Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
domhoenig
macrumors member

mac mini - magic mouse keeps freezing

got a new 2.6 i7 mac mini...

every now and then the mouse will hang...only for a split second then resumes.

mega pain in the ass!

anyone else experiencing this? know of a solution?
domhoenig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
mystikjoe
macrumors regular

happens a lot when batteries are weak try new ones!
mystikjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:46 AM   #3
domhoenig
macrumors member

using one of the mobee battery packs...not even a year old! reckon that's the culprit?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhoenig View Post
using one of the mobee battery packs...not even a year old! reckon that's the culprit?
I have 3 Mobee battery packs in use here, and they all work great. We do try to set them on the charger every 3 or 4 days to keep them charged, but they do seem to work find until after the "low battery" message appears on the screen. I get the same performance with the Mobee as I used to get with Eneloop rechargeable batteries in the Magic Mouse.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
domhoenig
macrumors member

ill buy some new battery's and trial them soon. that should iron out the culprit if it doesn't keep hanging.

if it DOES keep hanging - anyone any advice?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:19 PM   #6
hfg
macrumors 68020

Bluetooth runs on the 2.4GHz radio spectrum, as do many other devices which could cause interference. Sources can be from microwave ovens, cordless telephones on 2.4GHz band, WiFi on 2.4GHz, etc. It may originate from your house/apartment or a very close neighbor. If you notice a coincidence when the mouse glitch occurs (phone ringing, microwave in use) that might be the culprit. If your WiFi is on 2.4GHz, try changing the channel, or even better, move it to the 5GHz band if possible.

Might also be a bad location for the Mini where the internal antenna is shielded by metal surroundings between it and the mouse. If you have disassembled the Mini be sure the antenna was reattached properly.

... or it could simply be a bad mouse ...

-howard
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:23 PM   #7
domhoenig
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Bluetooth runs on the 2.4GHz radio spectrum, as do many other devices which could cause interference. Sources can be from microwave ovens, cordless telephones on 2.4GHz band, WiFi on 2.4GHz, etc. It may originate from your house/apartment or a very close neighbor. If you notice a coincidence when the mouse glitch occurs (phone ringing, microwave in use) that might be the culprit. If your WiFi is on 2.4GHz, try changing the channel, or even better, move it to the 5GHz band if possible.

Might also be a bad location for the Mini where the internal antenna is shielded by metal surroundings between it and the mouse. If you have disassembled the Mini be sure the antenna was reattached properly.

... or it could simply be a bad mouse ...

-howard
Mouse worked fine with my old iMac (now sold)

I did install a second ssd inside - I didn't think the Bluetooth module was ever disconnected from anything during the tear down though..... Wifi antenna, fan, logic board, ir receiver.... Where is the Bluetooth module on mac minis actually?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:34 PM   #8
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhoenig View Post
Mouse worked fine with my old iMac (now sold)

I did install a second ssd inside - I didn't think the Bluetooth module was ever disconnected from anything during the tear down though..... Wifi antenna, fan, logic board, ir receiver.... Where is the Bluetooth module on mac minis actually?
On my 2011 mini I think both WiFi and Bluetooth antenna coax plugs were right next to each other, but I think you only had to disconnect one of them to get things apart.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #9
domhoenig
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
On my 2011 mini I think both WiFi and Bluetooth antenna coax plugs were right next to each other, but I think you only had to disconnect one of them to get things apart.
tried new set of batteries today...still no luck!

will try a wired mouse tomorrow! so if it works then...new mouse and if that's faulty then annoyingly something must be wrong with the bluetooth.

i would've thought though if the bluetooth was an issue...it would be really intermittent and would sometimes just not work?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini