Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:35 AM   #1
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

For my case, Parallels or Bootcamp?

Hi

I'm buying a MacBook Air for my Mum (13 inch) as she wants a laptop that can go in her handbag so she doesn't want to have a separate bag to carry it around in. She definately wants Windows (says she doesn't want to learn a new OS, even though I tell her it's more like unlearning the counter intuition used in Windows) and so the computer will be running Windows 99.9% of the time.

So, it terms of battery life, compatibility and performance (with battery life been the main thing), and forgetting price, should I install Windows for her in Parallels so that it loads full screen as soon as OS X boots, or should I install it in bootcamp for her? I guess in Bootcamp there's nothing to keep Windows from been it's usual resource guzzling self, but then in OS X you're running a whole another OS.

Thanks for your advice,

Sam
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:14 AM   #2
angelsguardian
macrumors regular

Sounds like you should buy some kind of Ultrabook as you'll have nothing but trouble if you try and 'force' the Mac on her. E.g. she'll not like Parallels and if you use Bootcamp she'll just boot into OSX everytime accidentally and not use it!

13" MBP mid 2012, 13" MB mid 2010, 20" iMac late 2006, 2 x ATV3, Assorted iPods
angelsguardian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Efrem
macrumors member

I wouldn't buy Mac hardware unless someone has at least some interest in Mac software. Samsung has some very nice ultrabooks. They even cost less than MBAs. Try to get one with Windows 7, not 8. You should still be able to.
Efrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:18 AM   #4
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsguardian View Post
Sounds like you should buy some kind of Ultrabook as you'll have nothing but trouble if you try and 'force' the Mac on her. E.g. she'll not like Parallels and if you use Bootcamp she'll just boot into OSX everytime accidentally and not use it!
I'm not forcing it on her - she wants it because Mac's are built so well. Other ultrabooks are ASUS (pretty ugly computer) and Samsung (as a family we hate Samsung for ripping Apple off). I can set it up to boot into Windows by default on boot camp, so for all intensive purposes it would be a Windows machine.

Sam

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
I wouldn't buy Mac hardware unless someone has at least some interest in Mac software. Samsung has some very nice ultrabooks. They even cost less than MBAs. Try to get one with Windows 7, not 8. You should still be able to.
But the Mac Hardware is designed so much better and is higher quality. That's why she wants it.
gwelmarten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:26 AM   #5
angelsguardian
macrumors regular

"Samsung (as a family we hate Samsung for ripping Apple off). "

Seriously?

angelsguardian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:30 AM   #6
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
"Samsung (as a family we hate Samsung for ripping Apple off). "

Seriously?
Yeah seriously. I know it's a matter of opinion as to whether they did, but I wouldn't want to support what I view as criminal action. Opinion only though.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:37 AM   #7
angelsguardian
macrumors regular

Get her to convert to OSX. I did it with my Mrs this year who had previously hated it (never used though) and now hated Windows when I installed Parallels on her Macbook so she could use one thing in particular. She made me remove it 2 days later. Now the only non-Apple IT products are a printer and the ADSL modem. Everything work beautifully.

angelsguardian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Get her to convert to OSX. I did it with my Mrs this year who had previously hated it (never used though) and now hated Windows when I installed Parallels on her Macbook so she could use one thing in particular. She made me remove it 2 days later. Now the only non-Apple IT products are a printer and the ADSL modem. Everything work beautifully.
I really can't do that. Main problem is that she will be using it for work which is a load of software which only works for Windows (banking stuff, Sage etc). She knows about OS X and uses it on an iMac at home a bit, but doesn't want to be flicking between an OS for home and an OS for work. So it really is boot camp or parallels.
Sam
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:57 AM   #9
angelsguardian
macrumors regular

In that case Bootcamp every time.

angelsguardian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:01 AM   #10
timcullis
macrumors member

I need to run Garmin Mapsource which is a Windows-only application, so I'm running Parallels on a 13" MacBook Air with 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

I'd say your Mum should find Parallels just fine in terms of operational use and performance. No need to set up separate partition and try to second guess the disk space in advance.

Having the Apple desktop and everything else visible will probably encourage her to gradually migrate her non-proprietary use to Apple apps.
timcullis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Duckit
macrumors regular

I would use bootcamp and have it set to boot up into Windows every time she turns it on.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

Make sure you get Win7. I've got Win8 running in fusion, and it performs great, but the UI is difficult to maneuver on a Mac. I guess I would get used to key mappings eventually, but so far i find it painful to get much of anything done.

I'll agree with others who have suggested that it makes little sense to to buy a Mac that will predominantly run Windows. ASUS makes some nice ultra books, but they seem to have strange distribution. The nicer ones don't seem to make it to the US- not sure what the status is in the UK. Lenovo ThinkPads are quite nice, and the X series is very portable - might want to give those a look.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
bootcamp, parallels, windows 7