Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
I understand there currently isn't any BBC iPlayer or 4OD etc.
But my plan is to use airplay on my iPad to watch such things.
I was just wondering whether there is any news as to new apps being developed on or with Apple TV?
Thinking of getting myself a nice Xmas present :)

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I was just wondering whether there is any news as to new apps being developed on or with Apple TV?

no there isn't

iPlayer and 4OD are available almost everywhere, if that's all you want then an AppleTV is probably not the best solution.

if you have Sky HD then iPlayer is already available (and 4OD is being added at the start of 2013).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
4OD and demand 5 are also available in both iphone and ipad versions....The ATV has a different range of movie and TV based interfaces...Netflix, etc. In addition you can rent or purchase shows and movies directly from Itunes on the ATV unit too.

I have 2 of them, and use them mainly as streamers on my network, but the are a great little unit, and you should be able to get the latest generation a little cheaper on friday via the Apple store.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
no there isn't

iPlayer and 4OD are available almost everywhere, if that's all you want then an AppleTV is probably not the best solution.

if you have Sky HD then iPlayer is already available (and 4OD is being added at the start of 2013).

Its not the only reason, its just an inclusion. Currently using the PS3's 4OD and iPlayer, and they crash every other time. 4OD crashes everytime an advert comes on, terrible app.

40D and 5on demand apps don't work via AirPlay or mirroring from iDevice...utterly ridiculous. Iplayer does work.

Really? Thats ridiculous, what happens when you try mirroring then?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Really? Thats ridiculous, what happens when you try mirroring then?

It comes up with a message on the iPad / iPhone saying 'HDMI Out is not supported', i guess it won't let you use a Digital AV Adaptor either :(

same with the sky app.

Apple REALLY need to let iPlayer etc on the Apple TV, i mean MLB? WHAT THE HELL?!?! Who the hell watches that?

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
It comes up with a message on the iPad / iPhone saying 'HDMI Out is not supported', i guess it won't let you use a Digital AV Adaptor either :(

same with the sky app.

I found that too - it's incredibly stupid in my opinion, does anyone know why they do it?

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I found that too - it's incredibly stupid in my opinion, does anyone know why they do it?

In the case of 4oD, it's due to licensing agreements with their content providers. According to a post regarding the matter on the Channel 4 website that I recently read, it's something they want included in all future agreements.

As others have reported, the BBC iPlayer app works over AirPlay if you are streaming. I have found, however, that if you download a programme to the iPlayer app, and then try to play it over AirPlay, it does not work. If you use AirPlay mirroring, then it does.

The ITV app only streams audio over AirPlay, but works splendidly with AirPlay mirroring.

4oD simply does not work on AirPlay for the aforementioned reason.

When I got my Apple TV 2 two years ago, it seemed obvious that an iPlayer app, at the very least, would quickly be added. Now it seems less likely. Of course the AirPlay feature overcomes the problem to an extent, but it seems like a lot of knobbing around for a feature that seems to built-in to every other electronic device sold in the UK. I need to buy a dehumidifier (recommendations welcome!), and I'm half expecting that to feature an iPlayer app.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Apple REALLY need to let iPlayer etc on the Apple TV, i mean MLB? WHAT THE HELL?!?! Who the hell watches that?

what do you mean "let".
there has to be will on BOTH sides. maybe the BBC have no desire to develop anything for the appletv at the moment.

----------

If you get an AppleTV 2 you'll be able to jailbreak it and watch 4oD and iPlayer directly without having to AirPlay!

only if it's not running the latest firmware.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011

same with the sky app.

Ahaha, the only reason my mate got the Apple TV was to watch MLB, so I won't discuss that ;)
But yeah, it should be able to airplay, I didn't realise some things couldn't be airplay..ed?

If you get an AppleTV 2 you'll be able to jailbreak it and watch 4oD and iPlayer directly without having to AirPlay!

Seriously considering the Apple TV 2 now that I know the 3rd gen can't airplay 4OD and 5onDemand, its not the main reason of getting it, the main reason is burning all dvd's blurays etc to digital format, but it would be a major help for 4OD etc.

----------

I need to buy a dehumidifier (recommendations welcome!), and I'm half expecting that to feature an iPlayer app.

Being in a uni house, ours is damp as hell. We have some that we share with our neighbours, they work brilliantly. Drop me a message and I'll let you know of the brand/model etc.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Partly licencing as mentioned above, partly that the DRM on the Apple's AirPlay implementation is a complete bloody shambles.

what do you mean "let".
there has to be will on BOTH sides. maybe the BBC have no desire to develop anything for the appletv at the moment.

The BBC have a published syndication policy. If it works with the required standards and DRM provisions (and it would), Apple TV has sold enough units as far as the BBC are concerned.

It's entirely on Apple having no interest outside the US.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
I understand there currently isn't any BBC iPlayer or 4OD etc.
But my plan is to use airplay on my iPad to watch such things.
Thinking of getting myself a nice Xmas present :)

it would be a nice Christmas present this year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.