Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hey,

My design studio only needs a printer for line work, vector based drawings. We need a new large format printer/plotter!

We have been using an old epson r1800 but it's about to die. Ideally we would have a way to print out large (at least 13"x19" or close to these figures) vector based drawings from illustrator and rhino.

Is there a printer/plotter that is well priced that is geared to vector based printing? We don't need high res/ ink wasting technologies...

Also, on a slight budget. Would like to pay around $500 or so, but let me know what your suggestions are!

Thank you so much,

Richard

Jaimer26

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Hey,

My design studio only needs a printer for line work, vector based drawings. We need a new large format printer/plotter!

We have been using an old epson r1800 but it's about to die. Ideally we would have a way to print out large (at least 13"x19" or close to these figures) vector based drawings from illustrator and rhino.

Is there a printer/plotter that is well priced that is geared to vector based printing? We don't need high res/ ink wasting technologies...

Also, on a slight budget. Would like to pay around $500 or so, but let me know what your suggestions are!

Thank you so much,

Richard

Richard - I am a professional pre-flight/designer and printer. Any printer will print vector/line art fine. It's really up to how you pre-flight that makes the difference. Some printers work better with .tif images and some prefer PDF exports. Never print JPG. My suggestion is to find a printer that is well priced as used or refurbished, affordable ink cartridges for your company and most importantly - one that your company can replace parts to should there be problems down the road.

Pre flight is what makes the difference here. I work on HP 50"w printers and on a VuTEK direct to substrate 94" printer. I hope this helps and PM me if you have any other questions.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Richard - I am a professional pre-flight/designer and printer. Any printer will print vector/line art fine. It's really up to how you pre-flight that makes the difference. Some printers work better with .tif images and some prefer PDF exports. Never print JPG. My suggestion is to find a printer that is well priced as used or refurbished, affordable ink cartridges for your company and most importantly - one that your company can replace parts to should there be problems down the road.

Pre flight is what makes the difference here. I work on HP 50"w printers and on a VuTEK direct to substrate 94" printer. I hope this helps and PM me if you have any other questions.

thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

I am trying to figure out which option to go with between the three below... let me know what you think if you have the time:

1: A refurbished HP Designjet such as one found here:
http://www.aectec.com/ ($800ish)

2: A midrange 13" x 19" Canon printer (other brand?) such as the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 ($500ish)

3: A low range large format printer such as the Canon Mark II Inkjet Photo Printer. This would mostly be for line work templates for model making ($150ish)

A few questions:

-which is the most reliable?
-which is the most future proof for mac driver stability?
-which is the lowest cost to run?

Thank you so much!

r.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

-which is the most reliable?
-which is the most future proof for mac driver stability?
-which is the lowest cost to run?

Reliability. Printer/plotters are professional devices intended for professional use. Any manufacturer mentioned here will provide printer/plotters that will give gives of reliable service.

Future Proof. The most future-proof technology is PostScript. With a PostScript printer/plotter, you don't need to worry about OS support from the manufacturer. If your OS has a PostScript driver--and virtually OSs have one--then all you need is a PPD file to be set.

Lowest Cost. I am not advocating that you through money at the printer/plotter. However, your first concern should be how well it does the job. And, let us not forget that you cannot expect the bargain basement device to be as reliable and durable as the professional device that you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.