Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:15 AM   #51
Elbon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
If they update the mini to retina in March, EVERYONE will be pissed...it would KILL resale value of the device.
Not if they sell both Retina and non-Retina concurrently, as they do with the full-size iPad...
Elbon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:15 AM   #52
Padraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Articles citing Gene Munster's "predictions" should also list the numerous times he was flat out wrong.

In fact, every "analyst" name should be followed by a rating like Rotten Tomatoes because most of the time these people make huge predictions that the media latches on to, and then have zero accountability for when they're wrong.

So I'd love to see rotten tomatoes analyst scoring it go like this:
Apple TV is predicted to come out in April by Gene Munster (7%) which was confirmed up by John Johnson (0%) from ProAnalysis Corp (0%). Walt Mossberg (81%) claims it doesnt exist and calls out Munster for predicting the same thing every year.
If it was another rumour site you'd bet that their track record would be addressed. But not so for zero luck Munster.
Padraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:17 AM   #53
mattburley7
macrumors 65816

March 2013: iTunes 11 released! finally
mattburley7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:17 AM   #54
scupking
macrumors 6502

I think an Apple television is a bad idea. Now the appleTV I think is a good device since you can hook that up to any TV. As far the mini. I see a retina mini with the same res as the iPad 3 and 4. This would make it a super retina screen. Though I don't think its coming out in March. The iPad 5 will be the same design as the iPad mini and iPhone yet will retain the larger sides like the iPad 1-4. Both iPads will go with IGZO displays. Ipad 5 will be around 1- 1.2 lbs.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:18 AM   #55
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

2020: new MacPro finally released.

He forgot that one.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:20 AM   #56
doelcm82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayala421 View Post
Pretty much shows how predictable Apple's minor spec bump has become...
So predictable that when Apple doesn't exactly meet the predictions (such as delaying the 4s or bringing the fourth gen iPad out after seven months), people go nuts and tear their hair.

If Apple calls the next iPhone the iPhone 6, some folks will FREAK OUT!
doelcm82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:21 AM   #57
racer1441
macrumors 68000

Makes no sense.

I'm not even touching the Apple TV stuff, it's all just rumor at this point.

As for products...

I still think that the computers will be bumped in the spring and will be from this point forward. Minor tweaks for the most part (maybe not even an event, just a upgrade in 2013). Only exception is the Mac Pro. We see a new Mac Pro in the spring or it dies, I'm 50/50 on this. This times out perfectly for those graduation gifts, going off to school purchases.

In the early summer we get WWDC for IOS and OSX. This become a pure software event.

Late summer or early fall, we get the iPhone, iPad announcement. iPods also updated at this time, but not a major thing anymore. This is perfect timing for gearing up for the holiday season.
racer1441 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:24 AM   #58
KindredMAC
macrumors 6502a

60" TV or GTFO.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:25 AM   #59
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

I can't imagine that any Apple TV will appear until the problems with the cable and satellite companies are worked out. Jobs talked about the "balkanized" nature of that industry, and until a suitable agreement can be worked out for delivering content, an actual Apple TV would be pointless.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:25 AM   #60
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Retina Display iPad Mini in March, with spec bumps later? Yeah, right.
Said the exact same thing about iPad 3, and that's exactly what happened. I don't think I'd be surprized with anything anymore. In fact, I bet this is where Munster got the idea from. If they did it once and got away with it, why not twice?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:25 AM   #61
bushido
macrumors 603

lol those reports ... isnt it pretty obvs that each device is gonna get an update in 2013 ... duh

thats like saying ... BREAKING NEWS ... weather is gonna get warmer around april with an all year high around august before it gets colder for the fall season

and i doubt they'll release an actual apple tv more like an improved "apple tv" maybe finally adding app support?

HOWEVER what i do think is gonna happen, shorter randomly chosen update circles throughout the year. see: iPad 3 (the one that was new at some point before it got old and went extinct, remember?)

Last edited by bushido; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:26 AM   #62
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Articles citing Gene Munster's "predictions" should also list the numerous times he was flat out wrong.

In fact, every "analyst" name should be followed by a rating like Rotten Tomatoes because most of the time these people make huge predictions that the media latches on to, and then have zero accountability for when they're wrong.

So I'd love to see rotten tomatoes analyst scoring it go like this:
Apple TV is predicted to come out in April by Gene Munster (7%) which was confirmed up by John Johnson (0%) from ProAnalysis Corp (0%). Walt Mossberg (81%) claims it doesnt exist and calls out Munster for predicting the same thing every year.
There was a great site called Wrong Tomorrow that tracked expert predictions (it wasn't limited to tech) but it has sadly ceased to be.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:26 AM   #63
RyanG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Retina Display iPad Mini in March, with spec bumps later? Yeah, right.
Yeah, I mean, when has that ever happened? Retina and spec bumps later in the year. Didn't happen with the iPad 3 -> 4. Oh wait...
RyanG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 AM   #64
The Samurai
macrumors 68000

I predict we see a Mac Pro in 2013
The Samurai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 AM   #65
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight View Post
Why do people expect an iPad designed with skinny borders like the mini? The borders are there to give you someplace to hold the thing whilst using it. They justified their removal on the mini by suggesting it's small enough to hold in your palm one handed. Not true of the bigger iPad. I just can't seem them doing away with usability in favor of cosmetics.
With all the antibiotics and hormones in our food supply, people grow bigger and bigger. Some in the wrong areas

But, it will only be a matter of time when we can all grab a 10.1 inch iPad with one hand.

Some basketball players can already do this right now.

I am sure Apple is planning ahead for when that all happens.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 AM   #66
bazinga!!
macrumors member

LOL who's gonna spend +1500$ on a 42".
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:28 AM   #67
AlphaHumanus
macrumors 6502

UGH. They aren't going to make a TV. You gotta be in grammar school to think that true. Expect breakthroughs in content delivery and a new aTV. Maybe not untill '14.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:28 AM   #68
BillabongJoe
macrumors newbie

I don't think any iPads will be released until September/October next year, and I don't think he mini will get a retina display.

I also don't think the Airs will get a retina display. The current pros can barely handle them they aren't ready for Airs yet.

I do hope more then anything else though that the Apple TV(the current little box) gets apps though, it doesn't even need to be full blown apps, but at least something to allow content providers to get on there easily, that would transform it from a handy little box to a must have device IMO.

I do have a suspicion that they will move the iPhone launch back to WWDC though. There were rumours that the original move was due to supply constraints, and I think now is a good time to get back on track. Now its seems like all there big releases are bunched up late in the year, and I've never really seen the iPhone as a holiday gift anyway, at least not as much as the iPad which I think better suits the October release.

Also I think the OSX update will be announced in spring again and released at WWDC. Same for iOS if the iPhone launch does move back.
BillabongJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:30 AM   #69
BMNB1tch
macrumors regular

hmm
Thin iMacs
Thin Retina MiniPads
Thin iPad 4
iTunes 11

speedbump for the
MBAir
MBPro
MBPro Retina

still no Mac Pro
still no Logic
still no Final Cut

zZzzZZzzZZz you can see why their stock is in the toilet
BMNB1tch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:30 AM   #70
ng-design
macrumors member

I do think the iPad Mini with Retina is plausible, given how quickly they released the iPad 4 after the iPad 3 came out. But I don't understand the strategy. Why would anyone bother buying an iPad Mini now when a Retina version is just around the corner? I'm sure these rumors hurt both their bottom line and their stocks.
ng-design is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:31 AM   #71
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshdaddy View Post
@reckless: Gene downs his white wine in a single gulp and calmly smashes his first-gen Apple TV through his Samsung TV screen. "It's over," he says.
Nilay likes to hear himself talk....
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:31 AM   #72
egibbys
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvizzgamer101 View Post
My Prediction:

- March 2013: Apple TV Set-top box, Apple iPanel, iTunes Radio (Revolutionary Products)
- June 2013: iOS 7, OS X 10.9, Mac Pro, Macbook Spec Bump (Software Products & Macs)
- September 2013: iPhone 5s, iPod lineup (Mobile Products)
- November 2013: iPad Mini with Retina, iPad 5 (Tablets) - iPad needs the holidays
This prediction would make a lot more sense than the given article.
2011 MacBook Pro
egibbys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:33 AM   #73
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
New Categories of Product!

Wall Street thinks that Apple cannot keep up its growth trajectory unless it comes up with new categories of products.

So Munster is trying to feed the emaciated dogs with predictions of new categories of products.

It is a well known fact that AAPL is the most manipulated stock on the market, with guys like Munster pulling the laboring oar.

Buy on the rumor!
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:33 AM   #74
peterdevries
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
but it would KILL resale value of the device.
Apple doesn't care and doesn't have to care about the resale value of Apple devices. They are interested in first-hand sales only.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:34 AM   #75
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

No way retina mini comes out in march and then another spec bump in the fall....
CrAkD is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion