Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:08 AM   #101
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Here looks pretty good to me so far in Phoenix.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:09 AM   #102
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
It's slow, it's ugly, I found gettign directions slightly less smooth an intuitive than in Apple or Google's maps, but it definitely has better POI data than Apple's (despite the corrections I've submitted to Apple) and knows about walking routes that Apple and even Google don't have quite right (although when I asked for walking directions in had some very strange suggestions!).

Again though, loss of Facetime is still a big miss
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:12 AM   #103
Jeans89
macrumors regular

Nokia Maps are slightly better than Apple Maps, but worse than Google Maps. So hurry up Google!
Jeans89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:18 AM   #104
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeans89 View Post
Nokia Maps are slightly better than Apple Maps, but worse than Google Maps. So hurry up Google!
Which Nokia Maps are you looking at? Its TERRIBLE

Also if Nokia can get a maps app approved this easily with Apple then there is no reason why Google cant. Personally I reckon Google were putting on a bit of a show just to fuel the flames when Apple maps first launched.

So Google where's Google maps? Oh and if you manage to get it together any chance of a few extra pixels top and bottom so that it actually fills our screen unlike Google Earth? Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:24 AM   #105
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
You're not alone, I've been a very loyal Apple customer since 1991. I am simply shocked at the stupid decision Apple has made. Shocked, but not surprised.

If there's one thing this proves (again), is that Apple thinks so highly of themselves, they honestly believe they can do anything and everything better than any other company on the planet.

The _World_ uses Google Maps... why reinvent the wheel?

What a total waste of time & resources. All in the name of vanity & ego.
Apple wanted turn by turn directions and Google wouldn't give it to them (exclusive to Android). Apple had to release a map app to compete.

----------

Quote:
Based on the comments I have read, it seems like people in the US are generally happy with Apple maps while people outside of the US (especially the UK) dislike Apple maps.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:25 AM   #106
Xano
macrumors member

I like it.
Functional and precise, better and detailed map of the area I live in than Maps.

If Nokia launches a good and reliable map, I cant wait to see the one from Google.

Maps from Apple are a joke!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:25 AM   #107
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Apple wanted turn by turn directions and Google wouldn't give it to them (exclusive to Android). Apple had to release a map app to compete.
I notice that ixodes quoted one of the very few negative apple maps posts in this article. Always the Debbie Downer lol
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:28 AM   #108
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

I'm not saying it looks good (it does look quite poor).

But at the end of the day, it doesn't have glaring omissions and errors like Apple Maps.

They have the road next to mine that was built in 2003.

They don't have a road running through a supermarket that was built in 1999.

They don't think that a carpet shop is a University.

Apple Maps are much higher resolution, but that's no use if it's just wrong!
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:36 AM   #109
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
But at the end of the day, it doesn't have glaring omissions and errors like Apple Maps.
Again, another UK user of Apple maps. Apple maps generally works pretty well in the US. If I was in the UK, I would use an alternative till they finally fix up the UK mapping database.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:43 AM   #110
Jeans89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
Which Nokia Maps are you looking at? Its TERRIBLE

Also if Nokia can get a maps app approved this easily with Apple then there is no reason why Google cant. Personally I reckon Google were putting on a bit of a show just to fuel the flames when Apple maps first launched.

So Google where's Google maps? Oh and if you manage to get it together any chance of a few extra pixels top and bottom so that it actually fills our screen unlike Google Earth? Thanks.
I looked this Here app which can be downloaded to iPhone. At least here in Helsinki Nokia Maps are much more detailed and correct than Apple Maps. But the app itself has been done poorly.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:44 AM   #111
Htetpye
macrumors newbie

No turn by turn, FAIL!!! How could anyone say alternative to iOS map.
Htetpye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:44 AM   #112
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Apple wanted turn by turn directions and Google wouldn't give it to them (exclusive to Android).
Well that's only half the story, no? Google was willing to provide turn by turn directions under certain conditions which Apple refused. Google wanted to include their Latitude feature on Maps and the rather unobtrusive Google branding. But Apple didn't agree to the terms and so decided to create their own maps.

As far as the Nokia Map's goes, it's not a native app but a wrapper for an HTML5 app. That of course comes with all the performance and quality issues that implies. Nokia launched their maps fast but it is apparently just a half assed solution.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:45 AM   #113
Htetpye
macrumors newbie

Quote:
No turn by turn, how could it be better than apple map
Htetpye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #114
varera
macrumors member

worst map ever

completely useless if not in USA
varera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:48 AM   #115
Jeans89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htetpye View Post
No turn by turn, how could it be better than apple map
The data is more correct. Turn by turn is useless if it guides you to wrong place.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 AM   #116
rak007
macrumors 6502a

Google....your turn now.
rak007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 AM   #117
Nungster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Have you used it yet? I was excited to get it, tried it on my way to work. WTF there is no turn by turn! In walking mode only? Hello! we drive!

The map level detail was as good as the Apple product, but it was slower.

I haven't tried it enough to say it is more accurate with searches. So far it misses a search for International Plaza in Tampa FL; which is a high end retail mall with a Neimann Marcus, Tiffany's, Apple, LV, Nordstroms and more!

If Apple released this, they'd have gotten flamed even more. By that I mean, Apple got flamed, everyone said the other guys product was better, and here it is, and now we put it through the same paces and realize that the competitor was not as good as Google either.
Nungster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:53 AM   #118
Htetpye
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The data is more correct. Turn by turn is useless if it guides you to wrong place.
I have no problem using apple map at all, may be because I live in Los Angeles. Apple map is so good for me
Htetpye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #119
Jeans89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
As far as the Nokia Map's goes, it's not a native app but a wrapper for an HTML5 app. That of course comes with all the performance and quality issues that implies. Nokia launched their maps fast but it is apparently just a half assed solution.
This is clearly a mistake from Nokia. They should have done an excellent app or done nothing. Lousy app is bad for their reputation.
Jeans89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 AM   #120
Nungster
macrumors regular

Quote:
I looked this Here app which can be downloaded to iPhone. At least here in Helsinki Nokia Maps are much more detailed and correct than Apple Maps. But the app itself has been done poorly.
hahahaah - Population of 5.4 million area=338km sq Population of USA=312 million over an area of 9,827,000km sq

I think it to be much harder to cover the needs of 6000% more people and 29000 times more square area to cover.

Put it in perspective and you'll see why NOK is only a $3 stock and AAPL is $560+
Nungster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:58 AM   #121
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Bleh, tried it out and it's definitely not the Maps replacement some of us are looking for. Hopefully Google brings out an app soon.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:59 AM   #122
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Turn by turn via voice is only for walking? The voice doesn't speak in the background? You can only save one map at a time?

Seriously?
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #123
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This is clearly a mistake from Nokia. They should have done an excellent app or done nothing. Lousy app is bad for their reputation.
Definitely a mistake. They probably assumed that because so many people are disappointed with Apple maps, that they would embrace any other alternative that came out. So Nokia took the lazy/easy way and compiled an HTML5 app for iOS to launch fast thinking that everyone would just fall over it.

Im glad Google is taking their time with their app. They have all the data and features down, what they need to produce is a very solid app that is smooth and easy to use. If apps like Google+ and Google Voice Search for iOS are any indication, Google Maps for iOS will be terrific.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #124
Jeans89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nungster View Post
Have you used it yet? I was excited to get it, tried it on my way to work. WTF there is no turn by turn! In walking mode only? Hello! we drive!

The map level detail was as good as the Apple product, but it was slower.

I haven't tried it enough to say it is more accurate with searches. So far it misses a search for International Plaza in Tampa FL; which is a high end retail mall with a Neimann Marcus, Tiffany's, Apple, LV, Nordstroms and more!

If Apple released this, they'd have gotten flamed even more. By that I mean, Apple got flamed, everyone said the other guys product was better, and here it is, and now we put it through the same paces and realize that the competitor was not as good as Google either.
I have used it. It was clearly said that it has no turn by turn. So that did not surprise me. Keep in mind that this is free app and it does not try to be a full mapping & navigation solution. But it helps people in places where Apple Maps simply don't have reliable data. I hope that Nokia would have done better job, but anyhow this is for me better than nothing. But for Nokia this is bad marketing.

Last edited by Jeans89; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:06 PM   #125
aramelus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
This is hillarious!:

Google earth (still not IP5 optimised tut tut):

Apple maps:

Nokia maps:

As usual anything Apple related gets ridiculous levels of scrutiny, this Nokia Maps app however will fade in the minds of everyone before tomorrow with a whimper and a fart.
Except for the Satellite image Nokia Maps is clearly better in your example, all the small Streets are missing in Google and Apple Maps
aramelus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion