Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I would stop upgrading my iPhone on every release if Apple..

• Went to a 6 month product cycle

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Went to a 3 month product cycle

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Went to a 1 month product cycle

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I do it if it went to everyday! I need the bleeding edge of technology!

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
At what point would it become a pain in the butt to upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I tend to upgrade about 2 to 3 years. I wish here in Canada we only had 2 year contracts though like our neighbours south of the border. Anyone from Europe that can tell me how long cellular contracts are over there?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Well if you get the device every year you just sell it for maximum value a few days before announcement or if you have $650 to spare just buy it lol

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
Here u can get 12 18 or 24 month contract but its so pricey for iphones that dont worth it at all.
For example the iphone 5 cost withoutt contract 739€ ( the most expensive price inn whole europe and we have the worst :) economy) and with a year contract with lets say 30/40€ per month u stil need to pay like 650€ for the phone..

It really dont worth it !!

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Here u can get 12 18 or 24 month contract but its so pricey for iphones that dont worth it at all.
For example the iphone 5 cost withoutt contract 739€ ( the most expensive price inn whole europe and we have the worst :) economy) and with a year contract with lets say 30/40€ per month u stil need to pay like 650€ for the phone..

It really dont worth it !!

Geez. that's terrible!

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
LOL @ the everyday option. That would seriously be nuts. I think these forums would explode.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
as it looks i can upgrade every year at the upgrade price because i have two lines one is my main line iphone line...and the other is the ipad and i can use that lines upgrade...so if the next one is really good ill upgrade if not i may wait.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
LOL @ the everyday option. That would seriously be nuts. I think these forums would explode.

"Do you think I should get the iPhone 2304 tomorrow, or wait till Thursday for the iPhone 2306 which has a better camera, or the next day with the additional memory?" LMAO!

Total caos :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I actually ticked every three months, but the trouble with me is I tend to buy the newest as it comes out....That's not just the IP, also applies to the ipad too. It does depend on WHAT the upgrade is though.....I would not have bought ab iPad 4 if it had been a minor feature bump, but double? Yes, and the same would go for the phone too I guess.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I usually upgrade every year but if it became every 6 months or less I wouldnt.
Once a year is not bad cause like said above you sell your last years iphone and put in some more and get the new or you are available for upgrade every other year and you get it on subsidy and pocket the money when you sell your old.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
There are people here who are very good at getting top resale value for their stuff or who have a lot of money. I just wanted to know at what point does it just get to be a pain in butt or down right silly for them.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Once every year is kind of too much.

They should start a Pro/Air-like strategy with iPhones.

A massive 5" top notch iPhone for power users with the ability to display either iPad or iPhone version of an App, with NFC and everything technology has to offer.

And then the 4" super slim iPhone. With retina and all the "beauty" but with limited power in exchange of massive battery life.

Then they could go with a 1.5-2 year cycles intervened between each. Every year there would be new iPhones, still you could opt to stick with only one kind of iPhone and upgrade once 1.5 or 2 years and be on the safe side.

SirAguilera

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I got a 4S a year ago, my first iPhone ever, very happy with it, I'll just wait for the 5S to upgrade.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I got every version of the iPhone since the original iPhone 1, except the current iPhone 5.

Just recently upgraded to the Note 2.

Will probably get the next version of the iPhone when it comes out.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I was upgrading at each new release. However, the iPhone 5 turned out to be a questionable "upgrade". In fact after a few weeks with it, I simply couldn't continue to suffer the frustrations of the very incomplete Apple maps. Ad to that the other various bugs & annoyances, all well documented in the forums, and it was time to shelve it, and return to my excellent, reliable, fast & fun iPhone 4S.

Looking across the landscape of Apple product "upgrades" during calendar year 2012, and it's all too obvious they are now more focused on other things besides value based upgrades.

Therefore, I've decided to stop pre-ordering and instead just take a wait & see approach. I'll wait for others to post their experiences, problems & bugs. Apple has lost my trust at this juncture. I respect their right to value profits above all else. And I in turn, will stop automatically feeding their addiction.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I've had the 4, 4s and now 5. Been able to get deals from the Canadian cell carriers to essentially subsidize the whole cost of my iPhones. For the cancelation fees (in quebec we simply pay off what's left of our subsidization on the phone ex.$500/36 months) I sell the device and that covers most of what I owe. For the 5 with the subsidies and carrier credit they gave me I paid essentially $5.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I upgrade depending on whether the next iPhone model has something good enough for me to upgrade to it. So far, that's been the case for every release.

I doubt Apple is really going for a 6 month cycle, but if they are, I have a feeling the changes will be more and more incremental, meaning I'll skip cycles. I'll have just to see what the next model brings.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
At what point would it become a pain in the butt to upgrade?

According to poll results, 67.44% of people (more than 2/3) would stop upgrading their iPhone on every release
if Apple went to a 6 month product cycle. Meanwhile, Apple is already on 6 month product cycle for iDevices! Bwahahaha :D

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
every 8-12 months is fine for me.. heck 6 months may be too soon.. but if I secured the funds then why the heck not

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
i'm lucky enough to have a job that can afford me an iphone upgrade every half day, should it ever come to that, and i'd be inclined to upgrade every day - i'd just use the "one-ahead" method.

i'd upgrade every day...but i'd buy every upgrade second hand from the guy who's also upgrading every day but purchasing his phone new from the store :D

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I can afford to upgrade as often as Apple releases, but as a grown-up, I value my money more than that. I see no realistic reason to upgrade more than once a year.

As it has worked out, the initial releases are so rattled with problems, that I end up getting the refined 'S' models every other year.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
i'm lucky enough to have a job that can afford me an iphone upgrade every half day, should it ever come to that, and i'd be inclined to upgrade every day - i'd just use the "one-ahead" method.

i'd upgrade every day...but i'd buy every upgrade second hand from the guy who's also upgrading every day but purchasing his phone new from the store :D

lol, that's a good idea. Can you imagine though having to go to the store every day to get a new phone? Also you have to remember the phone won't come fully charged :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.