Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Gerobellus
macrumors newbie

Mac Pro 1,1 case ground up build

Hello,
I have had some issues with my Mac Pro 1,1 . I took it to the local apple store and they said that its logic board and two risers for the ram need to replaced. To order the parts and have them replaced at the store is quite expensive. i know i can build my own system for less. What I am wondering is if it is possible to use the case and just build a whole new computer from scratch?
Thanks,
Gero
Gerobellus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:48 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

I guess.....

you can, provided you got the right internals and have also experience tinkering with computers/electronics.

But with current price of the Mac Pros, I almost suggest you to find another 1.1

Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:37 AM   #3
mkokimoto
macrumors newbie

It may be prudent to get parts and go for 3,1 instead.

in addition to the parts required, all you need is the plastic bit behind the fan - the memory rack. Or you can just run without it and hold it in place with blue tack. So long as you turn the fans up a bit the blue tack wont melt. I use blu tack in my computer to hold the SSD in place and it's fine.
mkokimoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4
666sheep
macrumors 68040

What issues did you have exactly? One faulty riser OK , happens, but both + logic board? Unbelievable.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
you can, provided you got the right internals and have also experience tinkering with computers/electronics.

But with current price of the Mac Pros, I almost suggest you to find another 1.1

I don't agree with this at all. These things don't last forever. Unless it's extremely cheap, buying a 6 year old machine isn't a great idea. If you already own the thing, you may as well use it. It's just that service costs make this impractical.

As for the OP, I'd suggest selling it as not working with the dead parts mentioned for whatever is offered, then buy a new machine. It's really not made to be a shell for generic parts. You might have to modify things considerably to even attempt this.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:46 PM   #6
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
You might have to modify things considerably to even attempt this.
That is guaranteed.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:55 PM   #7
d-m-a-x
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
That is guaranteed.
could be environment, or just bad luck. These machines last a long time. If you get a new logic board and risers, you should be good for a while. Weigh out the cost - i would either do that or get a later model
d-m-a-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:17 PM   #8
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-m-a-x View Post
could be environment, or just bad luck. These machines last a long time. If you get a new logic board and risers, you should be good for a while. Weigh out the cost - i would either do that or get a later model
Perhaps you didn't read the post that I was replying to. What does your reply have to do with replacing the internal components of the Mac Pro with components that are not from a Mac Pro 1,1 or possibly not even from a Mac?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:37 PM   #9
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
That is guaranteed.
I meant to the point of drilling. Generic PC cases are designed to accommodate a certain range of components. Even then they aren't 100% interchangeable, but it's easier. With any branded machine, you have to figure that some things may use custom sizes or connections. It's not really the same, which was my point. Custom designs don't require that generic functionality, so they don't design for it. Airflow would have to be considered too. It's a very large case. It will accommodate large fans, yet the height can also leave a certain amount of dead space in that regard.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:39 PM   #10
d-m-a-x
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't read the post that I was replying to. What does your reply have to do with replacing the internal components of the Mac Pro with components that are not from a Mac Pro 1,1 or possibly not even from a Mac?
absolutely nothing
d-m-a-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I meant to the point of drilling. Generic PC cases are designed to accommodate a certain range of components. Even then they aren't 100% interchangeable, but it's easier. With any branded machine, you have to figure that some things may use custom sizes or connections. It's not really the same, which was my point. Custom designs don't require that generic functionality, so they don't design for it. Airflow would have to be considered too. It's a very large case. It will accommodate large fans, yet the height can also leave a certain amount of dead space in that regard.
Um, I was agreeing with you. Not sure why you are trying to explain yourself since I agreed with you.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:05 PM   #12
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Um, I was agreeing with you. Not sure why you are trying to explain yourself since I agreed with you.
Bleh I always end up feeling the need to acknowledge responses and probably over-explained. I didn't mean we disagreed on it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro