Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:35 AM   #101
joseph2166
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbraDiaboli View Post
Am I the only one finding this worrisome: "Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X"?

Less features - same price - shorter hardware lifespans

Things aren't the same without Jobs, Cook is just milking the cow and killing the share price.
Fewer features.

Sorry, can't help it
joseph2166 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:35 AM   #102
emwgradstudent
macrumors member

Just bring iBooks and Newsstand to the Mac, and I will be happy!!!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:35 AM   #103
Grasbak
macrumors 6502

Click image for larger version

Name:	scotty.png
Views:	19
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	378355
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:37 AM   #104
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by till213 View Post
"Popular features"? Umpfff, LOL! I think the new Maplegate is the MOST UNPOPULAR FEATURE Apple has EVER produced! And Siri? Siriously? I know NO ONE in my friendlist who ever talked to Siri except in the first five minutes after unwrapping their iPhones - maybe some half-funny party jokes evolved out of that. And that was it!

What about... ZFS? iSCSI? A current OpenGL implementation (I mean, what are we Mac users... like 2-3 years behind of the current standard)? I call those POPULAR FEATURES!
I use Siri.....
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:40 AM   #105
TIGOS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveOooo View Post
So a $20 yearly sub to keep buying buggy new OSXs? I think they'll start dishing out this for free
I think the same... Windows 8 made a great progress in performance, so, when Apple will focus on that?!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:40 AM   #106
joseph2166
macrumors 6502

Quote:
"Popular features"? Umpfff, LOL! I think the new Maplegate is the MOST UNPOPULAR FEATURE Apple has EVER produced! And Siri? Siriously? I know NO ONE in my friendlist who ever talked to Siri except in the first five minutes after unwrapping their iPhones - maybe some half-funny party jokes evolved out of that. And that was it!

What about... ZFS? iSCSI? A current OpenGL implementation (I mean, what are we Mac users... like 2-3 years behind of the current standard)? I call those POPULAR FEATURES!
I think you're confusing 'popular' with 'what I would like to see'. Having said that, I know you can't turn on the TV without hearing people talk about the lack of ZFS support. Siri, meanwhile, barely gets a mention.
joseph2166 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:43 AM   #107
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
I would imagine that Siri will only be available on new (at the time of 10.9's release) Macs or models released in 2012. Everyone else will need to upgrade hardware. Which is fine with me, because I'm pretty sure that Mountain Lion is the last version of OS X that my 2008 MacBook will be supported on.
I'm worried about the possibility of this. It's the same as when they said in 10.8 you could mirror to an Apple TV anything on your desktop... provided your computer is brand new.

It's a bummer to have a computer that can run the latest operating system, but can't in fact use the stuff in it. >_<
chirpie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:45 AM   #108
Oui
Banned

And still no iPad 2 love.
And the blame can not be put on the A5 chip anymore.
Oui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:47 AM   #109
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Was dictation limited? At most this may be limited to Macs with 2 mics, but I kinda doubt it. Data speeds are what's important for Siri, and Macs use Wi-fi and have been on Wireless N for a long time.
I was being sarcastic. I hope that Apple doesn't become greedy like it has on iOS devices by needlessly limiting features on OS updates.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:48 AM   #110
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Makes sense. OS X will get all the core iOS apps/features eventually.
Makes me think iOS will = OS X in the future. We all think this. But I feel it'll be 2 different OS still just a different UI for each device. ie Mac and iDevice.
No... "We _Don't_ All Think This".

Fortunately there are a few of us who have managed to remain free thinking individuals. Avoiding Apple's desire to suck in all people, programming them to avoid thinking and simply embrace the Apple mantra.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:52 AM   #111
shaunp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
Apple has been following a trend for quite some time now where the features I consider "real progress" are barely mentioned, in favor of the more flashy stuff that appeals to the general public.

When Apple developers cater to advanced or "power users" in OS X, it's almost always done silently, or with only a brief mention.

The coolest feature they've added in a while, IMO, is this "hybrid drive" technology - and yet they only mention it because it's a line item that helps them sell higher-end iMac configurations. Fact is though, it's actually a pretty sophisticated advance in OS X itself, the way it plugs into the file system and works at the block level.

So yeah, I'm sure all this stuff like Siri and Maps coming over from iOS will be hyped up -- but long-time computers users like myself won't really care much. I'm more interested in the stuff they do that's buried under the surface. (TRIM support for non-Apple SSDs would be one such thing, but pretty sure they simply leave this off because they'd rather encourage sales of a few more higher-priced Apple replacement drives for out of warranty repairs or upgrades. I've had it for a long time already by simply using the free TRIM Enabler utility.)

Hybrid drive does look good, but I'm not prepared to buy any of the current Apple desktops as they don't offer what I need - a core i7 desktop that has space for more than 2 hard disks. I want a desktop, not an appliance, and not a 2010 Xeon workstation either.
shaunp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:53 AM   #112
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Popular to a target market that Apple caters to, yes.

Ask any random stranger off the street what ZFS, iSCSI, or OpenGL is. Then ask them about Siri, Maps, Reminders, and Messages.

Some day we'll all learn that Apple is a consumer electronics company, and then we'll understand the decisions they make. Until then, we'll be locked in the continual dance of hobbyists and prosumers missing the point that they are not the target audience and be forced to listen to them whine endlessly about decisions that they never factored into in the first place.

Look, I get it. I would place myself in the hobbyist and prosumer segments, but I also understand that every day decisions need to be made and that the consumer segment is king. Tis just the way of things.

If you aren't happy with the direction that Apple is taking, head on over to Windows 8. I hear they're doing wonderful things for professionals with their latest release.

oh.

Last edited by Patriot24; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Patriot24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:56 AM   #113
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

I'm not a fan of Siri, I barely use it. I find alot of the time it doesn't hear what I say properly.

that being said for it to come to 10.9; not a fan
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:57 AM   #114
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The last real Mac update was Snow Leopard, 10.9 will be full of useless crap that hinders performance instead of boosting it.
InuNacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:58 AM   #115
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And that's the whole point. Apple to me is moving to a finderless experience. The finder was always boring. it's the apps, the content you care about that is interesting. And having less stuff in the rode and stuff you have to do before you can enjoy your favourite content I believe is Apple's plan.
As long as they keep the ability for us to create content. That's my biggest issue with iOS at the moment and one thing OS X facilitates much better.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:59 AM   #116
clukas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacird View Post
Probably do some 09 cutoffs I am guessing. Got to upgrade even faster when you are spending over a grand on this side I guess.

Siri can't answer that, but she can search the web for it.
Well I sure as hell hope my '09 iMac will still get the upgrade for at least another OS upgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:03 AM   #117
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladMraz View Post
Apple! Don't bother with OSX 10.9 and give me iTunes11!!
I actually forgot about iTunes 11 until you mentioned it.
gmanist1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:03 AM   #118
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

mountain lion was a decent upgrade. if this is all we're getting then count me out.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:06 AM   #119
AmtrakRider
macrumors member

I just hope it performs better. I still prefer 10.7 to 10.8 I can't be the only one who watched their machine get slower after the upgrade.
AmtrakRider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:12 AM   #120
FooMan2011
macrumors member

You know what this means, right? MacBooks will be LTE enabled and will have a micro sim. Makes perfect sense, and I like it!!
FooMan2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 AM   #121
rmwebs
Banned

Whilst I'm not surprised - what the hell is the point?

Maps - make it an online service, that way it's a hell of a lot more accessible.

Siri - I dont know what to say about this. It may be a useful tool in the US, but outside the US it's a pile of crap.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmtrakRider View Post
I just hope it performs better. I still prefer 10.7 to 10.8 I can't be the only one who watched their machine get slower after the upgrade.
Ditto. We need another 'Snow Leopard' release that cleans up the codebase and streamlines everything. Snow Leopard was a great OS. Lion and Mountain Lion have been pretty piss poor.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:19 AM   #122
AppleMad98004
macrumors member

Siri!

Great now instead of antisocial silence, there will be all those unemployed people and students that hang out for hours at a time in Starbucks all talking to their MacBooks! Wonderful!
AppleMad98004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:26 AM   #123
Dagless
macrumors Core

Awesome, I'll take Siri and hopefully be able to delete Maps.

Make a better product than Google's and I'll use it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:29 AM   #124
iZac
macrumors 65816

With 10.9 running out the door with the typical recent speed ... I'm more excited to see what kind of paradigm shift OS 11 brings. Can we expect some much, much deeper integration between iOS and Mac OS by then, something more than just borrowing each others programs?

Perhaps everyone expecting something truly new and better (not just different) from Apple should be looking forward to summer 2014. Can't wait!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:32 AM   #125
Battlefield Fan
Banned

They have to add more advanced features other wise people are going to start thinking that Apple and their customers only care about fart apps.
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion