Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
MorganJones
macrumors member

Unhappy How hard will it be to upgrade RAM on 21"

I already know that the RAM is not user upgradable but does this new stir friction welding make it even harder for us to pull apart the iMac to install our own RAM anyway?
MorganJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganJones View Post
I already know that the RAM is not user upgradable but does this new stir friction welding make it even harder for us to pull apart the iMac to install our own RAM anyway?
I would guess that the RAM on the 21" iMac might just be soldered into the motherboard, if their latest laptops are any indication....
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
joe-h2o
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
We have no idea until someone does a teardown. It might not be upgradable at all - ie, soldered to the logic board.

It might just be hard to get to. Until someone actually gets their hands on one and takes it apart, the only people who can give you a definitive answer are Apple themselves.
joe-h2o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
MorganJones
macrumors member

Now that would really suck... Looks like an expensive leap for 16 gb RAM then
MorganJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:16 PM   #5
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
No idea until the first tear down, usually within 24-48 hours of release.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:18 PM   #6
MojoRisinSD
macrumors member

Quote:
The new welding process will have no effect on getting into the iMac. Everything depends on if they still use magnets or some kind of clips to hold the glass/display in place. If they do still use magnets or clips, it will be possible if the ram is not soldered to the logic board. If the display is held in place with any kind of adhesive, you will probably be out of luck.
MojoRisinSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7
JaHull
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
I would guess that the RAM on the 21" iMac might just be soldered into the motherboard, if their latest laptops are any indication....
looking at the Tech Specs page on the iMac webpage it says "8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory" under the memory section which would indicate that it is not soldered on, since it would be on 1 chip if it was soldered on.
JaHull is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:11 PM   #8
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaHull View Post
looking at the Tech Specs page on the iMac webpage it says "8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory" under the memory section which would indicate that it is not soldered on, since it would be on 1 chip if it was soldered on.
It's 2 x 4GB because it's dual channel RAM. The total number of actual chips involved could be 4, 8, or 16, depending on the density of the individual chips. The original 4GB that came with my MBP had 32 total chips, 16 on each module, the 8GB I upgraded to has 16 total chips.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac