Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:29 AM   #1
G0meZ
macrumors regular

carbon copy cloner: doing full instead of incr. bkup each time?

it seems to me that my ccc bkup is doing a full backup instead of incremental each time. eg. it copies all my apps every time.
i've tried with two ext fw800 hdd, bkup up my 500gb internal drive... it keeps taking some 1.5-2hrs each time, day... what could that be? log file says nothing...

(latest ccc version on osx.7.5 on mbp8.1)
G0meZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Thessman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0meZ View Post
it seems to me that my ccc bkup is doing a full backup instead of incremental each time. eg. it copies all my apps every time.
i've tried with two ext fw800 hdd, bkup up my 500gb internal drive... it keeps taking some 1.5-2hrs each time, day... what could that be? log file says nothing...

(latest ccc version on osx.7.5 on mbp8.1)
Just delete and rebuild the task...
Thessman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:28 AM   #3
G0meZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessman View Post
Just delete and rebuild the task...
nah, done that
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:49 AM   #4
G0meZ
macrumors regular

just checking the last log entry:
after all, it seems to not do a full bkup: 18.8gb took 02:41hrs...but that can't be right on fw800, no?
also, 18gb is way to much for an incremental bkup as far as i can tell...largest file copied is 17.2gb according to log...must be the frikking windows instance i suspect...maybe just exclude that volume then?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:59 AM   #5
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0meZ View Post
just checking the last log entry:
after all, it seems to not do a full bkup: 18.8gb took 02:41hrs...but that can't be right on fw800, no?
also, 18gb is way to much for an incremental bkup as far as i can tell...largest file copied is 17.2gb according to log...must be the frikking windows instance i suspect...maybe just exclude that volume then?
Yeah it can't track individual files in the virtual machine. Instead all CCC knows is that the VM has changed and needs to be completely backed up. If your boot drive and VM are on the same drive and your VM is running this can make the backup very slow.

This is also a problem that occurs with large database files such as an Outlook PST.

I would also set up a backup to run from your VM to another drive for any files you want to protect in Windows.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:39 AM   #6
G0meZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
Yeah it can't track individual files in the virtual machine. Instead all CCC knows is that the VM has changed and needs to be completely backed up. If your boot drive and VM are on the same drive and your VM is running this can make the backup very slow.
i know, never have that monster running unless i absolutely have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
I would also set up a backup to run from your VM to another drive for any files you want to protect in Windows.
no need for that. have taken the win-dir out of the ccc list...
but still, something's funny...ran a full ccc clone, took >2hrs (~350gb), rerunning same clone takes now already 1:44, comparing files forever and still copying ~600mb now
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:05 AM   #7
bombich
macrumors newbie

Drop us a line over at help.bombich.com (use the "Ask a question" menu item from CCC's Help menu). It sounds like there could be either an issue with communication to the destination disk, or perhaps some sort of competition for bandwidth.

Mike
bombich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:34 AM   #8
G0meZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombich View Post
Drop us a line over at help.bombich.com (use the "Ask a question" menu item from CCC's Help menu). It sounds like there could be either an issue with communication to the destination disk, or perhaps some sort of competition for bandwidth.

Mike
thank you mike, i'll do that

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store