Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadProd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Hi...I my goal is to obtain a CS major in college (Currently a senior in HS), and as a side hobby of sorts I want to get into developing iOS apps. Currently, my only experience with programming is Python...I finished this book on it at least, nothing more:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.111.6062&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I currently have the book Programming in Objective C 2.0 by Kochan, however I won't be getting a Mac until spring next year...so I can't follow it without XCode.

What should I study that is hands on until then?

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
No Mac till next year, bummer. It's tough to learn without doing. It's by typing out the code and testing it is how you see what happens.

But, if you have a PC right now you might think about Java. Java is an object oriented language like Objective C and would help you grasp the concepts and make it easier to move in to Objective C when you upgrade your lifestyle to a Mac :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Learn C. Check out Learn C the Hard Way, it's a free ebook, google it.

Obj-C is just a superset of C (All valid C code is also valid Obj-C code.)

And while Java is OO, I think I'd recommend C++ instead to cover OO, as C++ is also a superset of C (most valid C code, though not all, is valid C++ code.) Java does have many similarities with the others, but I think C++ is closer to C/Obj-C than Java is.

Also... I tend to recommend an engineering major rather than a CS major. CS majors are for people too lazy to teach themselves programming, and the fact that you're asking us to help you learn how to program is evidence you're not one of them. Personally, I'm perusing a degree in Computer Engineering. It's had a nice blend of programming and electrical engineering classes - I can build a calculator and program it, too.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
The early parts if not most of that book are basic Objective-C. You could follow most of the book on any NeXTStep descendant. Like GNUStep which has a windows based installer.

That way you could get going on that book now.

Which every way you go at some point you'll need to learn C so why not now?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Also... I tend to recommend an engineering major rather than a CS major. CS majors are for people too lazy to teach themselves programming...

I found the exact opposite when I was in college (which, admittedly, was quite some time ago). In other words, don't put your faith in blanket statements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.