Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Over the years Apple has found huge success in miniaturizing their most popular products. iPod mini, Mac mini, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, MacBook Air 11", all of these products were shrunken- down successful offsprings. The iPad mini is the latest in Apple's miniaturization cycle. It's everything you love about the full sized iPad in a smaller and sleeker package. Shrinking it doesn't feel like a compromise in any way. In my opinion it makes the iPad experience even more enjoyable. I've had my iPad mini for a few days now and I am using it much more than the 3 previous full-sized iPads I have owned. I carry it around and take it with me because it no longer feels like a device that's supposed to remain on a coffee table or a night stand due to it's almost 10" screen. It's incredibly thin and light which makes it a pleasure to hold and use for extended periods. Typing on it feels natural, especially in portrait mode using your thumbs. You don't have to adjust the way you're holding it in order to stretch your fingers across the device in order to type. The screen is still big enough to give you that "iPad experience" you know and love. It's all iPad and the mini in it makes all the difference and it's a huge difference!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's cool but you know the iPad has a split keyboard, right? I'm using it now as a matter of fact.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
...you know the iPad has a split keyboard, right?
I didn't, so thanks! But now that I'm using it for the first time, I can't see how to split the keyboard while leaving it docked. Is that not possible or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Tom

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Yeah, i know it has it and I've used it and it definitely helps. I still felt like I was stretching and adjusting the iPad even in order to do that. I type so much faster on the iPad mini. It does not feel top heavy at all while typing in portrait, using the split keyboard on my iPad 3 it definitely was less stretching but I still had to adjust myself to the iPad as to not feel like it was top heavy. With the iPad mini it kind of reminds me of a larger Treo, BlackBerry smartphone due to the rightamount of spacing to thumb type using both thumbs and never stretching or feeling top heavy.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I knew about split screen as well and lets just say I too type so much faster on the mini iPad. Its actually great for texting.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I didn't, so thanks! But now that I'm using it for the first time, I can't see how to split the keyboard while leaving it docked. Is that not possible or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Tom

You can lower it or raise it on screen but you can't dock it as far as I know.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
yeah typing is so much better on the mini. the split keyboard is ok but still kinda sucks on the full size. they need to make the keys bigger when split.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.