Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jijoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

I recently received a $100 iTunes card (bought by an acquaintance during his travels - I'm currently living in Europe) which I just attempted to redeem, but got a "code not recognized" message, including after entering the serial number as advised.

It was then that I realized there doesn't seem to be a barcode anywhere on the card. It was packaged properly, looks and feels the way I remember it should, however - no barcode. Is it possible that the guy who got it for me was sold a fake, or could this "just" be a defective card? And considering he did not keep the receipt, is there any hope iTunes Support might be able to do anything?

spykthomas

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
You can ring Apple Support to see if it is a proper card.

You can only redeem cards in the store for the territory it is purchased in, (ie. US cards in the US, UK cards in the UK etc)

You may find that even if it is a legal card you may not be able to use it if it was bought it the US and you're trying to redeem it on a European App store.

jijoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I've redeemed US cards / gift certificates from abroad so I don't expect that will prove to be the issue.

Apple did just mail back and keep mentioning my "inactive card" so until they say otherwise, I'll assume the person at the cash register just forgot to activate the damn thing (or swiped it a few times too many) after taking the money. Of course, Apple have asked me to scan the receipt along with the card, and I don't think it will ever be found. I'll send scans of the card and explain, but I think it's a case of $100 going to waste. :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.