Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Envaproductins
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Unlock iPhone 4s info

I am looking to et a iPhone 4s with virgin mobile but that's $649! But is there anyway I can get a iPhone 4s let's say with Verizon AT&T or tmobile for $100 then unlock it and get virgin mobiles service with it? The only reason I want to get virgin mobile service because it's $35 a month with unlimited text and data and 300 call minutes. Do u think that's possible?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Sure, as long as you let enough time pass in order to keep the phone and pay the ETF.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
What do u mean by that?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:07 PM   #4
iPh0neTy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envaproductins View Post
I am looking to et a iPhone 4s with virgin mobile but that's $649! But is there anyway I can get a iPhone 4s let's say with Verizon AT&T or tmobile for $100 then unlock it and get virgin mobiles service with it? The only reason I want to get virgin mobile service because it's $35 a month with unlimited text and data and 300 call minutes. Do u think that's possible?
Virgin mobile is a CDMA network. You would need to find out if there is a local wireless shop that can flash another CDMA (sprint, Verizon, Cricket) iPhone 4S to Virgin. It would not be possible to flash a gsm iPhone like AT&T to Virgin because even though its possible to unlock a CDMA iPhone 4S to a gsm network it's not possible to flash a gsm iPhone to a CDMA network. Flashing the device would cost around 50 dollars and will depend on the iOS version. I would call around and see what's possible.

As far as a factory unlocked iPhone 4S goes, even if its originally for a cdma network they are only unlocked to work on any gsm network and can't be activated to another CDMA network. It would have to be flashed regardless.

Last edited by iPh0neTy; Nov 18, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
Virgin mobile is a CDMA network. You would need to find out if there is a local wireless shop that can flash another CDMA (sprint, Verizon, Cricket) iPhone 4S to Virgin. It would not be possible to flash a gsm iPhone like AT&T to Virgin because even though its possible to unlock a CDMA iPhone 4S to a gsm network it's not possible to flash a gsm iPhone to a CDMA network. Flashing the device would cost around 50 dollars and will depend on the iOS version. I would call around and see what's possible.
What do u mean by flashing? So if I get a iPhone 4s with Verizon I have to ask company's if they can flash it for me?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
iPh0neTy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envaproductins View Post
What do u mean by flashing? So if I get a iPhone 4s with Verizon I have to ask company's if they can flash it for me?
Flashing is the equivalent of unlocking but for CDMA networks. Since cdma networks dont use sim cards the MEID (mobile electronic identification) is used to activate a the device to the network. The meid must be registered to the network before it can be activated so "flashing" is a process where you use software programs linked with the networks system to register & activate CDMA devices to another network. It also change carrier bundles inside the phone so it functions properly with the new network.

The carrier will not flash it for you. You would need to contact a 3rd party wireless shop in your area. Many wireless repair shops and 3rd party sellers can do it.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ok so I should be able to contact Verizon or Tmobile or cricket or a phone repair shop and they should be able to do it? Do I just ask if they can flash my iPhone 4s to virgin mobile ? So I'm gonna buy a iPhone 4s 16gb from apple.com and so do I buy it with Verizon? And once the phone gets to my house can I just go to a shop and ask them?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
iPh0neTy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envaproductins View Post
Ok so I should be able to contact Verizon or Tmobile or cricket or a phone repair shop and they should be able to do it? Do I just ask if they can flash my iPhone 4s to virgin mobile ? So I'm gonna buy a iPhone 4s 16gb from apple.com and so do I buy it with Verizon? And once the phone gets to my house can I just go to a shop and ask them?
If you are just going to buy one from apple, don't they already have Virgin Mobile iPhone's? To flash one you would need a CDMA iPhone so Sprint, Verizon, Cricket, C-Spire. T-mobile and AT&T are GSM and won't work.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:46 PM   #9
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envaproductins View Post
What do u mean by that?
By that, I mean you can't get one at the subsidized price unless you satisfy the contract by fulfilling it or paying the ETF. If you do the latter, you'd need to wait for a month (I think) in order to keep the iPhone. Otherwise, they'll make you return it.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
So I have to buy a iPhone 4s from virgin mobile for $649 or a iPhone 4s from apple.com for $100 then wait a month before I can get virgin mobile service with it?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I'm sorry I'm a little confused
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
By that, I mean you can't get one at the subsidized price unless you satisfy the contract by fulfilling it or paying the ETF. If you do the latter, you'd need to wait for a month (I think) in order to keep the iPhone. Otherwise, they'll make you return it.
What do you mean if I do the latter?
And if I pay what subsidized price?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:30 PM   #13
awadeee
macrumors 68020
 
awadeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Viper City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envaproductins View Post
So I have to buy a iPhone 4s from virgin mobile for $649 or a iPhone 4s from apple.com for $100 then wait a month before I can get virgin mobile service with it?
Are you talking about Virgin Mobile Canada or Virgin Mobile USA? I work at one of their locations in Canada and we're an HSPA network, owned by Bell. However in the USA the Virgin name is owned by Sprint I believe, who are strictly CDMA. In which case you'd have to flash it somehow which would be a mega pain in the ass and if you bought it on contract you'd still be looking at fulfilling the terms of your original agreement, or pay ECF which would defeat the purpose of signing an agreement in the first place.

Buy an unlocked one at an Apple store duder, and sign up with a GSM/HSPA carrier in your area.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've frequented this site.
__________________
Ebb & flow.
awadeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:48 PM   #14
nerdybooboo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West coast PST
what shall we do ...

with a drunken sailor, what shall we do ...

nerdybooboo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by awadeee View Post
Are you talking about Virgin Mobile Canada or Virgin Mobile USA? I work at one of their locations in Canada and we're an HSPA network, owned by Bell. However in the USA the Virgin name is owned by Sprint I believe, who are strictly CDMA. In which case you'd have to flash it somehow which would be a mega pain in the ass and if you bought it on contract you'd still be looking at fulfilling the terms of your original agreement, or pay ECF which would defeat the purpose of signing an agreement in the first place.

Buy an unlocked one at an Apple store duder, and sign up with a GSM/HSPA carrier in your area.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've frequented this site.
So u want me to buy an unlocked iPhone 4s from apple store and tell them to put virgin Mobile on it? And it's USA
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Garen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envaproductins View Post
So u want me to buy an unlocked iPhone 4s from apple store and tell them to put virgin Mobile on it? And it's USA
He is suggesting to go with GSM carrier like AT&T, T-mobile or straighttalk and don't bother with Virgin Mobile which uses CDMA protocol
__________________
2010 Hexacore 3.3 24GB 120 SSD 24 ACD, 2007 3.0 Octocore 24GB 256 SSD 30 ACD, G5 2.0 Dual 23 ACD, 2.4 Ghz 15 MBP.
Garen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garen View Post
He is suggesting to go with GSM carrier like AT&T, T-mobile or straighttalk and don't bother with Virgin Mobile which uses CDMA protocol
Do they have a $30 monthly plan I can use like virgin mobile has?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:52 PM   #18
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
iphone straight talk unlock info

how do i use straight talk on iphone 4s?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:55 PM   #19
as0016
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
You're not going to materially save any money, and since virgin now offers the iphone 4 and 4s it's become almost impossible to flash a verizon or sprint over to it.

It wouldn't come out any cheaper for you even if you could flash it (which as I understand you pretty much cant anymore) unless you bought one used (in which case its gonna cost more than 100). Here's why:

If you buy a verizon iPhone new for 100. You're going to have to pay around 80-100 for the first months bill. Then you're going to have to pay a 350 for the ETF from verizon. Total 550 plus.

Buy the virgin one and be done with it.
as0016 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:57 PM   #20
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by as0016 View Post
You're not going to materially save any money, and since virgin now offers the iphone 4 and 4s it's become almost impossible to flash a verizon or sprint over to it.

It wouldn't come out any cheaper for you even if you could flash it (which as I understand you pretty much cant anymore) unless you bought one used (in which case its gonna cost more than 100). Here's why:

If you buy a verizon iPhone new for 100. You're going to have to pay around 80-100 for the first months bill. Then you're going to have to pay a 350 for the ETF from verizon. Total 550 plus.

Buy the virgin one and be done with it.

whats the ETF?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:01 PM   #21
as0016
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Early Termination Fee - because you didn't stick out the length of the contract (they expect you to stay 2 years if you're getting the phone for 100 bucks).
as0016 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Nyy8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England
This is all seems a little errr... too complicated for the OP. OP, just go with Verizon or something.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB, iPhone 6 Space Grey 16GB,
iMac 21.5 inch, 2.5 GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
Nyy8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:40 PM   #23
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
So I should just get a iPhone 4s from virginmobileUSA.com?
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:57 PM   #24
Envaproductins
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Sima get an iPhone 4s and get on a family plan how much will it be just for me to get unlimited text and data cause the family plan already has 700 minutes for everyone
Envaproductins is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unlock fusion slow/not working? Swiftunlocks pulls AT&T iPhone unlock service down? iredrock iPhone 100 Aug 31, 2014 05:19 PM
Carrier: Can I trust iphoneimei.info to unlock my iphone? cristian.calin iPhone 6 Dec 10, 2013 06:48 AM
Unlock Iphone 4s Info Envaproductins iPhone 2 Nov 17, 2012 10:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC