Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
retina touch 299
mini 329
retina ipad 499

for what it's worth... i think the mini is priced agressively for 329 compared to other apple devices. it could've been 399 based on the format. should've apple priced it at 299? yes; and touch to be priced at 279 or so. but then an interesting theory i read here that the mini is priced now as if it has retina. so that means should a retina mini arrives next year, they can keep it at 329.

the problem is competition, android and amazon tried to undercut the pricing and create a new pricing norm for these tablets. the reason: undercut quality and specs. That's how they sell their stuff for cheap. Dumb people will never realize that you get what you paid for. if you want a cheaper device, then by all means settle for less people. :rolleyes:

bottom line is: either way, you pay to play.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Balla" gonna ball! I wouldnt buy an ipod touch!

touch WAS the perfect alternative for people who can't afford the iPad. now that 7" tablets were made, android and kindle aggresively took advantage of it. might i say was a brilliant move. apple failed to recognize this at first but now they're doing damage control.

Better late than never.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
touch WAS the perfect alternative for people who can't afford the iPad. now that 7" tablets were made, android and kindle aggresively took advantage of it. might i say was a brilliant move. apple failed to recognize this at first but now they're doing damage control.

Better late than never.

No the ipod touch was the perfect alternative for the people that did not have an iphone back in the days and were using a blackberry from work!

Now it is just an alternative for kids that are too young to have an iphone yet too small to carry a big ipad!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its only over priced if you're not willing to pay for it ;)

I'm not willing to spend $$ on the iPod touch given its price point so in my opinion it is over priced but others who want the small form factor and not the mini are willing so its not for them

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
agreed

iPhone= iphone, BEAST
iPod touch= wanna be iPhone
iPad= larger iPod touch

now the gap between touch and iPad is so big, 7" fills it perfectly. one advantage competitors have against apple is that they don't have the 4" touch versions of their tablets so they can have a lower starting point with their 7 inches.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I will answear how it should :) they are not overpriced because sadly if you want a ipod touch or a ipad you can only buy it from apple (iOS).

Last edited:

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
agreed

iPhone= iphone, BEAST
iPod touch= wanna be iPhone
iPad= larger iPod touch

now the gap between touch and iPad is so big, 7" fills it perfectly. one advantage competitors have against apple is that they don't have the 4" touch versions of their tablets so they can have a lower starting point with their 7 inches.

Umm, you know they way they have lower prices is by having no profit margin right? As in, no profit at ALL from the hardware? Google basically push the Nexus line as developer machines and to encourage their partners to build better kit. Amazon have decided to make money via content sales and break even on the hardware.

When you look at equivalent manufacturers to Apple such as Samsung their prices are MUCH closer. The Galaxy Tab 7" with 16Gb for instance lists at £250 compared to the £270 for the iPad Mini. Frankly I'm not entirely comfortable with the Google / Amazon model, seems like an unsustainable way of gaining marketshare and while lower prices are usually good for the consumer I'd rather pay a little more for the product and not feel like I'M the product those companies are selling. Personal preference only of course.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
lulz @ kindle fire losing money with every sale cuz they're selling it less for what its worth.

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
The iPod Touch is way to expensive and I think they're not going to sell many of those. There was a time when the iPT was priced at $199 for 8GB (3. gen.). I think that $200 is the limit for the Touch to be really sellable; now you only get the old generation for that price. The price difference to the iPad Mini is only $30 in the US, over here in Europe it's even just 10€!! It definitly is beautyful, but I think most people nowadays have a smartphone anyway, and no matter whether it's an iPhone or Android they can do most of what the Touch can do. Many people (including me) also are happy if they can utilize a device for many different tasks, not have an extra pricey mp3-player with the same size as my phone. So the Touch has no real purpose for most people, instead the iPad Mini is a real tablet for only marginally more money.

Last edited:

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
The iPod Touch is way to expensive and I think they're not going to sell many of those. There was a time when the iPT was priced at $199 for 8GB (3. gen.). I think that $200 is the limit for the Touch to be really sellable; now you only get the old generation for that price. The price difference to the iPad Mini is only $30 in the US, over here in Europe it's even just 10€!! It definitly is beautyful, but I think most people nowadays have a smartphone anyway, and no matter whether it's an iPhone or Android they can do most of what the Touch can do. Many people (including me) also are happy if they can utilize a device for many different tasks, not have an extra pricey mp3-player with the same size as my phone. So the Touch has no real purpose for most people, instead the iPad Mini is a real tablet for only marginally more money.

I'm trying to understand the target market for the iPT. It used to be a $199 gateway to get people pulled into the Apple ecosystem often used as a gift for kids/tweens.

But a lot of those kids are getting 'free on contract/$99 iPhones' or hand me iPhones downs at a younger and younger age. And many are interested in the Mini as opposed to the iPT..and since the price is fairly close, parents will likely consider it an option.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Had the iPod touch 5 for a week and after I saw and managed to get the Mini, I returned it.

One can go back and forth with the price of each. To me both may be higher than I'd like BUT for $30 more, the Mini is the better deal bang for buck.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You're right, but I think for many (not all) people the storage capacity is not the prime decisive factor when talking about these two devices.

That may very well be ture, all I'm saying is that it's misleading to say the Touch is overpriced because the Mini is only $30 more when you don't mention that the Touch includes $100 more storage.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You're right, but I think for many (not all) people the storage capacity is not the prime decisive factor when talking about these two devices.

For me the extra $30 was worth it for me to get the Mini instead regardless that it is only 16gb. Never say never I suppose about space and running out but I have android tablets with 16gb and that works for me.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Your numbers are misleading.

The Touch is $299 for the 32GB, and the 32Gb Mini is $429, not $329.

NO it's not misleading, i'm talking about price points.

retina touch 32gb is 299
ipad mini 16gb is 329
retina ipad 16gb is 499

so you really think that 16gb extra for the touch is misleading? :rolleyes:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I knew going in that the mini would be overpriced, that's just the way Apple is. But that said, I must admit I didn't think they would price it as high as they did. Only Apple could get away with it. The devotees will defend any move Apple makes, it's the company that can do no wrong in their eyes.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
NO it's not misleading, i'm talking about price points.

retina touch 32gb is 299
ipad mini 16gb is 329
retina ipad 16gb is 499

so you really think that 16gb extra for the touch is misleading? :rolleyes:

It's misleading because it doesn't take into account that the Touch, for $30 less, comes with $100 of extra storage. It makes it sound like the only difference is the physical size of the device. Only listing pricepoints doesn't account for differences in hardware that might account for those price differences.

We'll put it this way, a 16GB Touch would be overpriced at $299, when compared to a $329 16GB Mini, but a 32GB Touch is not overpriced when compared to a 16GB Mini.

Two similarly misleading comparisons:

The iPhone 5 overpriced because you can get a 4S for $100 less.

The regular 15" MBP is overpriced when you can get the 13" rMPB for around $200 less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.