Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Unlocked iPhone 5 Compatibility Question

When Apple finally sells the officially unlocked version in stores, will it be one device that will work across all of the U.S. carriers? Or will it be GSM or CDMA like the 4S?
The reason I'm asking is because my wife will let me buy an iPhone 5 at full price, with the intention of switching to T-Mobile once their 3G coverage supports the iPhone in our area. Rather than waiting for that to happen to get the iPhone 5 I was thinking that I would buy one and use it with my Verizon unlimited plan in the meantime. So I was hoping that when they do release it that I would be able to bring my "Verizon" iPhone 5 over to T-Mobile without having to get another device.
The only downside to this that I can see would be missing the LTE data speeds. We're definitely switching to T-Mobile though since our monthly bill will be about $60 cheaper per month.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

No.
Most likelly it will be a GSM factory unlocked model like before.
You still wont be able to activate it on CDMA carriers such as verizon or Sprint.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:01 PM   #3
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
No.
Most likelly it will be a GSM factory unlocked model like before.
You still wont be able to activate it on CDMA carriers such as verizon or Sprint.
That sucks. I thought I've read posts about people putting their T-Mobile sim into Verizon iPhone 5's and it working though. Is there something more to that?

----------

I found this tidbit in another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOFY View Post
Doesnt matter if you bought it full price or under contract. The iPhone 5 is unlocked to all carriers via the 3G sim slot right out of the box due to FCC regulations with Verizon. Long story short you can use it on any carrier right now with 3G*.
If that's true then I could just go out and get the Verizon version and have nothing to worry about? I'm just concerned that in the future a software update or something could lock it to only Verizon. I have no interest in taking a $650 gamble.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Bruins Fan
macrumors member

Why not buy the Verizon iPhone 5 off contract? You can use it on Verizon's CDMA and LTE network and if you ever want to use it on TMO (or other GSM carrier), you'll be able to since it's GSM unlocked. It seems highly unlikely VZW will suddenly lock it, IMHO.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Shockwave78
macrumors 6502a

I bought my Verizon 64gb i5 at full retail price... I keep reading everywhere these phones are unlocked.

I should have no issue popping in a AT&T SIM card or alike and using it on there network with full LTE capabilities correct?
Shockwave78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
Why not buy the Verizon iPhone 5 off contract? You can use it on Verizon's CDMA and LTE network and if you ever want to use it on TMO (or other GSM carrier), you'll be able to since it's GSM unlocked. It seems highly unlikely VZW will suddenly lock it, IMHO.
I'll have to stop by the Verizon store and find out. If it is indeed GSM unlocked and will stay that way I might just pick one up.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave78 View Post
I bought my Verizon 64gb i5 at full retail price... I keep reading everywhere these phones are unlocked.

I should have no issue popping in a AT&T SIM card or alike and using it on there network with full LTE capabilities correct?
You can pop up any gsm sim but you still wont get LTE with AT&T.
The verizon iphone 5 doesnt have the bands to support AT&T LTE. Just verizons and some other carriers LTE bands outside the US.
You will still get 2G, 3G and hspa+ with AT&T and tmobile in the US.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone