Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
It's a MacBook Pro 13" 2011, and it has liquid damage. A glass of water dropped on the table and the water reached the laptop, water didn't fall directly on top of the laptop.

I took it to the Apple store, and the technician took it to the back and studied it for 5 mins then came back and said the following parts need to be replaced:

Logic Board
Top Case
Display

The total ends up around $870, and after tax it's $1000!! (15% tax in Montreal.)

I took it to a local repair shop specialized in macs, and they couldn't fix it. They said the parts are beyond repair.

What should I do? It would be ridiculous to pay $1k to fix this laptop. Any suggestions?

p.s: I know about AppleCare+, and yes it would've been nice to have it, but this is not my laptop (my parents') and I wasn't around when they bought it to suggest AC+

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The total ends up around $870, and after tax it's $1000!! (15% tax in Montreal.)

I took it to a local repair shop specialized in macs, and they couldn't fix it. They said the parts are beyond repair.
Only you can decide if the cost of repair is worth it to you.
p.s: I know about AppleCare+, and yes it would've been nice to have it, but this is not my laptop (my parents') and I wasn't around when they bought it to suggest AC+
AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario

This wouldn't have worked either way. AppleCare+ only applies to iPads and iPhones. Mac products only have the regular AppleCare option.

For the topic, I would suggest just putting that $1000 towards a new computer, or buy a used one second hand. There's no point putting that much money into a repair.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
You can sell it as is and add to the cash and get a new/refurb one or contact repair shops they got bunch on ebay.com maybe its less than :apple:

It's a MacBook Pro 13" 2011, and it has liquid damage. A glass of water dropped on the table and the water reached the laptop, water didn't fall directly on top of the laptop.

I took it to the Apple store, and the technician took it to the back and studied it for 5 mins then came back and said the following parts need to be replaced:

Logic Board
Top Case
Display

What should I do? It would be ridiculous to pay $1k to fix this laptop. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Aug 5, 2012
What would i do?

Not spill water on it in the first place.

It amazes me how little respect people give to expensive items.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.

Oh wow, did not know that. So MacBook owners have no way to buy insurance against accidents?

I'd buy a refurb MacBook. You can get a 'new' one for that kind of money.

Thanks, I will definitely consider this.

What would i do?

Not spill water on it in the first place.

It amazes me how little respect people give to expensive items.

Thanks for the input, but this isn't really helping. It's not my laptop, and the damage is done.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh wow, did not know that. So MacBook owners have no way to buy insurance against accidents?
Yes, you can buy insurance from an insurance company. There are a few companies that offer accident coverage for computers; just not Apple.

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada

Logic Board
Top Case
Display

on ebay you can get around 300 or 350 for it, craigslist in montreal probably around 250,
your call

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Yes, you can buy insurance from an insurance company. There are a few companies that offer accident coverage for computers; just not Apple.

Protect Your Bubble is one of them. Very well worth it. $10 a month (I think) and covers everything you could ever think of, including theft or losing it.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA

Logic Board
Top Case
Display

Check http://protectyourbubble.com. They might be able to help you out.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If your data is safe, get rid of the computer and buy a new one. A friend of mine did the same thing recently: £1,000 MBP, liquid damage, Apple wanted ~£900 to fix it. She's just getting a new one.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah I think I'll sell it on ebay and get a refurbished MBA 13 for $940.

How much do you think I can get for it? I saw several completed auctions on ebay for $499, is that realistic?

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I wouldn't expect home owners Insurance to cover the entire thing. I know for a fact, ours we have to pay the first $1000 dollars, and they cover the rest. (Not useful here, since the thing is only worth 1,300)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

OP, keep in mind that if you pay with a CC, you do have benefits, depending on your card that may or may not cover accidental damage/theft, etc

----------

I wouldn't expect home owners Insurance to cover the entire thing. I know for a fact, ours we have to pay the first $1000 dollars, and they cover the rest. (Not useful here, since the thing is only worth 1,300)

and if you did this route, not only do you pay the deductible, but the act of filing a claim raises your premiums

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm curious how the display requires replacing; if a glass of water spilt near to the laptop and flowed across the desk it shouldn't have affected the display; unless maybe the display circuitry short-circuited and fried the display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.