Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Renjo2007
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
AT&T iPad sim with Unlimited data to Verizon iPad Mini No Signal

I tried to insert my ATT nano sim with unlimited data into my Verizon Ipad mini but I cant get any signal or service. The ATT 4G signal will show for a few seconds then it will disappear and will show No service. My t-mobile nano sim works fine with Edge signal. Maybe Att is now blocking ipad minis from verizon. Anyone has same experience?
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2
kevroc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjo2007 View Post
I tried to insert my ATT nano sim with unlimited data into my Verizon Ipad mini but I cant get any signal or service. The ATT 4G signal will show for a few seconds then it will disappear and will show No service. My t-mobile nano sim works fine with Edge signal. Maybe Att is now blocking ipad minis from verizon. Anyone has same experience?
You need to update your APN settings.

Unlockit.co.nz
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Renjo2007
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
You need to update your APN settings.

Unlockit.co.nz
Tried it but still no signal
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
cutienoua
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I was reading somewhere about verizon update for carrier.try a restore without verizon update over the air
I have verizon model but only used verizon sim.
cutienoua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Renjo2007
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
You need to update your APN settings.

Unlockit.co.nz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutienoua View Post
I was reading somewhere about verizon update for carrier.try a restore without verizon update over the air
I have verizon model but only used verizon sim.
Do you have a link about this problem with verizon ipad mini?
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:22 AM   #6
kevroc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjo2007 View Post
Tried it but still no signal
Could it be a weak signal issue? I did the exact same thing and it worked fine. I selected the AT&T HSPA+ apn profile, which one did you select?
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Renjo2007
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
Could it be a weak signal issue? I did the exact same thing and it worked fine. I selected the AT&T HSPA+ apn profile, which one did you select?
Yeah hspa+ apn profile. I hope my mini is not defective.I have full bars of Att in my area so signal shouldnt be a problem.

Last edited by Renjo2007; Nov 20, 2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spell
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Renjo2007
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
It workin now. Only a glitch.
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:44 AM   #9
kevroc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjo2007 View Post
It workin now. Only a glitch.
That's great news. How is your speed? Unfortunately AT&T isn't that fast for me, about 1-2 Mbps. That's good for most things though.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Renjo2007
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
That's great news. How is your speed? Unfortunately AT&T isn't that fast for me, about 1-2 Mbps. That's good for most things though.
Im getting 2-6 mbps dl and 1mbps up.
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:19 PM   #11
sno1man
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjo2007 View Post
It workin now. Only a glitch.
Curious as to how you got yours working. I had the same issue and even after updating the APN it would not connect.

What's weird is that I stopped messing with it and then a day later is started working. The only thing I know for sure that happened in that period is that my son ran the battery completely down and when I plugged it in, it restarted
sno1man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Why wouldn't you guys want an AT&T iPad to take advantage of the speed? I understand its no available everywhere but in 1 year AT&T should have most the US major cities covered.
__________________
"If it came easy, you're not dreaming big enough."
WWW.ALVINNGUYEN.COM
AlvinNguyen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:57 PM   #13
kevroc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjo2007 View Post
Im getting 2-6 mbps dl and 1mbps up.
Wow, that's very respectable, plenty fast enough for almost anything.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:00 PM   #14
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinNguyen View Post
Why wouldn't you guys want an AT&T iPad to take advantage of the speed? I understand its no available everywhere but in 1 year AT&T should have most the US major cities covered.
Who promised you that?
And next year i will have ipad mini ii
AttilaTheHun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:02 PM   #15
kevroc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinNguyen View Post
Why wouldn't you guys want an AT&T iPad to take advantage of the speed? I understand its no available everywhere but in 1 year AT&T should have most the US major cities covered.
I wanted the ability to Tether and with Verizons Data Plans they include mobile hotspot. AT&T only includes it if you are on the $50 plan. I also wanted to try the Tmobile prepaid plans, they have a $35 / 3.5GB / 60 Day plan that looks like it would be great once their 1900 rollout is done. Testing tmobile where they do have 1900 coverage is very fast.

So basically with Verizon I get to choose between multiple carriers; Verizon if I need Fast LTE with tethering, AT&T if I want to use my own iPad sim or iPhone sim (if I'm being really cheap about it or TMobile.

Also, since I already have an AT&T iPhone and iPad sim, I thought it would be good to get Verizon for some additional coverage.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:27 PM   #16
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun View Post
Who promised you that?
And next year i will have ipad mini ii
I'm only asking because the OP has AT&T Unlimited data plan which works on LTE as well for unlimited usage - read much?

Thread Title:
AT&T iPad sim with Unlimited data to Verizon iPad Mini No Signal

If you have Unlimited through AT&T shouldn't you be using an AT&T iPad - That's what I'm asking

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
I wanted the ability to Tether and with Verizons Data Plans they include mobile hotspot. AT&T only includes it if you are on the $50 plan. I also wanted to try the Tmobile prepaid plans, they have a $35 / 3.5GB / 60 Day plan that looks like it would be great once their 1900 rollout is done. Testing tmobile where they do have 1900 coverage is very fast.

So basically with Verizon I get to choose between multiple carriers; Verizon if I need Fast LTE with tethering, AT&T if I want to use my own iPad sim or iPhone sim (if I'm being really cheap about it or TMobile.

Also, since I already have an AT&T iPhone and iPad sim, I thought it would be good to get Verizon for some additional coverage.
I agree with you on having mismatching carriers for max coverage but I was referring to the OP who wants to use his AT&T Sim card on a Verizon iPad - which makes no sense as AT&T and verizon uses different frequencies so he'll be missing out on LTE (whenever available).

I have both LTE Verizon iPhone 5 and LTE AT&T iPad - max coverage ftw
__________________
"If it came easy, you're not dreaming big enough."
WWW.ALVINNGUYEN.COM
AlvinNguyen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Lucyhampton
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I have a AT&T iPhone 5 grandfathered unlimited data. I just got my mini ipad yesterday AT&T and I tried to put the sim of my iphone but would not work. Please help.

----------

I was wondering if I need to activate the ipad mini sim that came with the unit then do the swap?
Lucyhampton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:13 PM   #18
shenan1982
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun View Post
Who promised you that?
And next year i will have ipad mini ii
Here in San Francisco (and most of the Bay Area) seeing 20-40 mbps... even faster than my cable modem. LOVE having the iPad on my Mobile Share plan, for ten bucks a month it blows away tethering. I have native GPS, don't have to worry about draining the iPhone 5 battery nor dealing with tethering on and off, and it costs me the price of two cups of coffee (at SBUX) per month.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:13 AM   #19
Renjo2007
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinNguyen View Post
I'm only asking because the OP has AT&T Unlimited data plan which works on LTE as well for unlimited usage - read much?

Thread Title:
AT&T iPad sim with Unlimited data to Verizon iPad Mini No Signal

If you have Unlimited through AT&T shouldn't you be using an AT&T iPad - That's what I'm asking

----------



I agree with you on having mismatching carriers for max coverage but I was referring to the OP who wants to use his AT&T Sim card on a Verizon iPad - which makes no sense as AT&T and verizon uses different frequencies so he'll be missing out on LTE (whenever available).

I have both LTE Verizon iPhone 5 and LTE AT&T iPad - max coverage ftw
Im just testing my att sim and will only use it occasionally on my vzw ipad mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucyhampton View Post
I have a AT&T iPhone 5 grandfathered unlimited data. I just got my mini ipad yesterday AT&T and I tried to put the sim of my iphone but would not work. Please help.

----------

I was wondering if I need to activate the ipad mini sim that came with the unit then do the swap?
On your safari ipad mini, go to unlockit.co.nz and install at&t hspa+ profile. Thats it. You will get att 4g signal after that.

Last edited by Renjo2007; Nov 21, 2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Edit
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:59 AM   #20
bcaslis
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
Here in San Francisco (and most of the Bay Area) seeing 20-40 mbps... even faster than my cable modem. LOVE having the iPad on my Mobile Share plan, for ten bucks a month it blows away tethering. I have native GPS, don't have to worry about draining the iPhone 5 battery nor dealing with tethering on and off, and it costs me the price of two cups of coffee (at SBUX) per month.
Is that speed on Verizon or AT&T?
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 3.0GHz i7 8GB/512GB , iPad mini Verizon LTE 64GB, Mac mini server, iMac 24", iPhone 5s 64GB
bcaslis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Lucyhampton
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjo2007 View Post
Im just testing my att sim and will only use it occasionally on my vzw ipad mini.

----------



On your safari ipad mini, go to unlockit.co.nz and install at&t hspa+ profile. Thats it. You will get att 4g signal after that.
My iPhone 5 SIM card now works with my ipad mini. However, when LTE is turned on in the settings of the ipad mini, the data connection is lost overall. When LTE is turned off, it re-connects to 4G only. I am guessing that the APN setting choice on the unlockit.co.nz for AT&T-hspa+ is not yet updated to read LTE signal. Btw, i was on an LTE spot when i did this. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Lucyhampton; Nov 21, 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
Lucyhampton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:36 PM   #22
Renjo2007
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Thats normal. Using an att sim on a verizon mini will only give you 4G signal because the vzw mini has different LTE frequency with regards to att LTE.
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:09 PM   #23
Lucyhampton
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
But I'm using an AT&T iPhone sim that goes to my AT&T ipad mini. Having said that, the sim shows lte on the iPhone but when moved to AT&T ipad mini Lte would not show, only 4G. In other words, both my iphone & ipad mini are AT&T. I do not have verizon equipment. That is why I am thinkng that the APN choice on unlockit.co.nz for AT&T +hspa is not updated to include LTE. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Lucyhampton; Nov 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Grammar
Lucyhampton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:52 PM   #24
shenan1982
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
is that speed on verizon or at&t?
at&t
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:29 AM   #25
Renjo2007
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucyhampton View Post
But I'm using an AT&T iPhone sim that goes to my AT&T ipad mini. Having said that, the sim shows lte on the iPhone but when moved to AT&T ipad mini Lte would not show, only 4G. In other words, both my iphone & ipad mini are AT&T. I do not have verizon equipment. That is why I am thinkng that the APN choice on unlockit.co.nz for AT&T +hspa is not updated to include LTE. What go you guys think?
I think so. Maybe att lte has different apn.
Renjo2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Using iPhone 5 unlimited data SIM in iPad mini pooleman iPad 20 Jun 23, 2014 04:07 PM
Carrier: Verizon iPhone unlimited data sim into iPad Air? NovemberWhiskey iPad 24 Jun 8, 2014 11:51 PM
Carrier: Using Verizon iPhone LTE SIM unlimited data on iPad Air mso4 iPad 3 Nov 4, 2013 06:47 PM
All iPads: AT&T Unlimited Data Plan Owners with iPad 3 & Mini - SIM Swap? sdsvtdriver iPad 29 Mar 27, 2013 11:46 PM
iPad: Verizon unlimited data with ipad & ios6 jdavy iOS 6 1 Sep 23, 2012 11:06 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC