Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

Apple asked for $1000 to repair a $1300 laptop

It's a MacBook Pro 13" 2011, and it has liquid damage. A glass of water dropped on the table and the water reached the laptop, water didn't fall directly on top of the laptop.

I took it to the Apple store, and the technician took it to the back and studied it for 5 mins then came back and said the following parts need to be replaced:

Logic Board
Top Case
Display

The total ends up around $870, and after tax it's $1000!! (15% tax in Montreal.)

I took it to a local repair shop specialized in macs, and they couldn't fix it. They said the parts are beyond repair.

What should I do? It would be ridiculous to pay $1k to fix this laptop. Any suggestions?

p.s: I know about AppleCare+, and yes it would've been nice to have it, but this is not my laptop (my parents') and I wasn't around when they bought it to suggest AC+
PrayForDeath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:53 AM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

sell on CL and put funds towards a new one?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Naimfan
macrumors 68030

Either buy a new one or repair it . . .
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayForDeath View Post
The total ends up around $870, and after tax it's $1000!! (15% tax in Montreal.)

I took it to a local repair shop specialized in macs, and they couldn't fix it. They said the parts are beyond repair.
Only you can decide if the cost of repair is worth it to you.
Quote:
p.s: I know about AppleCare+, and yes it would've been nice to have it, but this is not my laptop (my parents') and I wasn't around when they bought it to suggest AC+
AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5

I'd buy a refurb MacBook. You can get a 'new' one for that kind of money.
184550 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 AM   #6
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Quote:
This wouldn't have worked either way. AppleCare+ only applies to iPads and iPhones. Mac products only have the regular AppleCare option.

For the topic, I would suggest just putting that $1000 towards a new computer, or buy a used one second hand. There's no point putting that much money into a repair.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
itegypt
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to itegypt
You can sell it as is and add to the cash and get a new/refurb one or contact repair shops they got bunch on ebay.com maybe its less than

Quote:
It's a MacBook Pro 13" 2011, and it has liquid damage. A glass of water dropped on the table and the water reached the laptop, water didn't fall directly on top of the laptop.

I took it to the Apple store, and the technician took it to the back and studied it for 5 mins then came back and said the following parts need to be replaced:

Logic Board
Top Case
Display

What should I do? It would be ridiculous to pay $1k to fix this laptop. Any suggestions?

Last edited by itegypt; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
itegypt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #8

What would i do?

Not spill water on it in the first place.

It amazes me how little respect people give to expensive items.
725032 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:01 PM   #9
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
Oh wow, did not know that. So MacBook owners have no way to buy insurance against accidents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
Thanks, I will definitely consider this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
What would i do?

Thanks for the input, but this isn't really helping. It's not my laptop, and the damage is done.
PrayForDeath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:03 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Oh wow, did not know that. So MacBook owners have no way to buy insurance against accidents?
Yes, you can buy insurance from an insurance company. There are a few companies that offer accident coverage for computers; just not Apple.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
chrisperro
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Logic Board
Top Case
Display

on ebay you can get around 300 or 350 for it, craigslist in montreal probably around 250,
your call
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Might be worth checking out if yours/ your parents home insurance/ renters insurance covers anything like this.
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes, you can buy insurance from an insurance company. There are a few companies that offer accident coverage for computers; just not Apple.
Protect Your Bubble is one of them. Very well worth it. $10 a month (I think) and covers everything you could ever think of, including theft or losing it.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
What would i do?

Accidents happen.
Ccrew is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

Buy a dell, on sale right now
Doc750 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Logic Board
Top Case
Display

Check http://protectyourbubble.com. They might be able to help you out.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:15 PM   #17
sectime
Banned

Quote:
What would i do?

Most of us aren't a Jedi Knight like you clearly are
sectime is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:16 PM   #18
richnyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
What he said Sorry
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:23 PM   #19
0dev
macrumors 68040

If your data is safe, get rid of the computer and buy a new one. A friend of mine did the same thing recently: 1,000 MBP, liquid damage, Apple wanted ~900 to fix it. She's just getting a new one.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:16 PM   #20
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

Yeah I think I'll sell it on ebay and get a refurbished MBA 13 for $940.

How much do you think I can get for it? I saw several completed auctions on ebay for $499, is that realistic?
PrayForDeath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime View Post
Most of us aren't a Jedi Knight like you clearly are
Jedi knights are fictional... No need to be childish
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Nyy8
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't expect home owners Insurance to cover the entire thing. I know for a fact, ours we have to pay the first $1000 dollars, and they cover the rest. (Not useful here, since the thing is only worth 1,300)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:24 PM   #23
Shaneuk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimfan View Post
Either buy a new one or repair it . . .
Well done, Captain Obvious.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:28 PM   #24
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
OP, keep in mind that if you pay with a CC, you do have benefits, depending on your card that may or may not cover accidental damage/theft, etc

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyy8 View Post
I wouldn't expect home owners Insurance to cover the entire thing. I know for a fact, ours we have to pay the first $1000 dollars, and they cover the rest. (Not useful here, since the thing is only worth 1,300)
and if you did this route, not only do you pay the deductible, but the act of filing a claim raises your premiums
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:28 PM   #25
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
I'm curious how the display requires replacing; if a glass of water spilt near to the laptop and flowed across the desk it shouldn't have affected the display; unless maybe the display circuitry short-circuited and fried the display?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice