can't see over 300 PPI, I say Bullshlt. Just look at any review of the Droid DNA screen. See if any of them say the screen doesn't look sharper than any other screen with over 300PPI. Or better yest, look at a piece of print and compare it to your 300+ PPI screen.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Given that Samsung just developed a 4.99 1080p screen, I'd say your guess is correct. ppi is dependent on how far away you hold the screen so some people who hold it further won't notice while others will. Personally, I find 5" too much. The N4 at 4.7 is really my limit.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I totally agree with you, but more importantly, the GS4 will have the newest advancements in CPUs, the all mighty Exynos 5450 - with a quad-core A15 processor, clocked at 2GHz and a beefier Mali-658 GPU using 28nm process.

And let's not forget THIS little announcement.

Samsung is taking the mobile world in the right direction. I find their smartphones have come a long way with Touchwiz since the GS1. The new Touchwiz is packed with extremely useful features. The others just haven't caught on. Samsung also have full control of their supply chain since they invent and make all the important bits (CPU, RAM, Display). These guys are non-stop innovating, unlike others who just want to fight it out in the courtroom. Samsung is definitely putting the "Smart" back in Smartphones. Kudos to them.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I totally agree with you, but more importantly, the GS4 will have the newest advancements in CPUs, the all mighty Exynos 5450 - with a quad-core A15 processor, clocked at 2GHz and a beefier Mali-658 GPU using 28nm process.

Samsung is taking the mobile world in the right direction. I find their smartphones have come a long way with Touchwiz since the GS1. The new Touchwiz is packed with extremely useful features. The others just haven't caught on. Samsung also have full control of their supply chain since they invent and make all the important bits (CPU, RAM, Display). These guys are non-stop innovating, unlike others who just want to fight it out in the courtroom. Samsung is definitely putting the "Smart" back in Smartphones. Kudos to them.

I was pleasantly surprised with how good Touchwiz was as opposed to the previous versions. It is actually useful, and doesn't just add bulk (see Sense). I think their launcher still needs some work (like tabs in the app drawer), but it is still quite good.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

Don't apple have exclusive rights to the A15 though? Correct me if i'm wrong. And i wouldn't call making a phone with high specs innovation, the only thing i would call innovative that samsung is doing is in software.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Samsung is treading in dangerous territory with their Galaxy S line. Not too many people are sitting around wishing their Galaxy S3 was bigger. There are more people wishing it was a bit smaller, like 4.5 inches. Galaxy fans who want a bigger device already have the Note 2. Sales will drop on the S line if they make the S4 with a 5 inch screen. will be too big for your average user.

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Samsung is treading in dangerous territory with their Galaxy S line. Not too many people are sitting around wishing their Galaxy S3 was bigger. There are more people wishing it was a bit smaller, like 4.5 inches. Galaxy fans who want a bigger device already have the Note 2. Sales will drop on the S line if they make the S4 with a 5 inch screen. will be too big for your average user.

How are you gathering this information? I'm genuinely curious because I feel the same way, but I'm not positive everyone else does. The popularity of larger and larger devices is tremendous. I wouldn't be surprised if people actually loved that the S line gets bigger. Adding .2 inches from 4.7 to 4.99 isn't too bad, in my opinion, especially if they can do it within a similar sized frame (ie. less bezel).

But, I do think the Galaxy S line should stay in the 4-4.9" category, while the Note can continue offering 5+" to those who want it.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011

And you know how everyone with a GS3 is thinking how? Give it up buddy, we know your blind love for apple is only equalled by your blind hate for Samsung. If all true OEMs took a Page from Apple, we'd still be stuck at 3.5 inch screens. You can thank the android competition for Apple increasing screen size to 4 inches. This is Fact, considering how Steve and Apple (and the blind followers) felt about 4 inch phones.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I do agree the 5inch display should be reserved for the Note 3 but then again 4.8 to 5inch wont make the device bigger.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
If they want to make a 5 inch screen mainstream, they should make an all-screen device. THAT would be innovation. But no, instead they're going to cram specs and size into their chintzy plastic bodies, slap on some hideous, uninspired TouchWiz, and bill it as innovation. Sounds great.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It does seem like Samsung do listen to what consumers want/ask for and react accordingly.
Yes they do. It's why they are doing so well in such a very short time in the smartphone world. Now that I've been using Galaxy models with large displays for a couple of years it just feels normal.

On a lark, I tried the original Note. Initially it felt a bit too large, yet the convenience of having plenty of space to work with while composing emails, messages, or surfing the web, caused me to make a deliberate effort to get used to it. Not ten days later it occurred that it's size was no longer noticeable. The vast advantages became the focus. Now well over a year later, and I'm using the Galaxy Note 2. I find that even though I have the smaller Galaxy III, I end up choosing the Note 2 as my primary smartphone each day.

The other thing I've noticed is how predominate the Galaxy S III is amongst women uses. Out in public I have been seeing them everywhere. A distinct indication of Samsungs broad appeal.

----------

If they want to make a 5 inch screen mainstream, they should make an all-screen device. THAT would be innovation. But no, instead they're going to cram specs and size into their chintzy plastic bodies, slap on some hideous, uninspired TouchWiz, and bill it as innovation. Sounds great.
Sounds like Android Envy to me :)

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Samsung might make the GS4 with a 5" screen but they'll still make devices with multiple screen sizes so consumers will have variety and choice.

I'd be exicited to see what they'd do with the Note if the GS4 is 5".

KnightMan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah, because Apple is doing so much innovating and taking the industry to new boundaries. What a bloody joke Apple are with their scuff easy tin can they call a "premium" feeling device. The iPhone 5 and iOS6 has been one issue after another. So much for your "polished" OS that "just works."

Sorry my money is on Samsung. They have come so far and exceeded the iPhone in almost ever way in just 3 short years. They pioneered larger screens on devices with minimizing the overall physical size of the device at the same time. Touchwiz on it's own does more than iOS could ever dare offer the user. I just love how people continue to hate on things they have no experience with. Or they read how some piece of new software sucks, and continue to parrot this BS over the years like software can never improve. Move on son, move on.

As for build quality, let's see.... Most of us, NOT ALL, but an overwhelming MAJORITY of us change phones every 2-3 years. Why the F would any manufacturer wanna blow more cost on building a device to last FOREVER. Polycarbonate is the best choice to keep weight and cost at a minimum. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Samsung phones in terms of build quality. And they feel absolutely amazing in the hand. And considering the sales of the GS3, it seems a majority of the self thinking public can see this. Too bad for you, you don't see this. Ignorance isn't always bliss, sometimes it's just ignorant. :rolleyes:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Yeah, because Apple is doing so much innovating and taking the industry to new boundaries. What a bloody joke Apple are with their scuff easy tin can they call a "premium" feeling device. The iPhone 5 and iOS6 has been one issue after another. So much for your "polished" OS that "just works."

Sorry my money is on Samsung. They have come so far and exceeded the iPhone in almost ever way in just 3 short years. They pioneered larger screens on devices with minimizing the overall physical size of the device at the same time. Touchwiz on it's own does more than iOS could ever dare offer the user. I just love how people continue to hate on things they have no experience with. Or they read how some piece of new software sucks, and continue to parrot this BS over the years like software can never improve. Move on son, move on.

As for build quality, let's see.... Most of us, NOT ALL, but an overwhelming MAJORITY of us change phones every 2-3 years. Why the F would any manufacturer wanna blow more cost on building a device to last FOREVER. Polycarbonate is the best choice to keep weight and cost at a minimum. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Samsung phones in terms of build quality. And they feel absolutely amazing in the hand. And considering the sales of the GS3, it seems a majority of the self thinking public can see this. Too bad for you, you don't see this. Ignorance isn't always bliss, sometimes it's just ignorant. :rolleyes:

I am an iPhone user trying out Android with the Nexus 4. I consider myself, now at least, fairly unbiased. I see the benefit of iOS's simplicity and the benefit of being able to customize just about every aspect of an Android. But there were a few things in your argument that stood out.

Sorry my money is on Samsung.
I would agree to this. Samsung has been doing more innovating than Apple lately.

As for build quality, let's see.... Most of us, NOT ALL, but an overwhelming MAJORITY of us change phones every 2-3 years.
In which case there is plenty of time to accidentally drop your phone.
http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-test-116898/

Polycarbonate is the best choice to keep weight and cost at a minimum. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Samsung phones in terms of build quality.
While plastic is cheaper, I think manufacturers shouldn't always look at what is cheaper. Car manufacturers could easily build a car out of plastic and say "well the driver should just be careful to not get in an accident." But the problem is accidents will happen. Thinking accidents won't happen is just being ignorant.

Ignorance isn't always bliss, sometimes it's just ignorant. :rolleyes:
Indeed.

The iPhone 5 and iOS6 has been one issue after another. So much for your "polished" OS that "just works."
I find this interesting considering what you say in the next paragraph...

Or they read how some piece of new software sucks, and continue to parrot this BS over the years like software can never improve.
While I agree that iOS has some problems, so does Android. Both have their benefits and downfalls. And I also think that most of the crap Apple has been getting lately about Maps and Siri fall perfectly under this quote, where people just read about something small and make it a huge deal. I use Siri fairly often and never have any problems. Texting other people and setting location based reminders while in the car work great. I have also had no problems with maps.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
If they still give them for almost nothing but a contract, they will continue to outsell any other brand.

What?

When the S3's first came out, you think they were giving them away for free with a contract?

When the Note2 came out (which starts $100 more than other high-end smartphones), you think they were giving them away for free with a contract?

Let me say it one more time.

What?

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I can't wait till the new iphone comes out and has a 5" screen. Then all these fools who proclaimed the iphone 5 was the perfect size and samsung was too big, will find a million and one ways to justify why apple making a 5" screen is perfect.

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
What's nutty about the redesigned iPhone 5 is that Ive said they went back to the drawing board, and redesigned the phone from the ground up. Yet, it looks nearly identical to the iPhone 4/4S.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
In which case there is plenty of time to accidentally drop your phone.
http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-test-116898/

While plastic is cheaper, I think manufacturers shouldn't always look at what is cheaper. Car manufacturers could easily build a car out of plastic and say "well the driver should just be careful to not get in an accident." But the problem is accidents will happen. Thinking accidents won't happen is just being ignorant.

Ok, let me just say, I'm not 100% sure if you're being serious with comparing phones to cars in this respect. Trying to make a point by comparing something that only cost a few hundred dollars for most of us on contract to heavy machinery that cost tens of thousands and can be life threatening if built cheaply and with bad engineering is just ridiculous. You do understand most of us put on cases for our phones regardless of what kind of "premium materials" are used? And manufacturers who use polycarbonate to build their phones aren't saying that consumers shouldn't drop their phones. In fact, when the iPhone was showing up scratched out of the box, Apple actually had the nerve to say it was "normal" for aluminum to scuff and scratch that way. So much for premium materials. And nobody says accidents don't happen, because they do, that's why they're called accidents. And again, that's why most of us use a case. I don't care what material is used in a phone, when you drop it, it will scratch, chip, dent, etc.. So again, this is why we use cases. So yes, polycarbonate can and does still give a solidly built and feeling phone. My GS3 does not creak or rattle or feel cheaply built in anyway. The phone is solid while still giving me the full option of swapping batteries on heavy usage days and adding additional storage via sdcard.

So in regards to us dropping our devices, one of the most toughest and shock resistant mobile devices in the world is made of plastic, the G-Shock watch. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Ok, let me just say, I'm not 100% sure if you're being serious with comparing phones to cars in this respect. Trying to make a point by comparing something that only cost a few hundred dollars for most of us on contract to heavy machinery that cost tens of thousands and can be life threatening if built cheaply and with bad engineering is just ridiculous. You do understand most of us put on cases for our phones regardless of what kind of "premium materials" are used? And manufacturers who use polycarbonate to build their phones aren't saying that consumers shouldn't drop their phones. In fact, when the iPhone was showing up scratched out of the box, Apple actually had the nerve to say it was "normal" for aluminum to scuff and scratch that way. So much for premium materials. And nobody says accidents don't happen, because they do, that's why they're called accidents. And again, that's why most of us use a case. I don't care what material is used in a phone, when you drop it, it will scratch, chip, dent, etc.. So again, this is why we use cases. So yes, polycarbonate can and does still give a solidly built and feeling phone. My GS3 does not creak or rattle or feel cheaply built in anyway. The phone is solid while still giving me the full option of swapping batteries on heavy usage days and adding additional storage via sdcard.

So in regards to us dropping our devices, one of the most toughest and shock resistant mobile devices in the world is made of plastic, the G-Shock watch. Go figure. :rolleyes:

The point of bringing cars in, which you clearly missed, was that you can't plan on somebody dropping their phone. So build for the worst. The point was not at all about cars lasting longer than phones. I am pretty sure the average cost will live longer than a phone haha

And would you rather have a scuffed back or a shattered back? I would always prefer scuffed over shattered.

And in regards to your GS3, thats great. Good for you. I have nothing against it. The whole point was that in general, something made of aluminum will last longer than something made of plastic. Sorry that point wasn't clear enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.