Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
GKDAIR
macrumors regular

Are gamers threatened by the iPad?

Hardcore gamers seem to have a hatred of the device, and the ios platform.

I think they are scared. The graphics are getting better, the technology is getting better, I personally believe the traditional console will not be around much longer. Look how everybody is concered with getting things smaller and faster. Nobody will want a clunky console that doesn't upgrade or change for 7+ years. I mean it's bad when my phone has better graphics than some xbox 360 games.

Now, yes. ios games still have a long way to go before they can compete with traditional 60 dollar games. But the potential is there.
GKDAIR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:03 PM   #2
pjv1990
macrumors newbie

For me the problem isn't the graphics/power of the tablet or how stunning the games are for it, its the control method. A tablet cannot compete with a joypad/keyboard for controlling games, I couldnt imagine trying to play a game like skyrim on an iPad and its for that reason alone that tablets will never be the main platform for games.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:16 PM   #3
bizzle
macrumors 6502a

It's a shame all that power is wasted when the games are barely playable due to having to use invisible buttons.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I might be in the minority here but, as much as I love my iPad it will never replace my PC for gaming. I play simple games on the iPad but for hardcore games I need a keyboard and a mouse.
Ladybug is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:38 PM   #5
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
I might be in the minority here but, as much as I love my iPad it will never replace my PC for gaming. I play simple games on the iPad but for hardcore games I need a keyboard and a mouse.
+1

Call of Duty on a 30" LCD with keyboard and mouse will never be touched by a tablet.

Never.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
supertomtom
macrumors member

Just because people love watching YouTube clips and videos on their mobile doesn't mean watching full length films in cinema or HDTV will become obsolete. It's a different experience. Sure there might be some overlaps but generally speaking people will suit different devices to different needs just like they do with games.
supertomtom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I'm also for co-existence ... I tried Doom on iPad. It's not the same as on the PC. Controlling with keyboard was more precise years back. For the learning curve is still too steep for me.

Other games will never be as good on the PC (like AngryBirds or CatapultKing): they life for the interaction with the device.

While the tablets have already quite good power the much better one remain on the desktop. For some years to come.

Using both is ok. And even combine.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:41 PM   #8
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

I don't think "hard-core" gamers are threatened by any mobile gaming device. But it somewhat depends on how you define hardcore...

-MMORPG "hardcore" gamers? Nothing compares to depth of a full PC experience, not even consoles.
-FPS "hardcore" gamers. Nope, although the engines are getting better, and a lot of the better portable FPS games support online multiplayer, it took years for console FPS games to threaten dominance over keyboard+mouse PC FPS games. And that's still a hotly debated point as-is.
-RTS/Strategy gamers. I'd argue that while the mobile gaming platforms CAN rival PC games for this, particularly when you consider the real-time aspect of "always with me" online gaming, there are very few that have actually done so. I'm somewhat surprised that all those "Free to Play" web/Flash games (like Evony) haven't migrated en masse to the iOS/Android devices yet. Seems like PERFECT opportunity for them to move in. I know when I once played Travian, that game all but SCREAMED for a mobile app so you could keep an eye on your villages/attacks/etc.
-Arcade "hardcore" gamers. Are there any of these left? If so, I'd say the virtual controls of most mobile devices makes this less than ideal.

So really, the only "hardcore" gamers that may be worried about mobile gaming are the RTS strategy gang. And even then..unfulfilled potential only.

Now CASUAL gamers...well, that's a whole different topic. But by definition, I'd say that mobile gaming has opened up a whole new segment of the population to casual gaming than ever existed before.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:11 PM   #9
dpc
macrumors newbie

I think only a fanboy would feel threatened by a platform.
dpc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

I ind that turn based card games are quite suited for mobile. Sometimes, you just want a quick game or two outside and it's there in your smartphone or ipad. No need to switch on your pc or sit in front of it.

Otherwise, the other games either have cumbersome controls, or dumbed down significantly to make them run on a touchscreen.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

Yeah i dont think people will like the idea of playing halo or cod on the ipad.....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:39 PM   #12
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Your logic makes no sense at all. Why would a gamer feel threatened by a gaming device? Did gamers feel threatened by the Gameboy or PSP? No, because they payed games. Are gamers threatened by tablets? No, because they play games.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Actually Id say no, most hardcore gamers (used to be one and know plenty of them) usually own one or two devices of each platform.
They'll have one or two xboxes, ps3, wii, iPads, iPhones, iPods, whatever they can game on, you name it. Hardcore gamers have very little sense in the way of financial responsibility. The penny pinching tightwad on the other hand will pick a platform and defend it to the bitter end justifying their purchase, but a hardcore gamer? No. They probably have one of each model.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

I have an iPad which I play games on from time to time and it just isn't the same as traditional gaming and it never will be.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:36 PM   #15
jedolley
macrumors 68000

I don't think the iPad/tablets are threatening consoles, but I think if the proper steps are taken, they could kill off the portable devices (i.e. Nintendo 3DS & PSP/PS Vita). The problem, as stated previously, is the lack of controls. Some developers have done a marvelous job of using what the iPad has to offer and making a great game even in terms of controls, but if they could somehow take the step further to incorporate an optional controller, then we would probably see many more games that are right now just a sketch of an idea.

The problem with a controller is that it would have to be something Apple builds into iOS that all developers can use in their games, that would be the only way we would see it fully supported. The ones that are available now aren't native to iOS and I believe the developers have to code their support into the game which is why many of the games out there do not support them.
jedolley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:31 PM   #16
aleni
macrumors 68000

gamecenter limitation of users playing at the same time, and the slow server of multiplayer games in iOS devices are the backwards.

there is no tablet to replace playing Counter Strike GO with friends on steam.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:55 PM   #17
motty2307
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post
Hardcore gamers seem to have a hatred of the device, and the ios platform.

I think they are scared. The graphics are getting better, the technology is getting better, I personally believe the traditional console will not be around much longer. Look how everybody is concered with getting things smaller and faster. Nobody will want a clunky console that doesn't upgrade or change for 7+ years. I mean it's bad when my phone has better graphics than some xbox 360 games.

Now, yes. ios games still have a long way to go before they can compete with traditional 60 dollar games. But the potential is there.
I consider myself a hardcore gamer and couldn't imagine solely gaming on an iOS device. I've tried playing some FPS games on my iPad/iPhone but the lack of physical buttons quickly has me heading back to my Xbox. Now simpler games, such as Words with Friends, Draw Something, or Angry Birds, are fantastic on iOS devices but wouldn't have nearly the same appeal if they were on the Xbox.

For me, gaming on a traditional system (which don't even really exist anymore; they are media devices that also play games, but that's another conversation) is a much more immersive experience than gaming on an iOS device.
motty2307 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:57 PM   #18
CavemanChuck
macrumors newbie

Personally, I think most games on tablets are pure garbage, tho I certainly have my share of games. And I am a big PC gamer, but I am also getting a mini for Christmas ( LOL, I know, as it is already in my home, but unopened ).

I'm not the least bit "threatened"..... I prefer PC gaming, then my PS3, then my 360, then my PSP, Then my Wii, then my DS xl, and then finally, a tablet.

But I love tablets. I just think they suck for most gaming.
CavemanChuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:01 PM   #19
dancj
macrumors regular

I used to be more of a gamer (though not really hardcore since my old ZX Spectrum) but since I got my iPad I pretty much stopped bothering to play games on my PC.

The iPad doesn't compete on FPS games (though I thoroughly enjoy NOVA 3 and Modern Combat 3) but for pretty much everything else the iPad does a great job - as long as the game is well designed. That includes fighters, platformers, shooters, flying games, board games, card games, RTS, turn based strategy, RPG.
dancj is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad