Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Charger light goes off, battery not charging, but MBA is powered. Advice?

This has been happening more and more frequently lately. I'll plug my 2010 11" MBA in, and after a minute or two, the light on the charger will turn off. This doesn't happen every time, but I've noticed it happen 4 times this past week. Disconnecting and reconnecting the magsafe resolves the issue, at least until the next time.

Yesterday, I ran the battery down until it was almost dead. I plugged it in for a couple hours, and when I came back, the battery symbol was "charging" but the charger's light was off. When I disconnected the charger, the battery was at the same place it was when I had left it a couple hours before. So basically the battery didn't charge, but the laptop was still being powered that whole time.

Any suggestions? I'm out of warranty, and it doesn't happen that often, so I'm not sure I could reproduce the issue in front of a genius.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:21 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
This has been happening more and more frequently lately. I'll plug my 2010 11" MBA in, and after a minute or two, the light on the charger will turn off. This doesn't happen every time, but I've noticed it happen 4 times this past week. Disconnecting and reconnecting the magsafe resolves the issue, at least until the next time.
What was the charge level when you plugged it in? If it's over 93%, it's normal that it may not charge any more, until it drops below 93%.

See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:21 PM   #3
ritmomundo
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
What was the charge level when you plugged it in? If it's over 93%, it's normal that it may not charge any more, until it drops below 93%.

See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
It was below 10% when I plugged it in.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:41 PM   #4
supernet33
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I had the SAME issue with my MBA 2010. I took it into apple 3 times. They replaced the cable(inside MBA going to the power socket) and the Moho to fix the issue.
__________________
15" Macbook Pro core i5 2010, 11" Macbook Air 2011, Verzion iPhone 4s, New iPad (3), Apple TV 3rd gen, Air Port Extreme.
http://www.restartyourcomputer.net
supernet33 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:14 AM   #5
ritmomundo
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernet33 View Post
I had the SAME issue with my MBA 2010. I took it into apple 3 times. They replaced the cable(inside MBA going to the power socket) and the Moho to fix the issue.
Wow, so they'll have to open it all up. I doubt that they would take care of that for free for me since its been out of warranty for a year, but I will still need to get it fixed. What did you say when you went in? Just what I explained in my original post, or was there more to it? Also, I don't know how to reproduce the issue at will for them. It only happens intermittently.

And what is a Moho?
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Wow, so they'll have to open it all up. I doubt that they would take care of that for free for me since its been out of warranty for a year, but I will still need to get it fixed. What did you say when you went in? Just what I explained in my original post, or was there more to it? Also, I don't know how to reproduce the issue at will for them. It only happens intermittently.

And what is a Moho?
What you are seeing is definitely not normal.

I think he means motherboard (Mobo) and it was a typo.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Acorn
macrumors 68020
 
Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fangorn Forest
this happens with my 2010 macbook pro occasionally. usually if the green light goes out it goes out within the first minute ot two of being plugged in. if it stays green longer then that it is usually ok.

This was a problem along time ago and it went away when i got a new power adapter. it was good for about 8 months now its acting up again.
__________________
o/
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:18 AM   #8
toxic
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I cleaned the contacts a few days ago with a clean pencil eraser, works so far.
toxic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:31 AM   #9
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY.
Check to see the condition of your battery:
http://lifehacker.com/5676775/check-...ystem-profiler
__________________
15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
ChrisMan287 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging problem, help! Battery or charger? moosquared MacBook Pro 0 Jan 25, 2014 10:19 AM
Please help--battery isn't charging but charger seems to work lil1998 MacBook Pro 2 Jul 27, 2013 11:15 AM
AA battery powered iphone 5 charger Kissaragi iPhone Accessories 2 Feb 25, 2013 07:07 PM
Sudden difficulties charging 2011 MBA while powered on FlotationDevice MacBook Air 2 Sep 6, 2012 12:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps