Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:23 PM   #51
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauPaul View Post
Why do you need to type - use Siri
Because no one wants to look and sound like a moron in public.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:25 PM   #52
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
How about you just let Siri dictate directly from the professor or the guy who's speaking?
Voice Memos are much better for that use.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:26 PM   #53
fxscreamer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulloewen View Post
I've written two novels on an iPad 2 and Clamcase. It's an amazing experience, to be honest. The touchscreen works for 500-1,000 words, but beyond that gets frustrating. Firstly, you're not looking directly at the screen (and can get some strange glare). Secondly, your hands are slightly more cramped than with a keyboard (which is as wide as the iPad with bezel). Thirdly, you can't see as much of your document because the keyboard takes up half the screen.

Why not use a laptop? Well, there are things the iPad can do that laptops can't (mostly gaming, but also simply the ease and comfort of browsing on the couch). So you buy an iPad for $500 (for its strengths) and then a laptop for $1000 (for the keyboard)? Or just an iPad for $500 and $100 for a keyboard? You end up getting the best of both worlds (unless you want OS X, which is another story completely).
Or you could see it as the glass half empty. I suppose you're saying that an iPad is better for gaming than a laptop, assuming you're buying things like Angry Birds on the app store. However, this to me is an apple and oranges comparison. Tablet games are completely their own market compared to the traditional hardcore and even casual game market. That's like comparing motorcycles to automobiles. Both are transportation, but completely different. An iPad feels like a watered down laptop experience with a limited OS. Granted, it's nice to "lounge" on the couch and browse without a hot laptop on you, but I still can't personally justify a $500 couch machine. I know a few people that bought iPads and have found they hardly use them (everyone is different I know).

My point is, trying to convince someone that an iPad is a laptop replacement for all your office and gaming needs is simply laughable. An iPad is a convenience gadget, but not a workhorse. For the first time in my life, I would actually admit a Windows 8 Surface could potentially be more office friendly, mainly due to it's FULL OS potential, and the built in keyboard. There's no watering down that I have found obvious. However, I'd always take the laptop first.

ANALOGY
The comparison is kind of like deciding between a Point n Shoot camera or an SLR. Then you have the budget SLR's like a Canon Powershot S5 (old I know) that's a point n shoot, but also has SLR-like properties. Many would think this is the "best of both worlds". I would disagree, saying it is weaknesses of both. A point n shoot is truly portable, and an SLR takes unbelievable pictures. The mid-range is neither portable, nor takes pictures as well as an SLR, or even has as many options. I say go with the camera with the main strength you prefer and embrace it, not try to fill in a void.
fxscreamer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:26 PM   #54
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodThePlod View Post
It's so awkward the way she's interacting with it. The ad would actually look quite slick if it weren't for those fumbles

Sorry to hi-jack this part of the thread, but I also pretty much wrote both of my eBooks in Pages on my iPad. This was done over the course of a number of months - mainly while sitting in the car waiting for my kids to come out of dance/drama classes, etc.

I eventually tidied it up and finished it off in Word, but the bulk of the work was done in Pages - without an external keyboard!

RTP.
Very nice. So it's possible
iRCL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:33 PM   #55
roland.g
macrumors 603

The iPad Mini Mod thing is not a steal. It comes from the same company that makes those cardboard cracker Lightning docks out of China. It may look better than the Belkin unit, but it'll be in your trash can inside of a week.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:36 PM   #56
Westside guy
macrumors 601

Different strokes for different folks, I guess - but if I needed to type all the time on a portable device, I'd get a laptop.

Which is what I did.

On a bit of a side note - I just got my Mini this morning, and a big part of its appeal is its slimness and lightness! Permanently adding a case that would increase that by 2x or more would defeat the purpose of having it... for me anyway.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:44 PM   #57
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
The iPad Mini Mod thing is not a steal. It comes from the same company that makes those cardboard cracker Lightning docks out of China. It may look better than the Belkin unit, but it'll be in your trash can inside of a week.
Good to know.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:55 PM   #58
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
I just love the Logitec keyboard on my iPad3. It works without all the extra fold-up cover stuff. I hope they make a similar one for the mini.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:02 PM   #59
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad g View Post
I wish I could just find an iPad Mini in stock somewhere!
Same here, in NYC, went to 5 different stores in Downtown Manhattan (including 2 AS): none were to be found... I guess I'll just wait for the retina
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:19 PM   #60
Jynto
macrumors 6502

I just wish it had a command key.
Jynto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:25 PM   #61
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikv View Post
if you pair an apple blutooth keyboard with an iphone (i'm unsure if this is the case with an ipad), you are unable to use enter/return to 'send' messages if you're using messages. its inconvenience of having to select 'send' on the phone makes the convenience of having an available keyboard for lengthier messages, well, not so convenient.. it would be such a simple fix
There are several jailbreak tools that let for this. (Too bad nothing for non-JB'n devices.)
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:26 PM   #62
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to j_maddison Send a message via MSN to j_maddison Send a message via Yahoo to j_maddison Send a message via Skype™ to j_maddison
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
TBH I've never really understood keyboard cases on tablets. They make the tablet significantly more bulky, hindering it's portability, and aren't as good for using on the lap as laptops... So why not just use a laptop? 11" MBA anyone?
11" MBA = about 2 -2/12 hours of usable battery life, for my tasks at least. it's also a disconnected device, which is another reason the battery drains faster, dongles!

Most of the time I just use the onboard keyboard, but if I want to type something more lengthily and have access to a table, then I'll use a physical keyboard. The difference for me 44-50wpm or circa 80wpm. Sure I'm not the fastest touch typist in the world, but its just significantly quicker to type on a physical keybaord.

The form factor of the MacBook air, and the lack of battery life and connectivity make it a no go for me. I do have a 13" MBA, and occasionally carry both. I'm sure that will baffle you now! There are occasions where a Tablet just doesn't have the full functionality you need in your working day

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
It's for people that WANT to have a tablet, because it's cool, but don't understand WHY tablets are great. Like most of the people in business that are using iPads. Some of the full pad iPad setups literally are bigger than MBAs

Kind of like the people who buy the thinnest lightest phone and the biggest bulkiest case to keep it "safe" (or any case for that matter)
I work in business, I use my iPad regularly, maybe you just don't work in a business area that benefits from the use of one. i don't play games on my iPad and seldom use it as a consumer device.

Just to give you a hint at why business people use iPads/ tablets.

1/ Battery life
2/ Productivity, time literally is money and there isn't always enough hours in the day
3/ Apps. i can access my vpn, get onto my CRM database, e mail, calendar, use my iPad as a GPS to find clients, navigate the London underground with it, find a near by coffee shop or restaurant for meetings, calculator, Goto meetings for collaboration/ product updates, product information, presentations (keynote onto an OHP), viewing spreadsheets, PDF viewer, and journey planning/ time management.

Those are just the things off the top of my head, without looking at my iPad to see what I've got on it.

Looks like maybe its you who doesn't understand why tablets are cool

All joking aside, we all use tablets for different things, and that will often change depending on where we are in our lives or daily activities.

p.s. I don't have a case on my iPhone and only a smart cover on my iPad. I like how thin they both are, even if that does mean a few scuffs here and there
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:26 PM   #63
paulloewen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
rofl nice

Or the on/off switch move she did. Without audio on, the ad looks like a joke

----------

What app did you use to write a novel in?
Pages, primarily. I used to use Evernote until iCloud worked well to sync documents to my primary computer (MBP).
paulloewen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:41 PM   #64
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Progress. If Apple wants to make iOS really useful they will make it so that MacOS applications run on iOS devices and visa-versa.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauPaul View Post
Why do you need to type - use Siri
I can type faster and more accurate than Siri can take dictation.
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:12 PM   #65
Galatian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
bla...

Why not use a laptop? Well, there are things the iPad can do that laptops can't (mostly gaming, but also simply the ease and comfort of browsing on the couch). So you buy an iPad for $500 (for its strengths) and then a laptop for $1000 (for the keyboard)? Or just an iPad for $500 and $100 for a keyboard? You end up getting the best of both worlds (unless you want OS X, which is another story completely).
Are you suggesting an iPad will run Games better then a Laptop? My 100GB Steam library begs to differ. Even the "crappy" HD4000 integrated graphic card in my 13" rMBP runs circles around any ARM processor and will probably do so for the next years to come...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:20 PM   #66
Photics
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad g View Post
I wish I could just find an iPad Mini in stock somewhere!
If you're near NYC, checking the Grand Central Station Apple Store might help...
http://www.apple.com/retail/grandcentral/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
are you being sarcastic?
I was actually surprised with the dictation feature. I was using it in a noisy Apple Store and it was fairly accurate. It makes me wonder if I even need a keyboard. Although, I think the dictation feature requires Internet Access, so I have been thinking of getting a keyboard/case for my iPad Mini.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:25 PM   #67
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

looks cramped
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:29 PM   #68
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Is there an iPad version of this keyboard?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:32 PM   #69
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
Progress. If Apple wants to make iOS really useful they will make it so that MacOS applications run on iOS devices and visa-versa.
...you mean like Microsoft is doing with the Surface x64?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:46 PM   #70
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I've written two novels on an iPad 2 and Clamcase. It's an amazing experience, to be honest. The touchscreen works for 500-1,000 words, but beyond that gets frustrating. Firstly, you're not looking directly at the screen (and can get some strange glare). Secondly, your hands are slightly more cramped than with a keyboard (which is as wide as the iPad with bezel). Thirdly, you can't see as much of your document because the keyboard takes up half the screen.

It's people like you that make me concerned for the future of Mac computers. Not that there's anything wrong with you or your opinions (I'm sure you're a great person, let's be friends!) but if enough people start sharing this attitude, Apple will give up on actual computers more than they already have.

iPads are fun to play around with, but real work and even real casual internet browsing, at least for me, has to be done on a computer.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:58 PM   #71
Eric S.
macrumors 68040

The more they make it like a Macbook, the more interested I'd be. But wait ... I already have a couple MBPs. Sorry, still no sale.
Eric S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:24 PM   #72
paulloewen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxscreamer View Post
Or you could see it as the glass half empty. I suppose you're saying that an iPad is better for gaming than a laptop, assuming you're buying things like Angry Birds on the app store. However, this to me is an apple and oranges comparison. Tablet games are completely their own market compared to the traditional hardcore and even casual game market. That's like comparing motorcycles to automobiles. Both are transportation, but completely different. An iPad feels like a watered down laptop experience with a limited OS. Granted, it's nice to "lounge" on the couch and browse without a hot laptop on you, but I still can't personally justify a $500 couch machine. I know a few people that bought iPads and have found they hardly use them (everyone is different I know).

My point is, trying to convince someone that an iPad is a laptop replacement for all your office and gaming needs is simply laughable. An iPad is a convenience gadget, but not a workhorse. For the first time in my life, I would actually admit a Windows 8 Surface could potentially be more office friendly, mainly due to it's FULL OS potential, and the built in keyboard. There's no watering down that I have found obvious. However, I'd always take the laptop first.

ANALOGY
The comparison is kind of like deciding between a Point n Shoot camera or an SLR. Then you have the budget SLR's like a Canon Powershot S5 (old I know) that's a point n shoot, but also has SLR-like properties. Many would think this is the "best of both worlds". I would disagree, saying it is weaknesses of both. A point n shoot is truly portable, and an SLR takes unbelievable pictures. The mid-range is neither portable, nor takes pictures as well as an SLR, or even has as many options. I say go with the camera with the main strength you prefer and embrace it, not try to fill in a void.
I don't have time to sit down and play a computer game for an hour at a time. As such, games you can play for 3-5 minutes and have fun are perfect (plus, a lot cheaper). The turn-based gaming with friends is also more prevalent on the mobile platform.

Absolutely the iPad/keyboard is not a workhorse. I never said it was. But the iPad has a phenomenal battery life and a lot of fun strengths. I would never suggest an iPad replace a full-blown computer. I use it as a second device that's more portable than my laptop.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Are you suggesting an iPad will run Games better then a Laptop? My 100GB Steam library begs to differ. Even the "crappy" HD4000 integrated graphic card in my 13" rMBP runs circles around any ARM processor and will probably do so for the next years to come...
I don't have time to sit down for hours at a time to game. Quick, easy games are the only thing I would have time for.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
It's people like you that make me concerned for the future of Mac computers. Not that there's anything wrong with you or your opinions (I'm sure you're a great person, let's be friends!) but if enough people start sharing this attitude, Apple will give up on actual computers more than they already have.

iPads are fun to play around with, but real work and even real casual internet browsing, at least for me, has to be done on a computer.
I still use a MBP all the time. But for on the go (and on the couch), the iPad is wonderful.
paulloewen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:24 PM   #73
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

I have a laptop already thanks. Don't pull a "Surface" on us.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:36 PM   #74
rodriguise
macrumors member

Finally a setup for this guy.

Late 2008 MBP | iPhone 5 | Box of stale Ritz | 3 Paperclips | A Roll of duct tape | Fifth of Tullamore (neat)
rodriguise is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:37 PM   #75
Alan / Falcon
macrumors newbie

Writing a novel on iPad

Quote:
Pages, primarily. I used to use Evernote until iCloud worked well to sync documents to my primary computer (MBP)
I wrote my first novel on my iMac using nothing but Mail. Yup, the built in mail program in OS X. People used to write with pens and paper, after all, so there's no real need for frills and without them I focus more on writing.

Now my circumstances have changed and my iMac isn't ideally suited for concentrating on writing, so I use a bluetooth keyboard with my original iPad and an easel stand for writing, still using Mail, just this time on the iPad. Mail is great because it's one of the most stable apps, it automatically saves drafts, I can hit "send" at any time to save/preserve/backup a draft of my current chapter. And with the iPad, it's a distraction-free environment since there's no real multi-tasking available. A laptop would be the ideal for me, but since I don't own one but do own the iPad, this works great and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Alan Falcon

Last edited by Alan / Falcon; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Alan / Falcon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion