Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #1
litokhmaikid
macrumors newbie

Time how long Macbook Air battery lasts

Is there an app that can tell me how long I have been running my mac on its battery? Like on the iPhone in the usage settings, where it tells you how long you have been using your computer since it was last charged fully?
litokhmaikid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

Well since your MacBook Air wont run for 24+ hours like an iPhone could, but probably 7 hours maximum, cant you tell for how long you have been running on battery. As in you unplugged when you left the house at 10:30am and it died at 5pm? Something like that. ?

Probably does exist, but whats the point.
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:16 PM   #3
bingeciren
macrumors regular

istat menus 3 by Bjango It displays system vitals on the taskbar. It does many other things in addition to telling you how long you have been running your mac on battery. I use it to monitor disk activity, network activity, cpu usage, enhanced calendar etc. To measure the actual running time, you have to restart your Mac, or at least logout and login again to reset the istat's counter. When you click on the CPU icon, it tells you your actual running time as well as the total uptime. That way you can see not only the actual running time, but calculate your sleep time as well.
bingeciren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4
micrors4racer
macrumors 6502

I too had this problem when trying to find out how to accurately time my battery. Most people seem to compare the estimated times on their mac but this obviously varies greatly between users. I think there is a paid app on the app store that does this but I wanted a free solution so I stumbled upon this app http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/226...ibatterylogger which does exactly what we want and more.
micrors4racer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:07 AM   #5
litokhmaikid
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Pro View Post
Well since your MacBook Air wont run for 24+ hours like an iPhone could, but probably 7 hours maximum, cant you tell for how long you have been running on battery. As in you unplugged when you left the house at 10:30am and it died at 5pm? Something like that. ?

Probably does exist, but whats the point.
That's true but I use my Macbook for college and so I am repeatedly alternating between putting it in sleep mode and using it. That makes it really difficult to figure out how long the battery actually powered the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4racer View Post
I too had this problem when trying to find out how to accurately time my battery. Most people seem to compare the estimated times on their mac but this obviously varies greatly between users. I think there is a paid app on the app store that does this but I wanted a free solution so I stumbled upon this app http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/226...ibatterylogger which does exactly what we want and more.
That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
micrors4racer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by litokhmaikid View Post
That's true but I use my Macbook for college and so I am repeatedly alternating between putting it in sleep mode and using it. That makes it really difficult to figure out how long the battery actually powered the computer.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Hope it helps! The green icon on the status bar can display the current time on battery if you right click it and click timer.

For the record my 2011 11" i7 air lasts about 4 hours 30 minutes with light use and careful consideration for saving battery (50% brightness on lcd and keyboard, 50% volume, safari, mail, messages, and itunes open. No flash videos using the clicktoplugin in safari). It lasts about 3:30-3 hours if I use it without regard to saving battery.
micrors4racer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:44 AM   #7
litokhmaikid
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4racer View Post
Hope it helps! The green icon on the status bar can display the current time on battery if you right click it and click timer.

For the record my 2011 11" i7 air lasts about 4 hours 30 minutes with light use and careful consideration for saving battery (50% brightness on lcd and keyboard, 50% volume, safari, mail, messages, and itunes open. No flash videos using the clicktoplugin in safari). It lasts about 3:30-3 hours if I use it without regard to saving battery.
Does the program only time how long you have been using the computer or just how long since the timer was started?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air