Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
What movies do you make a point to watch every year around the holidays? I love The Muppet Christmas Carol and Albert Finny's Scrooge, and for some reason, Anastasia makes it on the December list.

Share with us some of your favorite holiday movies.

Last edited:

Techgoddess

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
PA
omg well i have tons!
i really like christmas vacation with chevy chase
i like A christmas story
i really like elf.
I like alot of others but those are my top!
I am a big fan of christmas.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :)

spykthomas

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Gremlins
Muppets Christmas Carol
The Holiday (I blame my wife for this one)

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Love Actually. I like the scene where Mr. Bean wraps up the package for uber-terrorist Hans Gruber of Die Hard fame (aka Alan Rickman).

Oh, but this is so much more than a bag. :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Polar Express
Elf
A Christmas Story
Miracle on 34th St.
Die Hard
A Nightmare Before Christmas
And anything with the Island of Misfit toys.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Harry Potter. I don't know why but winter comes along and I want to see all the Harry Potter films, chronologically.

More predictably:
Home Alone
A Christmas Story
...."Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!" This is definitely my favourite. I had to order the DVD after moving to the UK because it does not have the recognition it deserves here.

Least favourite christmas movie:
"It's a Wonderful Life". What a load of sappy, predictable crap.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
For Thanksgiving, it's Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

For Christmas, it can't get any better than National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Those two are my favorites.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
"How the Grinch stole Christmas" it was on two nights ago. A little early this year I suppose.

These are also my favorites:

The Original Christmas Classics (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer / Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town / Frosty the Snowman / Frosty Returns / Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol / Little Drummer Boy / Cricket on the Hearth) (2007)

and of course "Dinner for one".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Harry Potter. I don't know why but winter comes along and I want to see all the Harry Potter films, chronologically.

More predictably:
Home Alone
A Christmas Story
...."Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!" This is definitely my favourite. I had to order the DVD after moving to the UK because it does not have the recognition it deserves here.

Least favourite christmas movie:
"It's a Wonderful Life". What a load of sappy, predictable crap.

I'm with you on Harry Potter, I love watching the movies over Christmas, and would cheerfully watch them (or read the books) in sequence.

Must admit that Home Alone never did it for me but I used to like Willy Wonka (the version with Gene Wilder) and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (which I loved as a child) back in the day......

I also rather liked The Neverending Story....the book was wonderful ad the movie adaptation was charming.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A Charlie Brown Christmas is another modern classic.

charlie-brown-christmas-tree1.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.