Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Ghost armor front & back

No scratches
And there it is.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:22 PM   #27
Matthew9559
macrumors 6502a

Had it since launch and I have only gotten a few hairline scratches on the back so far. I would include a pic but the two scratches are pretty much not existant unless you get real close.

I do use a case for my phone at gym and some weekends though so it hasn't been 100% naked.
Matthew9559 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:25 PM   #28
ShaunOK
macrumors newbie

Naked, black, like new. Got it on September 28th.
ShaunOK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:40 PM   #29
Action
macrumors member

I can't imagine what these are gonna look like in 2 years when the contract ends.
Action is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:47 PM   #30
yoshimeow
macrumors member

for the most part in pretty good condition. that chamfer edge is soft as hell tho.. touched the plug on the end and it left a noticeable ding
yoshimeow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:51 PM   #31
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

White-
Few dings on edges and scratches on the reflective apple on the back. Not noticeable unless you look for it.
mankar4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:21 PM   #32
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Have a clear protector on the back, so that's perfect. I've dropped it several times and top right corner is dented, top left (and back left) edge is scuffed. Screen has some extremely light scratches if you look at it turned off in direct light. This is on a black phone.

The only damage seems to be from drops, I'm sure the entire phone would be flawless if I wasn't so clumsy.
acorntoy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:22 PM   #33
Chundles
macrumors G4

No protector. No issues.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:26 PM   #34
mac00l
macrumors 6502

Black - 3 weeks.

Went naked for 2 weeks, but then I dropped it and got some dents in 2 corners. At that moment what I thought HUGE dents, but actually are really small.

Scratches?? None. 2 weeks of heavy and abusive use naked and not a single scratch.

I got the incipio feather case. And actually like my phone better. The soft but firm grip makes a difference, also when using it a lot, the heat don't go directly to your hands.

For me, even naked the phone seems to be more resistant than what people are saying
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:27 PM   #35
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

Mines white, I'm careful, it's fine
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:32 PM   #36
adam044
macrumors 65816

It's fine still looks the same
adam044 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:32 PM   #37
Roofy.
macrumors 6502a

Fine after 3 weeks. A few small nicks but that's it. The fragility of the phone seems to be very blown out of proportion.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:57 PM   #38
cambookpro
macrumors 601

0.5mm deep scratch on edge of phone. Other than that, perfect - and I'd rather have the one or two scratches over two years that having a really bulky phone!!
cambookpro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:08 PM   #39
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieAcevedo View Post
naked since launch day
Damn, that thing is thrashed. Virtually no resale value.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:33 PM   #40
itjw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
Damn, that thing is thrashed. Virtually no resale value.
I hope you're kidding.

This "resale value" thing is starting to get a bit laughable. It's nothing but a cover for OCD (that makes owners feel like they're not the ones with a problem), and that it's just to protect the "resale value". All the while the cost of a case ($20-30, and essentially worthless come "resale") gets lost in the math, along with the fact that at MOST a "perfect" used 4S only fetched a tiny bit more than a "functional" one (per eBay, Amazon, Gazelle, Craigslist, your mom, etc...). Not a broken, water damaged one, just a normally used, fully functional, lightly scratched one.

I do agree that a flawless phone WILL be worth slightly more come resale time, but not significantly more than the amount it costs to KEEP it that way (cases/films/pouches/etc.) especially when you compare it to the average non-dropped, non-abused, naked phone.

Naked since day 1. Not a scratch. I do keep it in a sunglass bag and make sure not to drop it (if it happens I'll just get a new one, no worries). Chances are even if it WAS in a case, the damage (even if slight) would bug me enough to get a new one anyway, so why bother.

The "resale value" belief is nothing more than a cover for OCD.

Go naked!
itjw is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:44 PM   #41
impulse462
macrumors 65816

Out of the box, there was a tiny scuff mark on the mid left side. Obviously that wasn't enough to get me to return it since i got great battery life.

~59 days later, I have one additional super tiny scuff on the top near the sleep/wake button, although I'm not sure how it appeared since I'm relatively careful with my phone.

Either way, I need a microscope to get a good look at either of them so my phone looks pretty much brand new.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:01 PM   #42
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
I hope you're kidding.

This "resale value" thing is starting to get a bit laughable. It's nothing but a cover for OCD (that makes owners feel like they're not the ones with a problem), and that it's just to protect the "resale value". All the while the cost of a case ($20-30, and essentially worthless come "resale") gets lost in the math, along with the fact that at MOST a "perfect" used 4S only fetched a tiny bit more than a "functional" one (per eBay, Amazon, Gazelle, Craigslist, your mom, etc...). Not a broken, water damaged one, just a normally used, fully functional, lightly scratched one.

I do agree that a flawless phone WILL be worth slightly more come resale time, but not significantly more than the amount it costs to KEEP it that way (cases/films/pouches/etc.) especially when you compare it to the average non-dropped, non-abused, naked phone.

Naked since day 1. Not a scratch. I do keep it in a sunglass bag and make sure not to drop it (if it happens I'll just get a new one, no worries). Chances are even if it WAS in a case, the damage (even if slight) would bug me enough to get a new one anyway, so why bother.

The "resale value" belief is nothing more than a cover for OCD.

Go naked!
I re sold every iphone up to the 5 since I have never had the 5. I sold my used 64 gig 4s for $750 cash to a local on craigslist, the only reason I get full price is because my devices are perfect. I cover them in plastic (invisashield) and save the box and accessories so I can attest that resale value is 100% effected by the condition of the device. No way would I have gotten $750 for a thrashed device. They would just buy new.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:03 PM   #43
modthispny
macrumors newbie

have had this iphone 5 for about 3 weeks now, no case, a few scuffs here and there, but nothing too crazy or obvious.

i have apple care +, in 6 months will drop in water and go get a new one for $50.

will do the same when i resell the phone in a year for an iphone 5S
modthispny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:07 PM   #44
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Ahh, yes insurance fraud is always the best solution.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:34 PM   #45
Action
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofy. View Post
Fine after 3 weeks. A few small nicks but that's it. The fragility of the phone seems to be very blown out of proportion.
Uh, a few small nicks after just 3 weeks is pretty significant when the phone is on a 2 year contract.
Action is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:41 PM   #46
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I have been using a Speck Candyshell Grip since day 1, but every now and then I take off the case at my desk and set on a microfiber cloth and admire it's design and think about going naked myself. But I haven't gotten the nerve to try.

How are your DAY 1 naked iPhones holding up?

It's as perfect as day 1. Because I take care of my phone.
applefanDrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:18 PM   #47
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

been using mine naked since launch day

chamfered edge is scuffed all the way around , but its not that noticeable
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:37 PM   #48
jettrue
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
I hope you're kidding.

Go naked!
I'm saving my phone for it's next OCD owner. That's how much I care.

You might be onto something, but if you decide to use extreme examples like a mental disorder, it can also be flipped it the other way. The "naked is awesome, you people are crazy! This scuffed, scratched, dented, cracked screen phone works just the same, it's only an ***** phone, OMG, why are you SOOO OCD", can just be a cover for being a careless accident prone slob.

Everyone is different. That's all there is to it. No one is wrong, and you don't have to be diagnosed with a mental disorder if you like a nice looking like new phone.
jettrue is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:29 PM   #49
shadowjeff
macrumors regular

Naked since day 1 no scratches at all... Until it flew out of my hands and hit a brick wall. Chips, dents, scuffs everywhere except for the screen. Managed to get it swapped at apple store though so back to near-perfect condition.
shadowjeff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:18 PM   #50
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a

My white iPhone 5 looks like the day I bought it!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone