Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Had black, gone white and wow

Decided 16gb (bought at launch sim free) wasn't enough space on my iPhone and I managed to finally get a decent deal out of EE for an early upgrade, so today I sold my black iPhone 5 and got a white 32 on upgrade..

My first thoughts of the white were a little 'cheap' and 'tacky' when Apple showed it, but in the flesh it is gorgeous.

Very happy and for the record, both my black phones had marks and scuffs, and a generally poorer build quality but this white is immaculate and solid.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
TheNewDude
macrumors 6502a

I was really hoping to use the phrase, "Once you go black, you never go back." but you gave me absolutely nothing! Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewDude View Post
I was really hoping to use the phrase, "Once you go black, you never go back." but you gave me absolutely nothing! Thanks!
You know, I had the same thought but couldn't rephrase!!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
You know, I had the same thought but couldn't rephrase!!
"Once you go white, you'll see the light".

For me it was more "Once I saw white I decided to go black". Mine is flawless and I think in the flesh it just has a slight edge being rather stealthy than elegant looking.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:34 AM   #5
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

I have the white one, and I want the black one. As one reviewer said, the white one looks too feminine, too much like jewelry. The black is sexy.
zbarvian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:36 AM   #6
whoRichard
macrumors newbie

The white is damn nice too. Honestly though I am perfectly fine with my choice with the 32gb black iPhone 5. My girlfriend has a white iPhone 5 and I do think it's nice too but since I had the 4S in white and an S3 in white, I felt a bit "drained" from seeing white all the time haha.
whoRichard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:00 AM   #7
LoloBond
macrumors 6502

I went from black to white and I like the white a lot more.. with black one, I had to clean the back constantly due to fingerprints, plus I didn't want to deal with scratches on the black bezel. The only thing I liked about the black was the flushed black screen, but still like the white better.
LoloBond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:16 AM   #8
flipn0tic
macrumors member

If you are worried about your perceived sexuality based on owning a white iPhone, you have bigger issues than the color of your phone.
flipn0tic is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:23 AM   #9
drsox
macrumors 65816

Black is so 2000. White has always been elegant, like most Apple stuff.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:28 AM   #10
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

I have the black 5 and my wife has the white. The white one will hold up much better over time and is a nice looking phone. The black looks great, but if you don't keep it in a case 100% of the time it will look weathered in a matter of days. Considering that, switching to white isn't a bad move, especially when you want to sell it to purchase the 6.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:50 AM   #11
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

I went in there looking for a black 64gb but all they had was white 32gb. The genius told me I have 30 days to exchange if I want but the white is starting to grow on me. If anyone is worried about their sexuality for having the iPhone in white needs to look in the mirror
Prime85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:58 AM   #12
iapplelove
Banned

the white iPhone 4/4s was the best. the 5 in white not so much don't know why,the all black iphone sold me in a second and i had all intentions of buying white .

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchYouGo View Post
I have the black 5 and my wife has the white. The white one will hold up much better over time and is a nice looking phone. The black looks great, but if you don't keep it in a case 100% of the time it will look weathered in a matter of days. Considering that, switching to white isn't a bad move, especially when you want to sell it to purchase the 6.
i disagree. i have never put any iPhones in cheap plastic cases and they always look mint. my 5 i bought on launch isn't in a case if i told u i bought it yesterday u would believe me. it's been almost 2 months to the day and zero scuffs zero scratches.

over time the white iphone will discolor especially the home button and in the sun it will look hideous. unlike u i speak from experience
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:02 AM   #13
lovetamarav
macrumors member

I go back and forth on which is better. I've always had white iPhones since the 3G, 3GS and 4, and bought white again this time with the iPhone 5. I'm kinda of wishing I had a black one though.
lovetamarav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:13 AM   #14
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have the black 5 and my wife has the white. The white one will hold up much better over time and is a nice looking phone. The black looks great, but if you don't keep it in a case 100% of the time it will look weathered in a matter of days.
I doubt it will weather in days and I still need to see all those weather iPhones.

I am sure it will show wear over time, but I am perfectly fine with that. My 3G had that too and it was no problem until the back actually cracked just from daily use.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:25 AM   #15
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
Very happy and for the record, both my black phones had marks and scuffs, and a generally poorer build quality but this white is immaculate and solid.
This made me LOL.

I did hear that they make the white ones in the Tier 1 Foxconn plan where only tenured foxconn employees work and only after having had 8-10 hours of sleep and a hearty breakfast to ensure proper nutrients for assembling the "white" phones.

----------

All joking aside, I have yet to see a white one in person.

I am glad you like the white one. I may venture into that territory for the next iphone
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:52 AM   #16
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
I have to agree. I'd disliked the look of the white phone ever since the initial iP5 leaks, but when they actually released and I had the chance to handle them I was surprised to find I much preferred it to the murdered-out black/slate version. It feels brighter and cleaner to me. Not to mention less scuff-prone.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:00 AM   #17
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
I did hear that they make the white ones in the Tier 1 Foxconn plan where only tenured foxconn employees work and only after having had 8-10 hours of sleep and a hearty breakfast to ensure proper nutrients for assembling the "white" phones.
That's ridiculous, they are just happier when assembling a friendly white iPhone instead of depressing black ones.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:02 AM   #18
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

I have never had an iPhone but I may go white and pay respects to my iMac G5...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:09 AM   #19
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukulcan View Post
That's ridiculous, they are just happier when assembling a friendly white iPhone instead of depressing black ones.
I would have thought that they prefer assembling black as it absorbs more light and white reflects more light thus shining more brightly into their eyes.

Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:41 AM   #20
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
I would have thought that they prefer assembling black as it absorbs more light and white reflects more light thus shining more brightly into their eyes.

No they are all nearly blind from cheap 65% Báijiǔ they drink to endure their miserable existence, so they are happy they can see the phones at all, not just using their tactile senses.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:13 AM   #21
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I like the black 5! I had a white 4S and it kept getting dirty along the edges. Atleast with the black it isn't as noticeable.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:22 AM   #22
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No they are all nearly blind from cheap 65% Báijiǔ they drink to endure their miserable existence, so they are happy they can see the phones at all, not just using their tactile senses.
wow, dark.
Leonard1818 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:33 AM   #23
jettrue
macrumors member

Quote:
jettrue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:35 AM   #24
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
the white iPhone 4/4s was the best. the 5 in white not so much don't know why,the all black iphone sold me in a second and i had all intentions of buying white .

----------

i disagree. i have never put any iPhones in cheap plastic cases and they always look mint. my 5 i bought on launch isn't in a case if i told u i bought it yesterday u would believe me. it's been almost 2 months to the day and zero scuffs zero scratches.

over time the white iphone will discolor especially the home button and in the sun it will look hideous. unlike u i speak from experience

Actually, you speak ignorantly assuming I don't have experience. I had a black iPhone 5 that had much of the bezel showing through after less than a week. It was returned due to an antenna issue. When Apple gave me the replacement it was already scratched from the factory. I immediately showed the rep and he gave me another without scratches. My new one is in a case. I also had an iPhone 4 for over 2 years that looked new when I sold and it wasn't in a case. Before that I had the 3G, and I've seen many white iPhones, plenty of experience here.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:40 AM   #25
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Actually, you speak ignorantly assuming I don't have experience. I had a black iPhone 5 that had much of the bezel showing through after less than a week.
If you had a black iP5 with much of the bezel worn off after only a week, you had one with defective anodized coating. Speaking from experience in this case is meaningless as this isn't normal. Many of us (including myself) still have flawless black iP5 after two months.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone