Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:52 PM   #1
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Senator Manchin supports gun debate

Maybe finally we'll make some progress here.

Quote:
West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, an "A" rated member of the NRA, on Monday questioned the availability of assault weapons and suggested Friday's shooting in Newtown, Conn. has opened up the issue for debate.

Manchin issued criticism of assault weapons, saying, "I don't know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle. I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in a clip to go hunting. I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/n...-election.html
miloblithe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:58 PM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Former Congressman Joe Scarborough is on board.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joe-sc...uo-152168.html
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:08 PM   #3
chown33
macrumors 603

We've been down this road before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...lt_Weapons_Ban

I think it's worthwhile reading the whole article, not just to see which weapons and features were banned, but also a summary since the ban expired in 2004.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Ugg
macrumors 68000

It's good to see high profile types step up, but I firmly believe that it's going to take a much greater tragedy than this before anything serious is accomplished. The NRA is too vocal and too callous to care about 'only' 20 kids.
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:42 PM   #5
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
It's good to see high profile types step up, but I firmly believe that it's going to take a much greater tragedy than this before anything serious is accomplished. The NRA is too vocal and too callous to care about 'only' 20 kids.
I think this time it struck a chord like never before. I really think we will see real change this time. It might take years for it to happen but I think the pressure is building and wont back down.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I think this time it struck a chord like never before. I really think we will see real change this time. It might take years for it to happen but I think the pressure is building and wont back down.
We're coming up on the 2-year anniversary of the Gabbie Giffords shooting in Tucson (another "lone psycho" incident, FWIW). I don't recall any significant change in the Federal legislative landscape after her shooting.

Call me cynical, but I don't expect any significant change this time, either. Something mostly symbolic may pass, but I expect it to be roughly like the 1994-2004 "assault weapon" ban, both in scope and effectiveness.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:08 AM   #7
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

That's good; more is better; but the President need to take the lead and "walk the talk".

In addition the first investors jumping from board: http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/news...html?hpt=hp_t2
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.

Last edited by ChristianJapan; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:40 AM   #8
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I do not think anything permanent will be done until there is a discussion about the relationship between the government and the people. Guns in the US are not just viewed as a means of recreation and protection from criminals, but as a deterrent to the formation of a tyrannical government. Given that the police and army are armed, and therefore an potential source of abuse of power, it would unsettle many in the US. Let us suppose that guns were banned in the US - would there be the political will to ban guns from police officers on routine patrol, as is the practice in the UK? Perhaps that is the way to go....
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:07 AM   #9
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Remove the weapon from the police will take another 10 to 15 years; until they can be safe that the number of circulating guns is drastic reduced.

But even after that I'm fine with each member of the police have a gun. UK is a great role model; but I don't feel bad in Germany or Japan where the police even on regular patrol carry a gun. It still give them a slight advantage in case needed to do their job.

But the strategy must be to reduce the number of events. I don't want to warm up the stories from NYC (Empire State Building or Broadway) earlier this year but I'm sure those would have been differently solved when the police could be more confident not to get shot.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:22 AM   #10
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

You know the tide is shifting when the NY Post's opinion page writes this.

Quote:
Has technology rendered the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution obsolete?

That is, has the application of modern military design to civilian firearms produced a class of weapons too dangerous to be in general circulation?

We say: Yes.

Adam Lanza broke into the Sandy Hook Elementary School last Friday morning armed with a “sporting” version of the US military’s principal assault weapon, plus two equally deadly handguns.

In the blink of an eye, he killed 26 people — including 20 small children, all of them shot multiple times.

How many bullets did Lanza fire?

Unclear.

Did he have to pull a trigger to discharge each round?

Yes.

But the fact is that the volume of fire produced by Lanza’s semi-automatic arsenal was substantively the same as the fully automatic “gangster guns” effectively outlawed by Congress in 1934 and again in 1968.

That ban did no real violence to the 2nd Amendment, so it’s hard to see how constraining the availability of high-tech military knockoffs would do so today.

An actual crackdown, of course, will be an entirely different matter.

The Supreme Court in 2008 dispatched the notion that the 2nd Amendment applies only to members of “militias” — ruling that it indeed guarantees the right of individuals to own firearms for self-defense in federal jurisdictions.

Two years later, the court emphatically extended the concept to the states.

And then there’s the politics of guns.

There are enough privately owned firearms in America almost literally to arm every adult citizen.

And Adam Lanza’s rifle of choice — the M-16 knock-off Bushmaster — is insanely popular, just for starters.

Which underscores the fact that historically there is scant political will for weapons control. And it’s unlikely that there will be, once the Sandy Hook slaughter fades from the nation’s consciousness.

But that won’t negate the need for reform. Weapons designed expressly to kill human beings, and then modified (wink wink) to meet the federal machine-gun ban, have no legitimate place in American society.

Time to get rid of them.
rdowns is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues