Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
I pulled the trigger just last night. The price was just too good to pass up. Tax free and I get back 3% cash back by using my Amazon Visa for an additional $72 savings for a grand total of $2337! And the Amazon Visa also automatically doubles Apple's 1 year warranty as well.

I am aware that it is only 8 GB of RAM but that is enough for my personal use. I normally run Safari with a few windows and use Adobe Lightroom 4 for photo editing which only consumes about 5 GB on my MacPro.

By the time my needs increase in 2 to 3 years, I will probably get the upgrade itch and the norm might be 16 GB by that time.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Looks like they bumped it up to $2687.... Perhaps that was a sneak peek at their cyber monday price?

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
Looks like they bumped it up to $2687.... Perhaps that was a sneak peek at their cyber monday price?

Just noticed the same thing! Mine just shipped not too long ago and will get here on Wednesday. I can't wait! But I am not surprised if there is another price drop come Black Friday.

It's also possible they simply sold out at the $2409 price as the current stock on Amazon are from 3rd party sellers.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Just noticed the same thing! Mine just shipped not too long ago and will get here on Wednesday. I can't wait! But I am not surprised if there is another price drop come Black Friday.

It's also possible they simply sold out at the $2409 price as the current stock on Amazon are from 3rd party sellers.

At that price, I could definitely see that as a possibility.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Yes, Amazon is sold out and only 3rd parties are selling it right now.

PlumMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
I pulled the trigger just last night. The price was just too good to pass up. Tax free and I get back 3% cash back by using my Amazon Visa for an additional $72 savings for a grand total of $2337! And the Amazon Visa also automatically doubles Apple's 1 year warranty as well.
I'd seen the deal on amazon while price-comparing, but I didn't realize how much of a deal it was until I read your post because I hadn't been investigating upgrading the processor or SSD (I'd been trying to decide between base model and base+16GB RAM). Thanks for being so excited about it, because I went back and looked at it again. Even though I didn't "need" the updates, it was about $250 more than the base model with the education discount and tax, so I ordered it right before bed: just couldn't pass it up! When I woke up this morning, it had sold out.

So thank you again!

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
I'd seen the deal on amazon while price-comparing, but I didn't realize how much of a deal it was until I read your post because I hadn't been investigating upgrading the processor or SSD (I'd been trying to decide between base model and base+16GB RAM). Thanks for being so excited about it, because I went back and looked at it again. Even though I didn't "need" the updates, it was about $250 more than the base model with the education discount and tax, so I ordered it right before bed: just couldn't pass it up! When I woke up this morning, it had sold out.

So thank you again!

No problem, man:D! Glad we both got in while the "gettin" was still good! I was in the EXACT same boat as you. I priced out a base 15" rMBP in the education store and played with the RAM options. I took a break and decided to just browse Amazon for their Gold Box deals and was shocked to say the least to see the price.

$389 off is about 14% off which is only 1% less than what the Refurb Apple Store would charge. Yet you STILL have to pay tax and you would have to wait until the next gen rMBPs are released before Apples sells refurbs.

Keep in mind that the 3.6Mhz processor upgrade from the base is about $100 which means you essentially pay about $137 for the 512Gb SSD upgrade, at least in my situation. I believe it's a $500 option if you got the base configuration. That's just ludicrous.

And if you used a CC that extends your OEM warranty, you can simply skip Applecare, which will be fine especially if you plan on selling it before the 2nd year of ownership. Of course you would have to deal with your CC company should you need repairs. But at least you have that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.