Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1
kathryne_B
macrumors member

QuickTime Pro

Would someone be kind enough as to tell me if the QTP is for editing music also? I have a song I'd like to make a little shorter than it actually is. Can I use QTP for this purpose? Thank you for any insight and TIA
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:32 PM   #2
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

It probably would be more straightforward to use GarageBand than QuickTime Pro to edit an audio file. If you don't already have a QuickTime Pro key, it'll be cheaper too. What are you using this piece of music for? If you are just playing it back in iTunes, syncing to an iPod or an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad, why not just change the Start/Stop Time under Get Info->Options?
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3
wcdamsch
macrumors member

Why not just use Itunes? Right click, get info, options start time/stop time. You can take few seconds off the front or back. I use this to make ringtones from my music.
wcdamsch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:53 AM   #4
kathryne_B
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdamsch View Post
Why not just use Itunes? Right click, get info, options start time/stop time. You can take few seconds off the front or back. I use this to make ringtones from my music.
Thank you both for your responses. I have a song on one of the albums that I bought from iTunes. It's remix music of several upbeat songs to exercise by. I deleted one song and the one that's left has a small piece of the song I deleted still on there. I wanted to cut that piece out so it would have a nice segue into the other song. In other words kind of like splicing and putting them together. Thought I'd explain it, so that you could give me some insight as to how to do it. Thank you, it's appreciated.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
gumblecosby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryne_B View Post
Would someone be kind enough as to tell me if the QTP is for editing music also? I have a song I'd like to make a little shorter than it actually is. Can I use QTP for this purpose? Thank you for any insight and TIA
Quicktime pro allows you to do this. You can set the begin and end markers and then select "save as" . It takes 2 steps in total.
1. Save shortened song as .mov (.mov is the only file type option offered at this stage)
2. Export this new mov file as an audio file

----------

I would recommend Audacity though for trimming songs. Its designed for these type of use cases. Here's the official site link:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac
gumblecosby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:53 PM   #6
kathryne_B
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumblecosby View Post
Quicktime pro allows you to do this. You can set the begin and end markers and then select "save as" . It takes 2 steps in total.
1. Save shortened song as .mov (.mov is the only file type option offered at this stage)
2. Export this new mov file as an audio file

----------

I would recommend Audacity though for trimming songs. Its designed for these type of use cases. Here's the official site link:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac
Ok. Thanx, I thought so, that's why I was asking about OTP and doubted very much that Garageband could do this, but I don't know since I've never tried it. I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanx again . . . it's much appreciated!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdamsch View Post
Hi wcdamsch,
Can I like do this to the song I want to splice and then upload it into my iTunes library? I've never done this before and I'm just wondering if I can. Thanx for your suggestion!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:38 PM   #7
aross99
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryne_B View Post
Can I like do this to the song I want to splice and then upload it into my iTunes library? I've never done this before and I'm just wondering if I can. Thanx for your suggestion!
You do this right in iTunes, and when you sync the song to your other devices, it will only play the portion of the song you have indicated.
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:50 PM   #8
simsaladimbamba

As already mentioned, and I never knew this before today and just found out in this thread, you go to iTunes, select that song, right click on it, select Get Info and go to the Options tab. The rest should be clear from here on out.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:17 PM   #9
wcdamsch
macrumors member

I picked up this Itunes tip from the following website

http://www.simonblog.com/2010/09/06/...-on-itunes-10/

Works like a champ for making your own tones!
wcdamsch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:19 PM   #10
kathryne_B
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post
You do this right in iTunes, and when you sync the song to your other devices, it will only play the portion of the song you have indicated.
Thanx ever so much to all! I got it to work with your instructions, YAY!!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store