Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:38 PM   #1
cpb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Buy MBA now...?

Hi all,

Looking to buy a MBA (11" 8gb ram, 128gb SSD, 2 ghz i7).

Is it worth waiting for the rumoured Haswell models or taking the plunge (giving my MBP to the missus as she's starting a degree).

Cheers
cpb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a
 
iAppl3Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Buy now. There's no time like the present.
__________________
 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2013) + Dual 27" Thunderbolt Display
 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Mid 2012) + 24" LED Cinema Display
 TV |  Time Capsule |  iPod |  iPhone |  iPad Air/mini
iAppl3Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:47 PM   #3
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
IF you need something now, then buy it. If you can wait until later this spring, then wait.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4
617aircav
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpb View Post
Hi all,

Looking to buy a MBA (11" 8gb ram, 128gb SSD, 2 ghz i7).

Is it worth waiting for the rumoured Haswell models or taking the plunge (giving my MBP to the missus as she's starting a degree).

Cheers
Depends on you. Worth it is subjective. The only right answer here is yours.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
cpb
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Yeah, I guess it is down to me!
cpb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:03 PM   #6
tmarks11
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
Click on the buyers guide tab above.

"Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" is what it says about MBA.

That is somewhat misleading, since it is averaging years of MBA refreshes, and I think the average cycle time is a bit off. The next MBA will probably be released in Jun or Jul.

Can you wait until then?
tmarks11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Still100
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I thought there was news from intel at CES that haswell for laptops was delayed till the end of the year?
Still100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:11 PM   #8
cpb
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I could wait until June/July, it's more price dependant I guess. If the Haswell chips push the price up, it'll be a pain!

And it looks like the chips aren't being launched until June so not a lock for the next MBA refersh anyway.
cpb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:41 PM   #9
ybz90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpb View Post
I could wait until June/July, it's more price dependant I guess. If the Haswell chips push the price up, it'll be a pain!

And it looks like the chips aren't being launched until June so not a lock for the next MBA refersh anyway.
The price points are highly, highly unlikely to change. The Macbook line will inevitably be refreshed to Haswell, it's just an issue of when. If you don't need it, I'd wait, even if it might be 6 months or more. Otherwise, just go for it. I'm personally waiting for the Haswell Mini myself, but Air suffices for the time being.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:18 PM   #10
NightMoose
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I bought my MBA less than a week ago and I couldn't be happier. Got a good deal on it too (13" 8GB RAM for $1150 New!). The only way I'd regret not waiting is if the new refreshed 2013 MBA came with a retina display, which by all accounts doesn't seem like it'll happen.

Haswell is a little faster and uses less energy, but the real benefit is the upgrade in graphics. The mid-2012 is plenty fast for everyday use and a faster graphics processor wouldn't do me much good. Only hold out if you can think of reasons for needing the slight upgrade to Haswell. Otherwise, find a good deal on the mid-2012.
NightMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:24 PM   #11
macAllen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightMoose View Post
I bought my MBA less than a week ago and I couldn't be happier. Got a good deal on it too (13" 8GB RAM for $1150 New!). The only way I'd regret not waiting is if the new refreshed 2013 MBA came with a retina display, which by all accounts doesn't seem like it'll happen.

Haswell is a little faster and uses less energy, but the real benefit is the upgrade in graphics. The mid-2012 is plenty fast for everyday use and a faster graphics processor wouldn't do me much good. Only hold out if you can think of reasons for needing the slight upgrade to Haswell. Otherwise, find a good deal on the mid-2012.
$1150!?!?!?

Where?
__________________
Allen - My Instagram
macAllen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:43 PM   #12
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
IF you need something now, then buy it. If you can wait until later this spring, then wait.
I would expect it to be later than Spring. The desktop models are set to debut first. Assuming the OP lives in the northern hemisphere, summer is more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpb View Post
I could wait until June/July, it's more price dependant I guess. If the Haswell chips push the price up, it'll be a pain!

And it looks like the chips aren't being launched until June so not a lock for the next MBA refersh anyway.
This is an invalid concern. The new chips typically slide into the price points of the old ones. If Apple raised the price to cover increased cost of upgrades from the tail end of one cycle to the start of another, that would mean annual price increases in spite of relatively static chip pricing from year to year.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:43 PM   #13
hkim1983
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I would also like to know where you got a 2012 MBA with 8 GB of ram for $1150...because I would jump on that right now...
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:45 PM   #14
NightMoose
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macAllen View Post
$1150!?!?!?

Where?
BestBuy Canada had a huge overstock sale on MBA and MBP. They are authorized Apple dealers and I just lucked out and happened to check.



The sale ended on Feb 1st. I posted the sale here, as well as on the MBP forum, on January 22nd but the mod moved it to the forum for buying tips and advice. I had been in the market for less than a week before I stumbled on this sale. A little patience and you'll save.

Last edited by NightMoose; Feb 2, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
NightMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Still100
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Forget graphics, Isn't the main benefit of haswell the battery life increases? If a 11" air could get 12 hours
Still100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:13 PM   #16
kage207
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still100 View Post
Forget graphics, Isn't the main benefit of haswell the battery life increases? If a 11" air could get 12 hours
I'm guessing Apple is going to rate battery life for 11" at 7 hours and 10 hours for the 13" with Haswell. I mean that's a 40% increase in battery life, crazy good. I'm just having a hard time seeing anything over 100% increase in battery life.
__________________
MBA 13", i5 1.8GHz, 8GM RAM, 128GB SSD
These are amazing products that enrich our lives that we see as toys, remember that they are expensive and should be used as tools to reach our dreams~
kage207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:39 PM   #17
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightMoose View Post
BestBuy Canada had a huge overstock sale on MBA and MBP. They are authorized Apple dealers and I just lucked out and happened to check.

Image

The sale ended on Feb 1st. I posted the sale here, as well as on the MBP forum, on January 22nd but the mod moved it to the forum for buying tips and advice. I had been in the market for less than a week before I stumbled on this sale. A little patience and you'll save.
Amazon.com is also having the same sale. It's between $99-$200 off select laptaps.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:05 PM   #18
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I'd say this time of year, Apple is going all retina with MBPs and MBA becomes the low-end with the regular display.

Haswell is indeed promising with the iGP improvements. Certainly can be a great challenge to GT650M from yesteryear. And having lower resolution than retina is indeed a unique advantage for not taxing the GPU so hard.
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
Sent from Paper Street Soap. Co
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:15 PM   #19
Violet1337
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpb View Post
Hi all,

Looking to buy a MBA (11" 8gb ram, 128gb SSD, 2 ghz i7).

Is it worth waiting for the rumoured Haswell models or taking the plunge (giving my MBP to the missus as she's starting a degree).

Cheers
I, too, have been stuck with this dilemma for the past few weeks and have been desperately wanting to own a MacBook Air for University use (starts in a few weeks), casual use and some light gaming however, after much deliberation with myself, I have decided to wait 5 or so months for the release of the 2013 Air. Hopefully, the wait will be well worth it.
__________________
MacBook Air 2012 4GB RAM/128GB SSD/13"
Violet1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:35 AM   #20
Geekbabe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I'm waiting for Haswell to upgrade but I'm waiting with a July 2011 MBA. If you need a system now it makes sense to get one, there are some good deals popping up lately.
Geekbabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy AppleCare for 2011 MBA or sell and get 2012 MBA? dmk1974 MacBook Air 3 Nov 11, 2012 10:02 AM
Buy applecare $200 or sell MBA and buy new version NYRangers11 MacBook Air 7 Jul 20, 2012 01:06 PM
Should I replace my MBP with latest MBA or keep it and buy refurb MBA? yensteel Buying Tips and Advice 5 Jun 29, 2012 01:52 AM
buy a MBA 13" now and resell later to buy rMBP 13"? happyevil Buying Tips and Advice 1 Jun 25, 2012 10:52 AM
Which to buy? Refurb 2011 MBA or new 2012 MBA? gdog75 MacBook Air 21 Jun 18, 2012 12:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC