Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I’m interested in getting a network drive, specifically western digital live drive. My Book Live

is it possible to access the files from the drive over the internet? I don’t mean a wifi network, I mean wherever there is internet . It is advertised that I can do that but do I need to have a computer on in my home WITH the network drive on in order to access it from anywhere? If anyone actually has this product and uses their included software to do this ( supposedly mionet ) , can you tell me how its done

are there any limits to what I can access when using their software? Like could I watch movies streaming ?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I have 3 of them. All can be accessed across the internet using the WD application via web, iPhone or iPad.

Movie streaming is going to be a matter of your bandwidth connection and what program you're using obviously, but my experience is that it works best if you access the file remotely, copy it locally, and just delete when done.

Decent devices. Firmware can be a bit of a crapshoot when upgrades come but it works as advertised. I've had 1 of the three fail and WD is good about warranty.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
how does it work if I have both a mac and pc nad I want to access files on the drive through the internet ? Could I still access the files from whichever OS ? Like can I just set the drive to exfat or something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.