Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Hi guys

I'm trying to decide between an Asus 21,5" or 23" IPS monitor. But also thought of the missing integrated speakers in the two monitors. I know the Mini got speakers, but I got a older '09 (maybe '08) model and might not be same quality as the newer speakers. So, should I just use the Mini's speakers and get one of the monitors, or focus on getting one with speakers?

Btw; My desk isn't big enough for external speakers so that's not an option.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
My Mini 2011 has better speakers than my Eizo and Acer monitors with built in ones. Its pretty amazing what Apple managed to squeeze inside the box. Guess the aluminium enclosure is way more sturdy than monitor plastic, so way less vibration of the housing.
I think the built in one is great for a Youtube clip, having radio in the background at a working-modest level etc.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah okay. I'll be using my monitor with Mini in my bedroom for surfing, writing and watching Netflix/movies/YouTube and whatnot in bed. So I'll pretty much have to use the included speakers when watching movies at night. But if a monitor build-in speaker will be the same as Mini then no point going for that.

Also; should I get a 21.5 or 23 inch? The difference is about 50$. The same resolution and all.

nnynas

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
you might also want to check the 27" lineup, which isn't much more expensive.

EDIT: just because you mentioned watching it maybe further away

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
you might also want to check the 27" lineup, which isn't much more expensive.

EDIT: just because you mentioned watching it maybe further away

Yeah, but 27" really isn't an option. Haven't got the space or the budget. Even 23" will be pushing it... So can't go higher than the price of a 23"...

frankly my bedroom is quite small, so don't think i need a 27" - although it would be nice :D

nnynas

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I guess you just answered the question yourself, go with the 21" :)

unless the 23" model offers something else you really need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.