Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1
james714
macrumors newbie

NAS causing iTunes sync to freeze?

Hi,

I recently purchased a new macbook and the LaCie Network Space 2 NAS. Earlier yesterday, I put my old MBA itunes library into the the NAS and migrated to my new MBA. Upon trying to sync, iTunes would freeze at Step 4 of 5 with "Determining tracks to sync." After a few minutes, it would automatically cancel the synchronization process.

I tried to turn off the wifi sync and plugged my iphone directly into my new MBA, and still no dice. I know the NAS is working since I was able to play a few different music off the NAS.

Anyone encounter this issue before? Any help is appreciated.

James
james714 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:31 PM   #2
LaCieTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james714 View Post
Hi,

I recently purchased a new macbook and the LaCie Network Space 2 NAS. Earlier yesterday, I put my old MBA itunes library into the the NAS and migrated to my new MBA. Upon trying to sync, iTunes would freeze at Step 4 of 5 with "Determining tracks to sync." After a few minutes, it would automatically cancel the synchronization process.

I tried to turn off the wifi sync and plugged my iphone directly into my new MBA, and still no dice. I know the NAS is working since I was able to play a few different music off the NAS.

Anyone encounter this issue before? Any help is appreciated.

James
Hi James,

Do you have a large library? It sounds like this may be an iTunes issue specifically but since you confirmed the files are fine on the NAS, it may be a bandwidth thing.

If you have a large amount of files, when your computer tries to sync with the NAS it opens up multiple files at once and the Network Space may be overloaded by requests.

Try a regular drag and drop copy of some (or all) of the music onto your MBA and then integrate that into iTunes or, if you're looking to have all the data remote, try breaking it up into smaller groups and syncing one group at a time.

Also be sure to have a backup, a complete second copy of the music on another drive, just in case your computer or NAS encounter an issue.

~mn, LaCie
LaCieTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help