Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1
flashfang
macrumors newbie

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX in the new iMAC2012

Hi everyone,
the new iMac 2012 is coming soon.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX in the new iMAC can now be used for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer in AE(after effect) ,isn't it?
Will the GTX 680MX be compatible with the Mercury engine that supposedly speeds up AE(after effect) like a charm?

Last edited by flashfang; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
flashfang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:58 AM   #2
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfang View Post
Hi everyone,
the new iMac 2012 is coming soon.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX in the new iMAC can now be used for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer ,isn't it?
Will the GTX 680MX be compatible with the Mercury engine that supposedly speeds up AE like a charm?
FYI, 90% of people here will have no clue what you're talking about because they've never used After Effects in their lives, and you're using fairly specific terms. Probably a better question for the "digital video" forum.

That aside, the GTX 680MX isn't listed under "additional acceleration" on on this page for Premiere, so I wouldn't imagine that After Effects gets that benefit either. So, it'll be better than no GPU, but AE isn't optimized to use it.

This might be useful to read as well, though it doesn't say anything about the GTX 680MX.

This page mentions the GTX 680, so I would imagine the GTX 680MX is also supported for the 3D raytracer, though, again, not optimized, like professional grade Quadro cards that the first link mentions.

Last edited by 12dylan34; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
FYI, 90% of people here will have no clue what you're talking about because they've never used After Effects in their lives, and you're using fairly specific terms. Probably a better question for the "digital video" forum.

That aside, the GTX 680MX isn't listed under "additional acceleration" on on this page for Premiere, so I wouldn't imagine that After Effects gets that benefit either. So, it'll be better than no GPU, but AE isn't optimized to use it.

This might be useful to read as well, though it doesn't say anything about the GTX 680MX.

This page mentions the GTX 680, so I would imagine the GTX 680MX is also supported for the 3D raytracer, though, again, not optimized, like professional grade Quadro cards that the first link mentions.
The first list looks like it's the "these are best", not a "these are the only" list. They list older/slower AMD mobile GPUs in the list specifically for OS X, and they list equivalent desktop GPUs, so I would imagine it would work fine.

It is dumb to program for specific video cards, they are almost assuredly targeting GPU features, not specific chips. Thus, since it has all the features necessary, you should be good.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:23 AM   #4
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
The first list looks like it's the "these are best", not a "these are the only" list. They list older/slower AMD mobile GPUs in the list specifically for OS X, and they list equivalent desktop GPUs, so I would imagine it would work fine.
That was the gist of what I was trying to say, but you explained it better.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:27 AM   #5
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

All adobe programs since cs5 got gpu acceleration for generic gpu cards. All of them supports the gpu cards that comes with iMacs. 680mx will perform best of the any of the cards currently available in any macs when it comes to gpu acceleration. The specific ray trace lines you are talking about I have no clue. Only think I know is that I'm not impressed in general by the 3d routines after effects and photoshop are using they seem very slow and badly optimized so I tend to stay away from it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac