Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Xeyad
macrumors regular

Stock weather widget in Notification Center [w/photos]

I present to you something definitely considered to be a first. The famous weather widget that's on the iPhone's Notification Center has somehow reached to the iPad Mini. I was stunned at first, but I have a story to explain it.

I have a jailbroken iPad 1, and I did install a tweak that enables the iPhone's weather widget onto the iPad. When I bought a new iPad Mini, I restored from the iPad 1's iCloud backup. Therefore, it restored everything from the old iPad, including the stock weather widget. I know it's not supposed to happen, but for some pretty weird unknown reason, it happened!

It's missing any kind of settings in Notification for moving it or even switching it on or off. So basically it's stuck here forever.

Anyone has any other explanation for this?

Xeyad is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:07 PM   #2
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

Hey thats pretty darn cool! I still never understood why Apple feel the need to leave out the Weather app and widgets (and calculator too) on the iPad....it's so strange.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Xeyad
macrumors regular

I know it's pretty cool to have it. But I want to move it above the share widget, but the settings for it is missing.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:11 PM   #4
freejack
macrumors regular

I wonder if the devteam can determine if this is a vulnerability that can be used to jailbreak the mini.
freejack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by freejack View Post
I wonder if the devteam can determine if this is a vulnerability that can be used to jailbreak the mini.
They already did find a way in, but wow! This is interesting!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Davirdv
macrumors member

When you back up (jailbroken or not) the backups include certain changes to system settings. When you put the weather widget on, it changed the settings and therefore it was backed up (the changes in settings, not the actual app/widget/tweek) The only way to get rid of it is to set up as new.
Davirdv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Chris Morgan
macrumors member

I actually had this too. When I setup my mini I restored from a backup of my unjailbroken ipad 3 running iOS 6 and ended up with the weather widget. Unfortunately I didn't get pics before I restored the mini as new to try and eliminate the wifi problems I'm having and now it's gone.
Chris Morgan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Xeyad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davirdv View Post
When you back up (jailbroken or not) the backups include certain changes to system settings. When you put the weather widget on, it changed the settings and therefore it was backed up (the changes in settings, not the actual app/widget/tweek) The only way to get rid of it is to set up as new.
This is a good explanation. I guess I'm going to leave it on for now.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Morgan View Post
I actually had this too. When I setup my mini I restored from a backup of my unjailbroken ipad 3 running iOS 6 and ended up with the weather widget. Unfortunately I didn't get pics before I restored the mini as new to try and eliminate the wifi problems I'm having and now it's gone.
unjailbroken? hmmm...I guess that could mean the weather widget may come to the iPad, and this just happens to be a bug. But a good one at that!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:39 PM   #9
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Didn't we have to pay for the weather and calculator app for the iPad 1 or iPod Touch? I wonder why we can't keep it or at least transfer those paid apps to the iPad mini and current iPads?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Fofer
macrumors 6502a

I had this too when I restored from a jailbroken iPad 3 to a stock iPad mini... and I kinda liked it!

The only annoying things were (A) no way to customize it and (B) I would often miss the "x" dismissal button on a notification below it, and inadvertently open a Yahoo! weather web page in Safari.

Anyway, with today's release of the "evasi0n" jailbreak, I updated to iOS 6.1 and ran the jailbreak on my iPad mini. Now I see the Weather widget is gone. And, I now have the Weather app on my springboard now (which works fine, albeit as an iPhone app, in 1x/2x mode) -- right next to Cydia.

So, is there any way to bring the weather back to my notification center? I'm guessing now that I'm jailbroken there will be a more straightforward way? (Or will I have to involve LockInfo or Intelliscreen X?)
Fofer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:46 PM   #11
TyPod
macrumors 68000

That is awesome! I would love my mini to have that haha
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad