Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
peterjmay
macrumors newbie

Smile Sold my ipad 2, just bought a refurb ipad 3 but think i want an ipad 4

i bought my ipad 3 refurb 3 weeks back, had a problem with it, and got it exchanged 2 weeks ago. but i think i want to replace it with a 4th gen. i am outside the return 14 day period but have spoken to apple who have said i can return it for a full refund and buy the ipad 4.

Unsure what to do..the ipad 3 does seem slower on wifi compared to my ipad 2...Is it worth making it future proof as i cannot see me ever buying an ipad again unless it breaks. i do like speed but i dont video edit or do hardcore gaming on it!

Is the speed noticeable on the ipad 4 compared to 3. on wifi and general usage or should i keep the ipad 3 and the 130 i have saved.
peterjmay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
AlterZgo
macrumors member

Get the iPad 4. Like myself, you seem like one who would suffer from buyer's remorse. Therefore, if I were in your shoes, I would buy the most current iPad available. Otherwise, you will be kicking yourself for not upgrading once you are beyond the extended return period Apple gave you.
AlterZgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

This is just me, but I'm betting that the next version of the iPad will use IGZO display technology which will make the full-size iPad noticably thinner and lighter. So I'm looking around for a good deal on an iPad 3 while I have for the next version of the iPad which I think will be release sometime next year between July and October.

With that said, it sounds to me like you would be happier with the iPad 4. The iPad 4 uses the current lightning connector and has the A6 chip in it. I think you can expect Apple to support the operating system for at least three years.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Northwestern
macrumors regular

I am thinking about buying a refurbished iPad 3 64GB WIFI + CELLULAR myself.
What are your experiences?
Do refurbished iPads have scratches? Or do they look like new iPads?
Do they come in the original white box?
Northwestern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestern View Post
I am thinking about buying a refurbished iPad 3 64GB WIFI + CELLULAR myself.
What are your experiences?
Do refurbished iPads have scratches? Or do they look like new iPads?
Do they come in the original white box?
No, they replace the outer shell so it looks entirely brand new. They also replace the battery.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
No, they replace the outer shell so it looks entirely brand new. They also replace the battery.
Where would one go to verify this? I am thinking they're not even doing this since iPad 3s are not that old....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Where would one go to verify this? I am thinking they're not even doing this since iPad 3s are not that old....
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad In the grey box next to where it says the shipping is free.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:33 AM   #8
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad In the grey box next to where it says the shipping is free.
Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:41 PM   #9
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

It's a tough call. 130 quid hey? If money is tight, be content with what you have and focus on other things in life. If you could throw 130 to the wind and not even notice it disappearing then spring for it.

Something I like to do in your situation is watch everything I buy, not buy it and put it into a jar until it adds up to 130. If I saved money on a dinner, some Starbucks, a couple beers and did well to save it, I then make the choice if it is worth it. You're in a time sensitive spot though so you'll need to know your own finances and make the call you will be happy with.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:02 AM   #10
Ipadlover29
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjmay View Post
i bought my ipad 3 refurb 3 weeks back, had a problem with it, and got it exchanged 2 weeks ago. but i think i want to replace it with a 4th gen. i am outside the return 14 day period but have spoken to apple who have said i can return it for a full refund and buy the ipad 4.

Unsure what to do..the ipad 3 does seem slower on wifi compared to my ipad 2...Is it worth making it future proof as i cannot see me ever buying an ipad again unless it breaks. i do like speed but i dont video edit or do hardcore gaming on it!

Is the speed noticeable on the ipad 4 compared to 3. on wifi and general usage or should i keep the ipad 3 and the 130 i have saved.
I was in the same situation as you. Had the ipad 2. Then upgraded to the 3. Was able to upgrade to the 4. The 4 is faster, wifi is also faster and battery life is improved over the 3. The ipad 4 will last you longer, updates will be support longer and a higher resale value.
Ipadlover29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad