Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google to Show Off 'Next Dimension' of Maps on June 6

With Apple reportedly abandoning Google in favor of its own mapping solution for iOS 6, 9to5Google reports that Google will be holding an event on June 6 to show off "The Next Dimension of Google Maps". The event comes just five days before Apple is expected to show off details of iOS 6 at its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.
Quote:
At this invitation-only press gathering, Brian McClendon, VP of Google Maps and Google Earth, will give you a behind-the-scenes look at Google Maps and share our vision. We'll also demo some of the newest technology and provide a sneak peek at upcoming features that will help people get where they want to go - both physically and virtually. We hope to see you there.

Apple has relied on Google to provide the mapping functionality in iOS since the iPhone's initial launch back in 2007. But as competition between the two companies has ramped up, Apple has been working to strengthen its expertise in mapping with the acquisition of several small companies and has been gradually moving certain location and mapping services in-house. That transition is expected to culminate in iOS 6 with the core mapping application shifting from Google to Apple.

The timing of Google's event naturally leads to speculation that it has been specifically planned to upstage any Apple announcement about mapping in iOS 6 and to show what users will be missing out on with the transition by Apple.

Article Link: Google to Show Off 'Next Dimension' of Maps on June 6
MacRumors is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:22 PM   #2
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816

This better be apple's map + navigation.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3
VicMacs
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to VicMacs Send a message via AIM to VicMacs
Crooks!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
mbarriault
macrumors regular

The timing is way too suspicious for this to have been independently scheduled.

And the likely, most hilarious thing is, Google will be having their collective asses handed to them just days later.
mbarriault is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Mortalias
macrumors 6502

Only 30 minutes to eat breakfast?

Those pigs.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
nfl46
macrumors 601

Damn, I guess we can confirmed that Apple really did drop Google Maps from their new iOS.

I can see it now, "Apple copied Google Maps comments."
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:25 PM   #7
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Standalone Maps app for iOS :wink:
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:25 PM   #8
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Would google maps be available as an app anyway?
nick_elt is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:26 PM   #9
WeegieMac

Or is the new maps in iOS 6 merely the next version of Google Maps?
WeegieMac is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:26 PM   #10
burnside
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post
And the likely, most hilarious thing is, Google will be having their collective asses handed to them just days later.
I think Google will have a better map experience than what Apple (via the purchase of a third party map app) will.

As far as the OS is concerned, who knows, guess we'll see.
burnside is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Peace
macrumors P6

Ya know. google will probably always have a better mapping program but I don't care. I can get by without looking at people being surprised by that intrusive street car and packet sniffer machine.

Screw google and the thieving little car they drove in on.

Last edited by Peace; Jun 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Peace is offline   -24 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
One Bad Duck
macrumors member

Mapping competition

I suspect shares in Garmin and TomTom have just tanked. As the service of navigation turns to being better and better as a free service.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:29 PM   #13
rnizlek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrod View Post
Standalone Maps app for iOS :wink:
I hope so. Unless Apple maps replicate Google's transit routing functionality, I'll be sticking with Google for a long time. Really, I just hope Apple gives us a choice in map providers, but I know that won't happen.
rnizlek is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:31 PM   #14
bazaarsoft
macrumors newbie

Microsoft Strategy

It's pathetic to see Google resort to these well-known Microsoft strategies - preview technology that someone else is about to release for real. I have very little doubt that they'll show "in the lab" concepts with no real ship dates/timelines, etc. Attempt to create the impression of being the leader while in reality just following the leader.

Google truly is the next Microsoft.
bazaarsoft is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:32 PM   #15
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post
I'm sorry but Apple's map offerings are pathetic. I still find it hilarious that they can't (won't?) match Google's basic (and included out of the box) navigation app, despite having put out multiple versions of iOS and hardware revisions since Android's release. In my opinion, lack of turn-by-turn navigation is the iPhone's biggest failure.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:32 PM   #16
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

The shame is that Google is known to have one of the better mapping solutions; they just need to relentlessly make it better.

By scheduling a 'demo of things to come soon' on the coat tail of a Apple's presentation it makes them look like a bunch of followers with a 'me too' solution...they shouldn't need to do that, they are (were?) already in the lead.
paul4339 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:32 PM   #17
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

I hope Apple's Maps is better....
newyorksole is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:33 PM   #18
iScott428
macrumors regular

Doesn't matter who announces the new map system first but rather who is the first to bring it to mainstream market and use. I believe Apple's system will be cleaner and more reliable than google, while beating it to market as well.
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:33 PM   #19
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

I doubt Apple's map solution will be better than any other competitor at the launch. Or, perhaps iMaps will be useful only in US land at the first moment.

Some months ago I read something about Microsoft adopting Nokia map solution to replace Bing Maps, so looks like it's not so easy to bring an industry-standard map solution.
brdeveloper is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:34 PM   #20
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4339 View Post
The shame is that Google is known to have one of the better mapping solutions; they just need to relentlessly make it better.

By scheduling a 'demo of things to come soon' on the coat tail of a Apple's presentation it makes them look like a bunch of followers with a 'me too' solution...they shouldn't need to do that, they are (were?) already in the lead.
um? Apple is the 'me too' when it comes to maps.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:35 PM   #21
B.A.T
macrumors 6502

Can't wait to see both versions of maps. Competition is a good thing.
B.A.T is offline   37 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:36 PM   #22
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
um? Apple is the 'me too' when it comes to maps.
Agreed. That's why Google doesn't need to follow with a presentation shortly after Apple's, they (google) is already in the lead.
paul4339 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:36 PM   #23
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Apples current google maps app is just fine. What they really need is turn by turn navigation powered by siri. Googles turn by turn is pretty darn good
newdeal is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:36 PM   #24
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Hello iMaps
Blorzoga is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:38 PM   #25
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

I can't blame Apple. They aren't a software company. They sell hardware and they just happen to make software in order to sell the hardware.

They are transitioning into a more software-centered company, but that is definitely going to take time... and one can hardly expect them to keep pace with one of the top software companies that has ever existed (Google) while they are doing so.

Apple doesn't have to beat google maps (nor could they, unless they threw an epic ton of money and time trying to do so). They just need to offer a usable alternative. I expect that Apple will be forced to allow Google apps/maps onto the iphone because Google still does make good software that many users will not want to go without.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion