Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Mainly purchased to be used as a stay at home mobile hotspot to use with Desktop and future Notebook but read a lot of stories about WiFi problems it has and how it can be a luck of the draw if you get one with or without the problem, and or that the problem could come in the future.

I am thinking if I don't even bother opening it and just take it right to my AT&T store to cancel this additional line of service and not inqur any fees. I know once I open it and decide I don't want it or find that it does have WiFi issues it will then be too late for me to not pay the $36.00 re-stocking fee being the equipment was opened.

Any input on what I should do? it's says it will be delivered tomorrow 11/20/2012.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated till the time being.

Jayohwhy

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
You could get quite a few other mobile devices for cheaper that act as a mobile hotspot. It seems like you used that reason to get the 5 and now you are rethinking it.

Return it

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
That is exactly the reason. And also because it was gonna be my first time ever having to see and know what ANY smart-phone is like. Also was gonna be my first time getting to see what a retina display is like as well.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Well it came and after giving it a shot and opening it I had immediately taken notice that the milling work on it was not so nice with a real small nick on the back and scratch at the top on the silver ring area of the phone. Because it was my first time having a smartphone in my hands I figured being I am already gonna be forced with a re-stocking fee that I might as well mess with it for the time being which I did. Honestly it's much of a small hand-held computer is the way I would describe it, only unlike a real full-blown computer its a bit more intuitive. Well being I am done messing with it its going to get returned tomorrow. I guess it was nice while it lasted and maybe something I would have kept if it hadn't been faulty with the marks that was on it. Oh well. :rolleyes:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Its cheapest to buy a tablet and use that as a hotspot. Most share plans now only charge $10 for a tablet.

I suggest that you sell the phone on ebay or craigslist. It seems to fetch about $650-700 opened on ebay with no problem.

Buy an ipad mini with 4G for $460.

Move the ipad into the phone's line and get the monthly reduced to $10.

You make about $200 profit in the end and that will cover just about the entire two year contract.

There are cheaper 4G tablets than the Mini too. But I'm an Appler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.