Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

View Poll Results: Should Apple fight fire with fire with a Android iPhone?
Yes do a 5" 1080p Android iPhone? 6 16.22%
Stick with Apple's game plan. 31 83.78%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:55 AM   #1
cdmoore74
macrumors 65816

Would you buy a iPhone if it was made for Android.

I know it's crazy but how many people would buy a 5" 1920x1080p Android iPhone if it was skinned with iOS. Of course the price would have to be premium to make up for lost App sales and the smaller iPhone would still be available or you can go the Amazon way and go all out. I see a Android iPhone completely taking out Samsung, Motorola and HTC.
Fighting fire with fire I guess. Does anyone actually believe a iPhone in it's current state can beat Android. 2013 will be the year of 1080p and I don't see a iPhone 5s beating a Samsung S4 and Android. Does anyone else have a better idea?

So my specs are this:

5" 1920x1080p IPS display
Quad core A7 like processor
2gb of RAM
iOS launcher with full widget support and skinned throughout running on Jellybean
4000mah battery
Same iPhone 5 build quality and materials
$400 dollars (only because at $200 it would take out it's own 4" iPhone. Plus your losing your App revenue but here you get your profit's upfront.)
Same or better camera system with facetime.

Last edited by cdmoore74; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:08 AM.
cdmoore74 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2
ixodes
macrumors 601

Apple is struggling as it is trying to ship bug free iPhones, there is no way they can handle any more challenges.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:11 AM   #3
coffeemadmanUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Apple is struggling as it is trying to ship bug free iPhones, there is no way they can handle any more challenges.
Well I suppose the point would be that Apple might not ship the phones as much as just design the OS.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:12 AM   #4
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

If it was the other way around then yes! Same goes with osx running under other manufacturers!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:14 AM   #5
lovetamarav
macrumors member

No, I really like iOS. Tried Android once and really didn't like it.
lovetamarav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:17 AM   #6
IFRIT
macrumors 6502

Edit

Last edited by IFRIT; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
IFRIT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #7
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

I don't really understand the question. Would I buy an Android phone that shipped with an iOS-themed launcher?
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:33 AM   #8
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

I don't think i'm on board for something like that..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:04 AM   #9
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

I have enough trouble getting my iPhone in and out of my jeans pocket without worrying about a beast like that andriod. I bought an iPad for that, thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Skika
macrumors 68000

I think he meant "would you still buy an iPhone if the iOS would be available with other manufacturers?"
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I'll pass
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:18 AM   #12
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Since we're getting crazy here...I would have them team up and make a #$()*%#$%@ awesome phone
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:32 AM   #13
stickybuns
macrumors 6502

Are we pretending that Apple will suddenly decide to license iOS to anyone who wants to use it, regardless of hardware? Or that Apple and Samsung kiss and make up and that Samsung would then start making official iSamsung phones? Or that an Android phone manufacturer would copy the iPhone's user interface onto a phone that's actually running Android? Or that Apple will make an iPhone that looks like a Galaxy Note?
stickybuns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:33 AM   #14
tvith
macrumors member

This a tough questions because I'm not a fan of 5" phones, the biggest I had was 4.3" and that would be the max I would ever do. I don't like 3.5" as that's too small, and 4.3" is workable but felt like everyone could see what I'm viewing on my phone and then i tried the 4" and it was perfect. Great for one had use and small enough that my screen isn't exposed to everyone standing next to me. I do like Android and wish they would stop pulling a windows move, by licensing their OS to hardware manufacturers and instead would be more like Apple in the sense that they make everything...hardware, software, etc. So with that being said, if Google and Apple could team up and create a phone that keeps the iPhones amazing UI with the Gmaps, Gmail, and a few other tweaks found in Android... all in a 4" screen...then yea I would def go for it.
tvith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:48 AM   #15
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

The main reason for buying an iPhone is for iOS. If I wanted Android, I'd buy a S3 or Nexus 4.
Don't see the appeal of an Android iPhone.
cambookpro is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #16
inhalewaste
Banned

Not sure what the question is, but honestly, it wouldn't take much for Apple to get me back on the iPhone.

Larger screen - whatever it is that you need to do to keep apps scaled properly, fine, but offer me something more than 4". Or why not, offer both the 4" for those that want it, and a 4.3"-4.7" (again, whatever is the next size up that will properly scale all your apps) to those that want larger. They offer sizes with iPads, Macs, Desktops, etc. Why not the iPhone?

Giving a little more control over iOS - I don't think people are asking for much, really. Just, don't treat us as idiots. For the most "innovative" company in the world, I think you can find a way to include email attachments, settings toggles, live tiles, etc. all the while making it seamless and simple enough for the average user. In fact, Apple offers classes to teach people exactly how to use their products. And people happily sign up for them. Every time I'm in an Apple store, people are lined up waiting for class to begin. People love learning how to use their shiny new Apple products; why is Apple so afraid to introduce additional features with some learning curve?

Try not to overcharge - iPads and iPhones make anywhere from 40-90% profit, depending on which report you're quoting, what generation phone you're looking at, etc. I mean, you don't have to play the low game, but you also don't have to overcharge. And before you go into a tirade about how those profits go into R&D, yeah, they do, but they also go into Apple's 100+ billion dollar surplus bank. Ruminate on that.

I don't think this is asking for a lot, honestly. I would return to the iPhone in a heart beat if they could get these few things right.
inhalewaste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #17
tmoney82
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchpadBS View Post
I have enough trouble getting my iPhone in and out of my jeans pocket without worrying about a beast like that andriod. I bought an iPad for that, thank you.
So all Iphone user wear skinny jeans?
tmoney82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:58 AM   #18
siiip5
Banned

When it comes to mobile devices, I wouldn't want anything Apple controlled wrt Android. I wouldn't even want a phone designed like the iphone. I personally can't stand that brick shape, and if I wanted a phone with no expandable memory and no way to change out the battery, I would go with a Nexus phone.

I am personally very happy to have the alternatives we have and see zero need to merge Android with Apple. The S3, Note II, DNA, HOX1+, Nexus 4, WP8 Nokia 920 are all great alternatives.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:04 PM   #19
michaeljohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post

5" 1920x1080p IPS display
Quad core A7 like processor
2gb of RAM
4000mah battery
$400 dollars
Same or better camera system with facetime.
Nope but I would be all over a true iphone with the specs listed above. I mentioned in another thread that they should do something like this with the S versions. Keep the iPhone as is and release it every fall but every spring they put out the 5s, 6s etc...and its the bigger version with a slight spec bump. Would love that.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:16 PM   #20
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

I thought you could do that already. I saw someone post a screen shot of his Android phone with a home screen that looks exactly like the iOS one.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:46 PM   #21
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney82 View Post
So all Iphone user wear skinny jeans?
Nice ingrish, where you learn?

Haha my legs are far too muscular for skinny jeans.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:53 PM   #22
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
No thanks. That's one of the reasons I returned the iPhone 5.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices