Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:38 AM   #1
sunandsurf
macrumors regular

solid, free software for converting video files?

i've been searching but haven't come across a software program that appears to be widely used and recommended. of course, i hope i'm terribly mistaken. all i want to do is to convert video files (e.g., .avi or .mpg) files into .mp4 or .mov so i can watch them on my iPad.

the most obvious answer would be QT Pro but i'm just looking for a solid, free program. hopefully, at least one exists! thanks.
sunandsurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Handbrake and VLC are the two popular free apps used widely. Searching the digital video board will give you more information as there are many threads on the topic.

I use both for exactly what you want to achieve, and they work well, come with pre-sets for the iPad, ATV touch etc.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:56 AM   #3
sunandsurf
macrumors regular

great; thanks for your help!
sunandsurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store