Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:50 AM   #101
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a
 
phillipduran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
Really dislike how Apple releases new stuff in 1 year or in a half year. Because they know people have the "I need the latest and greatest" mindset.
They could have a bunch of great ideas and tech and just sit on them for two years while the rest of the market releases their version of improvements and upgrades and then everyone will point a finger at Apple and say that they don't innovate and are always a step behind the competition.

Instead they choose to lead.

There isn't a problem here except with those that don't have the money but want to keep up with the Joneses.
__________________
That's "Geniuses," not Genii, genius.
To err, is PC.
phillipduran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:52 AM   #102
lzyprson
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I'm finding it hard to believe that Apple will release a "newer" iPad & iPhone much earlier then their typical release cycle. It is possible that they may push for an earlier release of the iPhone, i say this only because sales tend to slow down much sooner then the company would like because they are known to release an iPhone every year, but this is still all up in the air. I feel like they would do this only to maxmise sales of current iphones versus the newer versions, and of course to make investors happy.

Hmm I just dont know... I really hope that they dont start to stray away from their once a year updates...
lzyprson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:53 AM   #103
ds2000
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
Really dislike how Apple releases new stuff in 1 year or in a half year. Because they know people have the "I need the latest and greatest" mindset.
I say good on them; if you could tweak something and make massive profit on it every 6 months, you would

I don't give a damn I've got a 4S, unless the 5S takes a leap forward I'll be holding on for the 6.
ds2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:55 AM   #104
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
The ipad cycle can be driven by the LCD panel technology. Both Ipad mini and Ipad 4 are limited by the 2048x1536 display power requirement. It make Ipad 4 too heavy and too costly to manufacture. And it make Ipad mini retina impossible to manufacture (if Apple want to keep the weight and cost low). IGZO glasses may help on power requirement and manufacturing. So if it is ready in March/April 2013 time frame, that is good enough reason for Apple to upgrade the Ipad line.

The Iphone upgrade don't make any sense. Apple do the fast rollout (100 countries in 4Q) and so far is not very successful with Foxconn manufacturing. They are still supply constrained even though manufacturing seems to be improved. 1Q13 is going to outsell 4Q12. So there is no real reason to introduce a new Iphone 5S or Iphone 6 in 2Q13. The drop off in sales in Iphone 5 is not severe enough to make an introduction of new Iphone yet. A possibility is that Apple finally will respond to low cost Iphone with a base model in the $300-400 unlock price range. Somehow Apple has to address the developing country needs. A 15% market share for a few more year will destroy the ecosystems. Given that Apple is willing to sacrafice margin to compete in Ipad arena (Ipad mini will be lucky to have single digit net profit margin in the base model after all the expense), Apple may be willing to accept 30%+- gross margin on a Iphone value line (Iphone is in the 50-60% gross margin range). I would love to see Apple introduce a low priced Iphone line.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:59 AM   #105
wikus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Planet earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
What could they realistically introduce with the next iPhone? There's no way they could 2X the CPU right now, or make many major enhancements. I'm doubting this rumor.
They could release a maps app with the new iphone?
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:00 AM   #106
koban4max
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
This is a problem with people's "I need the latest and greatest" mindset and not a problem with Apple.
Those type of people continuously victimizing themselves..... so be it.
Nothing wrong with that.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:00 AM   #107
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
You can still do that if Apple releases more than one phone a year... unless you have fallen victim of the "I need the latest and the greatest" mindset, which I assume you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne182 View Post
I'm assuming the same. He won't look as cool when walking in a crowd with an outdated(6 months) old iPhone
YoU know what they say about assuming...

You're wrong.

I've bought the 4s and the 5. The only reason I bought a 5 was because I wanted more capacity and my wife wanted my 4s (her android was junk). Oh, and it was my birthday so, happy birthday to me.

However, I have set up my plan so that one of our two lines is eligible every year. I saw the value in the one-year contract back in 2010 and signed one of us up for that for an extra $70. That makes it so if I or my wife do want a new phone, or my phone breaks, or I just want to buy one and sell it for a profit (prob. never do this but hey), I have the option to get one at a subsidized price every year.

That's more what I was referring to.

I don't mind having a dated device -- especially if it's only 6 months out of date. I do (or maybe did) enjoy Apple having a one-year lifecycle so that you don't feel like you walk out of the store and your device is antiquated however I'm not that shallow.

I'm more concerned with everything I outlined in my last post regarding their ability to deliver a worthwhile spec upgrade, a worthwhile OS update, and not sacrifice QC on a shorter lifecycle.

They can't even keep iMessage to five nines... I question how a more aggressive release cycle will work out for them.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:00 AM   #108
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God
 
entatlrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I just hope it's not a 5S. Whether the design is good or not consumers seem to want to see something different in both hardware and software improvements.

They pulled it off with the 4 and 4S, I'd be surprised if they had the same success with the 5/5S unless the added software features are incredible.

Two phone screen sizes would be a good idea too, that way everyone could get the screen size they prefer.
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:02 AM   #109
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
They could release a maps app with the new iphone?
Oh, that'd be hot...
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:03 AM   #110
wikus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Planet earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
This is a problem with people's "I need the latest and greatest" mindset and not a problem with Apple.
They could always get a Samsung SIII to feed their latest and greatest egos. if not, those are the true fanboys.
wikus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:04 AM   #111
BC2009
macrumors 68000
 
BC2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Digitimes reports that Four-Leaf Clovers will be available in abundance by March 17, 2013 and will actually outnumber Three-Leaf Clovers. This is coming from a source who works in the clover supply chain and is noticing an increase in orders for Four-Leaf Clovers.

In other news, according to Digitimes, the tooth fairy will be giving children all over the world a 20% raise in tooth payments starting in June 2013 since the supply of small teeth in the world is on the decline as children learn to brush more and delay losing of those teeth until their early elementary school years.
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:04 AM   #112
awesomebase
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Maryland
Well Duh!!!

This has got to be about the dumbest article on MacRumors that I've seen in a while... Really? Apple coming out with a new iPhone or iPad in the middle of next year!!! NO FREAKIN' WAY!!! And all this time, I had just supposed that what is available now would be the last of those product lines...
__________________
You've GOT to be kidding!
awesomebase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:06 AM   #113
iMikeT
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Mother !@#$!!!! My iPhone 5 is due to arrive today and now I have the option of waiting around 9 more months for the next iPhone (iPhone 5S) based on a rumor on MacRumors!!!!
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:07 AM   #114
princigalli
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italy, Germany
And what will be new this time? Longer? Wider? Or make it identical and call it Iphone 5S?

No thanks. I used to have Iphones, but nothing beats my Samsung now.
__________________
www.princigalli.com
princigalli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:07 AM   #115
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Coming with a new version of iOS only compatible with an iPhone 5 or iPad 4. "Shut up and give me your money!"
Apple doesn't force anyone to purchase any of their products. We all have a God given choice to purchase what we want (with the exception of taxation). If you don't like what Apple does, quit your bellyaching and shop the competition.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:11 AM   #116
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
Really dislike how Apple releases new stuff in 1 year or in a half year. Because they know people have the "I need the latest and greatest" mindset.
The stuff you have now will still work so Apple isn't forcing you to buy. So don't.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:13 AM   #117
SoApple
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Digitimes is full of crap. They're always a hit or miss. They just shoot up random bs and from time to time they're right.
SoApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 AM   #118
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowimright View Post
remember when digitimes came up with that stupid 2 ipads in a year rumor that everyone ridiculed because it was so dumb to come true and then it did?
The real question is if this is the new SOP or a fluke because the annual iPad update will now be in the Fall and they didn't want the same smack talk the 16 month stretch to do the same with the iPhone got
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 AM   #119
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
Oh GIVE IT A BREAK!

Why don't Apple concentrate on perfecting the current models, first ... ie start shipping iPads without dust behind the screen!
I agree and would add "Start shipping iPads that aren't plagued by a yucky yellow tint."
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:17 AM   #120
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
I just hope it's not a 5S. Whether the design is good or not consumers seem to want to see something different in both hardware and software improvements.

They pulled it off with the 4 and 4S, I'd be surprised if they had the same success with the 5/5S unless the added software features are incredible.

Two phone screen sizes would be a good idea too, that way everyone could get the screen size they prefer.
I agree.

They'll need a more agressive jump in both hardware and software to move to a 6 month cycle.

Two screen sizes would be awesome but I doubt it'll ever happen. I've thought that they should have two "models" of iphone for a long time. Now they've got two models of iPad... maybe they'll apply the same to the iPhone.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:24 AM   #121
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook123 View Post
Wonder if they'll finally come around and make the iPhone have a reasonable screen size and make AT&T and Verizon allow tethering. Otherwise this thing is DOA.
Guess you missed the memo. Apple is launching their own cell service and it will be the only one the iPhones can run on.

Oh and they are merging the iPad mini and iPhone. Cause the Note is such a huge success and they need to compete.

I read all about it in Digitimes ages ago. Both Shaw Wu and Brian White confirmed it. And they are always right
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:24 AM   #122
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
I just hope it's not a 5S. Whether the design is good or not consumers seem to want to see something different in both hardware and software improvements.

They pulled it off with the 4 and 4S, I'd be surprised if they had the same success with the 5/5S unless the added software features are incredible.

Two phone screen sizes would be a good idea too, that way everyone could get the screen size they prefer.
Is it really cost effective to be changing hardware designs so frequently? Look at the Nokia Lumia line. The design of those phones hasn't really changed much other than the screen getting bigger. I could see the bigger iPad updated with the same look as the mini (chamfered edges, black option, etc.). But does the iPhone really need a whole new design? Not everyone on the planet wants 5" phones.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:24 AM   #123
Cockney Rebel
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
I agree and would add "Start shipping iPads that aren't plagued by a yucky yellow tint."
... and I would further add "without dead pixels!!!!"

Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:25 AM   #124
thermal
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Personally, I'm fine with an accelerated product cycle.

The tech world has changed since the original iPhone in 2007. In a world where new flagship Androids are released every three months, a year between iPhone upgrades is an eternity and the iPhone is falling behind.

This doesn't mean I have to buy every new Apple product, but the products I'll choose from will be more competitive.
thermal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:25 AM   #125
Shearwater
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Leeds , West Yorkshire
Almost correct but it will be the iPhone6 and the launch of IOS7!
Shearwater is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBP 13" late 2013 screen goes off in the middle of surfing vigorito MacBook Pro 0 May 13, 2014 04:43 AM
iPhone 5S Production Reportedly Limited to 3-4 Million Units in Q3 2013 Due to Fingerprint Sensor Shortages MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 58 Aug 13, 2013 03:15 PM
Low-Cost iPhone and iPad 5 to Ship in Early September with iPhone 5S Coming Later, No Retina iPad mini in 2013? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 135 Jul 25, 2013 12:11 AM
Full Middle Name or Middle Name Initial on Diploma? ravenvii Community Discussion 15 Jul 19, 2013 11:04 AM
Low-Cost iPhone to Use Plastic or Hybrid Plastic/Metal Design, Due in Late 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 412 Jan 16, 2013 07:34 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC