Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I returned my iPad 4 today. I'm a little sad to see it go but it just wasn't doing it for me. Had it for a few days and figured out I can't be without a real computer. I tried to substitute a computer with the iPad and the iPad is way too limited. Not saying I didn't already know that, but I wanted to give it a shot anyway. Gonna save up a bit more money and get a mbp. Probably the 15" retina model. I can't imagine a low res screen in my life anymore.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
iPads aren't meant to replace laptops. They're mainly used as portable mini-computers for intraday use. I usually use my laptop whenever I'm at home - never really need to bring it out to public because wherever I'm going (work or school) usually has computers readily available.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
iPads aren't meant to replace laptops. They're mainly used as portable mini-computers for intraday use. I usually use my laptop whenever I'm at home - never really need to bring it out to public because wherever I'm going (work or school) usually has computers readily available.

I take my rMBP15 and my iPad4 to school, even though I always have 2x 30 inch monitors available in my research lab. ;) Must always have high resolution device near me :)

I always run the rMBP at 2880x1800 so I'm just a little bit crazy.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Now i only use my laptop for downloading movies. Maybe because it is very slow and old.

My Ipad 2 is doing everything else all faster. Browsing internet, play games, music, video, and read magazine. Screen might be smaller but u can just pinch zoom. Battery stand by much longer.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Now i only use my laptop for downloading movies. Maybe because it is very slow and old.

My Ipad 2 is doing everything else all faster. Browsing internet, play games, music, video, and read magazine. Screen might be smaller but u can just pinch zoom. Battery stand by much longer.

Ditto. Looking to get a MBA but will wait for the right price (hopefully, a Black Friday sale).

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010

I had read a couple of articles where some people used an iPad as their main computing source. Decided to give it a shot since I've been without a computer for the past 2-3 weeks (desktop PC decided it was time to die) and didn't feel like spending money on a mbp without giving the iPad a chance. Now I know and I'll be getting a 13" rMBP sometime next week.

----------

Ditto. Looking to get a MBA but will wait for the right price (hopefully, a Black Friday sale).

I've been looking at the Black Friday ads and at best, the most you'll save is $50. Not worth the hassle of being surrounded by desperate dangerous people IMO.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I've been looking at the Black Friday ads and at best, the most you'll save is $50. Not worth the hassle of being surrounded by desperate dangerous people IMO.

I'm hoping Amazon discounts the MBA as then I can avoid any crowds and not pay any sales tax (Online sales from Amazon don't charge any tax in my state).

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
OP, you would have to put in more effort that a couple of days to get it to work for you. Not to mention what apps did you buy for it? The people using it as their only computer, or like me as a tool for work, put in the time to find the right apps, for what we want/need out of it.

It won't replace my laptop, but it is my go to device 70% or more of the time.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm hoping Amazon discounts the MBA as then I can avoid any crowds and not pay any sales tax (Online sales from Amazon don't charge any tax in my state).

check out apples refurb ebay store. they don't charge in all but like 5 states. I ordered a refurb air last week and had it shipped to a NH apple store to avoid tax.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I returned my iPad 4 today. I'm a little sad to see it go but it just wasn't doing it for me. Had it for a few days and figured out I can't be without a real computer. I tried to substitute a computer with the iPad and the iPad is way too limited. Not saying I didn't already know that, but I wanted to give it a shot anyway. Gonna save up a bit more money and get a mbp. Probably the 15" retina model. I can't imagine a low res screen in my life anymore.

If you think iPad is a real computer then you're wrong. iPad is not a 'real' computer (I know what you mean) but it can augment or simulate a lot of tasks originally done by the traditional laptop or desktop computers. It is also much better is some kind of tasks like reading magazines, browsing the web on the go, and some games that are best played with touch controls like Bejeweled HD.

Also, you can do some basic productivity work using the iWork suite or Google Docs. You can access your files using Dropbox. You can check and reply to your e-mail on the go easily (if you have the LTE/3G version). You have to know that iPad is a different device. It's not a laptop without the keyboard.

If you wanted a laptop without keyboard, there are some on the market with Windows 7, and you can see how horrible they are. The 'real computer' like Surface Pro is not out yet and we don't know when will it be available and how 'good' will be the battery life etc. The reviews of Surface RT are not very good.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I missed it too much. I have my iPad 4th generation back! And instead of getting a rMBP I'm going to get the new iMac :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.