Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyt76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
If you hold the option key when you turn on your laptop, how many disks do you see?

I removed my 128GB SSD and installed a 256GB out of a 15" rMBP. I used internet recovery to restore a time machine backup. Now when I hold the option key on startup, I only see Macintosh HD, not the recovery partition.

Does anyone know an easy way to restore the recovery partition?

Thanks

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Do you have a flash USB stick with OS X 10.8.2 available? One way to recreate a recovery partition would be to perform a clean installation of OS X on the new drive (which will create a recovery partition during the process) and then restoring your system via Time Machine after wiping the OS X partition. There are other ways that I remember reading about but they were kinda complicated.

tonyt76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I have a bootable 10.8 usb drive, but when i try to boot from it I get a grey circle with a line through it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Restoring a straight time machine backup using internet recovery doesn't recreate the recovery partition as far as I know. You can tell by running diskutil list in terminal.

The only way to do that would be to do a clean install using internet recovery, and THEN doing a time machine backup.

And your 10.8 USB wont boot since the 13" rMBP will only boot off of its own custom build right now (until 10.8.3 is out anyway).

Alternatively, you can put your old ssd in, make an image of the recovery console (dd) and then restore that image to a small partition you create on the new drive. It's a lot of faffing though.

tonyt76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
BMA,

So if I use internet recovery to reinstall 10.8, after it is done I would boot up holding option and boot the recovery partition? Then I would restore the time machine backup and it should retain the recovery partition?

Thanks

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
BMA,

So if I use internet recovery to reinstall 10.8, after it is done I would boot up holding option and boot the recovery partition? Then I would restore the time machine backup and it should retain the recovery partition?

Thanks

Can you even perform an internet recovery without the recovery partition to boot from? Not sure about that one.

Yes. I'd forgotten that you can't boot off 10.8.2 since it doesn't support the 13" rMBP. After clean installing, press ALT upon startup and select the recovery partition. Then go into disk utility, erase the original installation, and then restore from your Time Machine backup to the OS X partition. This will leave the Recovery Partition intact. Unfortunately, a clean installation via the web will take much longer than from a flash drive.

You can always wait until 10.8.3 has been released and create the recovery partition with the help of a flash drive. In fact, you don't even need a Recovery partition if you prefer to save space so long as a bootable flash drive is available.

Last edited:

tonyt76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Can you even perform an internet recovery without the recovery partition to boot from?

Yes. The internet recovery is built in to the firmware of your mac, it is not a physical partition. You can access it by pressing Command+Option+R on startup.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.