Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I have been reading of some horror stories about how Ebay only protects the buyers. Lots of scams out there.
Thinking about selling my 17" I7 AG laptop for the new Retina.
I have Apple care till June on it so I thought now maybe a good time to get the most money for it.
What concerns me is that the new Laptops dont have an Optical drive built in and also the with the Hi Res display do you have to kick up the Mag. to read websites etc.? I am getting older and on my 17" I normally hit the + button once to increase the page views.
Is it a better deal to just get the 256 gig SSD and upgrade later yourself cheaper than dishing out the $500 extra for the 500 gig drive?
I like my 17" but I probably could do fine with a 15..
Any thoughts?

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
...horror stories about how Ebay only protects the buyers. Lots of scams out there.

All true. Ebay + paypal is the biggest evil. It was great years ago, but
now I wouldn't risk selling anything on ebay.
It's pretty much guaranteed you'll get scammed and ebay will protect
the scammer, not you....

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
All true. Ebay + paypal is the biggest evil. It was great years ago, but
now I wouldn't risk selling anything on ebay.
It's pretty much guaranteed you'll get scammed and ebay will protect
the scammer, not you....

How else do you sell the laptop? I am afraid of Craigs list too.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

If you have experience with ebay and paypal you really shouldnt have much to worry about. Most people get scammed because they do not use common sense.

Only sell locally through craigslist. When you meet up with them, bring a friend and meet in a busy place.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have sold lots on ebay and only been scammed once. I was naive back then and didnt send the item with insured post.

Anyway since then I have sold two macbooks, I have been tempted to sell my macbook pro a couple of times to upgrade but it's still worth about £1000 and selling something worth that amount just makes me nervous.

The macbooks I sold were for £400ish, but selling something for more than double that just makes me feel uneasy.

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
I sold a 2008 MBP on eBay few months ago and the buyer tried to scam me but eBay sided with me and he didn't get the extra $$$ he was trying to extort from me. They even deleted the negative feedback he left as a retaliation.
eBay policies have been updated and they are trying to make things fair for the sellers too you now can find a "report this buyer" option.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
Use common sense on ebay (don't sell to sketchy buyers), and you will be fine. I've sold a few laptops on ebay with no problems. I prefer selling on ebay to a large audience, over a local sale on craigslist.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
If your computer is running fine and you take care of it, keep it until it no longer works or works for your needs.

The SSD upgrade will amaze you (will be like a new computer) and prices have fallen quite a bit.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
If your computer is running fine and you take care of it, keep it until it no longer works or works for your needs.

The SSD upgrade will amaze you (will be like a new computer) and prices have fallen quite a bit.

I just thought that if I sell it now with 6 months left on AC I could still fetch about $1900 for it and pick up a new one for about $2450 is not too bad of a hit.

richnyc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
NYC
I usually only sell my used cameras and lenses on eBay, never had a problem yet... knock on wood... But my selling options are very restricted: Only ship to US and Canada, no negative feedback, no selling to eBay 'virgins', no changing any payment options after a sale, verified Paypal addresses, insured shipping, etc...

That eliminates 99% of the 'opportunists' looking for a free meal:D:D:D The worst that happened to me was that people backed out (twice), re-listed and sold it;) Just use common sense.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI

I guess I am going to keep mine longer after thinking about it.,, bought a 512 gig Vertex 4 SSd for $389!

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I think you can use Ebay if you are careful like the others say. I think selling your 17 inch while it has the warranty is a good idea, rMBP is a great machine. I bought mine with the 256GB SSD and later upgraded to a 512gb SSD (bought on Ebay :rolleyes:) so you can upgrade it later. Memory is another story, can't be upgraded at a later time, so the extra $200 for the 16GB might be a good idea (I did it with mine). Just my 2 cents.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

Bingo. I feel better on ebay, mostly because I only tag a minor bank account to my account, so even if there is a problem, no money exists to go after.

On the flip side, I don't like having to go into business dealings where I need my gun.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
17" MBPs are stand still on ebay and other sites.

Only Apple store site has been moving them like hot cakes but every other online stores like ebay etc are not moving any 17" inventory, because they are all asking for rip off prices, no one should pay more than 2200US for one at this point I don't care how upgraded they are. Upgrading one yourself now is more affordable than ever. I am buying a bunch of them off Apple store for my nieces and nephews going into University, if they don't want to keep them they can gift them away to friends who could use them. I am in the market for a NEW 17" 2.5Ghz i7 late 2011 glossy hi-res though for my cousin.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I think you can use Ebay if you are careful like the others say. I think selling your 17 inch while it has the warranty is a good idea, rMBP is a great machine. I bought mine with the 256GB SSD and later upgraded to a 512gb SSD (bought on Ebay :rolleyes:) so you can upgrade it later. Memory is another story, can't be upgraded at a later time, so the extra $200 for the 16GB might be a good idea (I did it with mine). Just my 2 cents.

Still debating on what to do.. I ordered a 512 gig Vertex SSd for my 17".
I do pro photography and the large screen of the 17" is great. I also have a Apple 30" Cinema which I use too for editing, but I am lazy to go in my office to hook it up, Rather be in the kitchen where its nice and bright. How is the real-estate on the 15" retina. Is the resolution so fine that you have a hard time seeing type? if its 2880 and on my 17" with the 1980 dpi I normally have to increase the size one shot on safari.
I have 8 gig in my 17 and that made a big difference and I am sure the SSD will make it like a new machine. I have apple care till June so maybe I should wait till then before I un load it for a new machine.. I found a new rmbp with 512 ssd latest version for $2300..dont know how they can sell it for that?
any thoughts?

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Do you have any Apple store or reseller nearby? Suggest you go and do a "test drive" so you can see if it is the right machine for you. ;)

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Do you have any Apple store or reseller nearby? Suggest you go and do a "test drive" so you can see if it is the right machine for you. ;)

Nearest is 50 miles away.
What do you think, putting another $400 into my 17", and when I sell it later I am sure I will not recoup that much, or lets say I can get a new one for $2300
then I should be able to sell mine for maybe $1850? So the cost for the new one will be about the same if I put a new SSD in.. The only difference is adding apple care.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I suggest you check in Ebay or craiglist the actual value of your 17 just to make sure your resell number is right. Not saying is not, but the market might be different than what you may expect. 17 inchers are discontinued, so people may either avoid them or hunt for one, so may get more or less than your figure.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I suggest you check in Ebay or craiglist the actual value of your 17 just to make sure your resell number is right. Not saying is not, but the market might be different than what you may expect. 17 inchers are discontinued, so people may either avoid them or hunt for one, so may get more or less than your figure.

I just went on the apple store under refurbished and I see many are going for $2k.. Plus mine has the 2.66 processor and AG, 8 gig ram.
The 17" computers are only temporarily discontinued because they have not been able to make a cost effective 17 panel for them.. When they do you will see them again..

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Tips for selling a laptop on eBay

1. Take good pictures
2. Create a nice auction page, none of that 90s webpage business
3. Buy it now (with immediate payment required)
4. Good price
5. Free shipping
6. Disallow no feedback or negative feedback buyers
7. Ship with SIGNATURE REQUIRED

If you do nothing else, number 7 is the most important if you don't want to be ripped off.

I just went on the apple store under refurbished and I see many are going for $2k.. Plus mine has the 2.66 processor and AG, 8 gig ram.
The 17" computers are only temporarily discontinued because they have not been able to make a cost effective 17 panel for them.. When they do you will see them again..

I would say $1899, $1799 for a quick sale..

Did Tim Cook call and let you know they just need to make a cost effective panel? Pretty cool you are that close.

Last edited:

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Tips for selling a laptop on eBay

1. Take good pictures
2. Create a nice auction page, none of that 90s webpage business
3. Buy it now (with immediate payment required)
4. Good price
5. Free shipping
6. Disallow no feedback or negative feedback buyers
7. Ship with SIGNATURE REQUIRED

If you do nothing else, number 7 is the most important if you don't want to be ripped off.

I would say $1899, $1799 for a quick sale..

Did Tim Cook call and let you know they just need to make a cost effective panel? Pretty cool you are that close.

Thats for the info..
I read that online somewhere about no more 17" laptops, I dont remember where I saw it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.