Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
wickedking94
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Factory unlock an iPhone 3GS for free?

So I bought an iPhone 3GS from a pawn shop fro 150$. Its on Rogers Wireless (a canadian company) but I'm on Koodo. For the past 6 months of owning my phone I've been using the jailbreak method to use my Koodo SIM on my phone. However I am finding now that it only lasts a month or two before a glitch pops up (like being un able to sync or connect to wifi) and then I have to do the whole restore, jailbreak, unlock, and re-copy my stuff onto the phone. Its getting quite irritating. I wan't to factory unlock my iPhone so I can use the regular software and so I can update to iOS 6 finally. Unfortunately the only two options I can find are 1: To get rogers to unlock it, which I can't even do because you have to be a rogers customer for like 6 months and then pay them 50$ to unlock my own property. 2: I can pay an unlocking service, but they all charge like 200$. Why the hell would I ever pay that much to unlock something thats MINE. How is this even legal? Its like being forced to pay to get into my own house.

So has anyone ever found a FREE way of factory unlocking their phone? If not I'm just going to smash my iPhone against a wall and buy a cheap unlocked android phone.
wickedking94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
There's no other way.
Just sell it and buy a factory unlocked one next time.
You will never have to worry about it locking.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
IMEI unlocks for Canadian carriers seem to always be much more costly than US carriers, it's too bad you didn't buy an AT&T locked (or already unlocked) one from eBay.

Seems to me that your only affordable choice is to get a micro SIM card (or cut yours down), buy a Gevey SIM unlock card, and a micro SIM card adaptor.
Jamesesesesess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040
 
PsstGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa Bay
If your 3GS is old enough you could always upgrade/downgrade basebands and unlock, with you want to go that route.
__________________
iMac + iPhone 5 + rMini
PsstGreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
So I bought an iPhone 3GS from a pawn shop fro 150$. Its on Rogers Wireless (a canadian company) but I'm on Koodo. For the past 6 months of owning my phone I've been using the jailbreak method to use my Koodo SIM on my phone. However I am finding now that it only lasts a month or two before a glitch pops up (like being un able to sync or connect to wifi) and then I have to do the whole restore, jailbreak, unlock, and re-copy my stuff onto the phone. Its getting quite irritating. I wan't to factory unlock my iPhone so I can use the regular software and so I can update to iOS 6 finally. Unfortunately the only two options I can find are 1: To get rogers to unlock it, which I can't even do because you have to be a rogers customer for like 6 months and then pay them 50$ to unlock my own property. 2: I can pay an unlocking service, but they all charge like 200$. Why the hell would I ever pay that much to unlock something thats MINE. How is this even legal? Its like being forced to pay to get into my own house.

So has anyone ever found a FREE way of factory unlocking their phone? If not I'm just going to smash my iPhone against a wall and buy a cheap unlocked android phone.
On the other note did you know that the phone was locked to another carrier and you bought it anyway?
Without doing any research what needs to be done to unlock it or how much it costs?
Or they sold it to you as unlocked?
Either way you put yourself in that situation and now you're complaining saying its expensive and illegal and you want a free way of officially unlocking it.
The only one that doesnt make sense is you, next time be more carefull with what you purchase. Unfortunatelly there is no free way to officially unlock it and its locked to rogers and its perfectly legal. It has nothing to do with paying to get into your house or any other analogy you tried to present.
Live and learn I guess.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:38 PM   #6
wickedking94
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I bought it on rogers because it was the only iPhone I could get for 150$ and I knew about the unlock method through jailbreaking. What none of the jailbreaking guides told me was that jailbreaking takes 4 hours to do and that its so badly written you have to re-do it once a month. Had I known I probably wouldn't have done it.
wickedking94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:35 PM   #7
wickedking94
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I've given up on this unlocking venture. Clearly north america is far behind when in a lot of countries over in europe its illegal to sell locked phones. Oh well. Luckily I managed to sell my iPod touch for enough to get a factory unlocked iPhone 4 off ebay. I guess its a win in the end so now I don't have to have two devices for phone and music. Still stupid though.
wickedking94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
I bought it on rogers because it was the only iPhone I could get for 150$ and I knew about the unlock method through jailbreaking. What none of the jailbreaking guides told me was that jailbreaking takes 4 hours to do and that its so badly written you have to re-do it once a month. Had I known I probably wouldn't have done it.
It always took me a few minutes to jb. And never had to redo it once a month.
The only reason I had to redo it was when there was an updated jb version. So I had to update the firmware and rejailbreak it.
There's gotta be something that you're installing from cydia that's causing you all these probs and you have to redo it all every month.
I bet if you just jb and install ultrasnow you will never have any problems at all.
Not all jb iPhones have to be restored every month

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
I've given up on this unlocking venture. Clearly north america is far behind when in a lot of countries over in europe its illegal to sell locked phones. Oh well. Luckily I managed to sell my iPod touch for enough to get a factory unlocked iPhone 4 off ebay. I guess its a win in the end so now I don't have to have two devices for phone and music. Still stupid though.
Glad that it worked out. Best thing to do is buy factory unlocked if you don't want to deal with unlocks, hacking, chasing carriers etc...
About the countries in Europe they have to buy it there full price and pay over $1000-1100 for it so almost double of what we pay for it here in North America. Grass is not always greener...
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedking94 View Post
I've given up on this unlocking venture. Clearly north america is far behind when in a lot of countries over in europe its illegal to sell locked phones.
I'm only aware of one country where that's the case (France).

Competition here has driven demand for unlocked devices. Most phones are sold unlocked here, not because of the law, but because of consumer demand.

The iPhone is the exception to that rule, but most carriers will unlock an iPhone within the customer's contract period - usually charging only about €20

The carriers make a lot of money selling people plans that don't include a device but that offer a huge discount over the normal "subsidised" plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
About the countries in Europe they have to buy it there full price and pay over $1000-1100 for it so almost double of what we pay for it here in North America.
This isn't really true either. The phone subsidies offered by our carriers are higher than those in the United States. The US carriers like to perpetuate the notion that a subsidised phone has to be locked, but there's no reason for that to be the case.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:30 PM   #10
wickedking94
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Actually I had to get one thats locked to Koodo. (I was in the process of ordering a factory unlocked one but they didn't ship to canada) still better, and Koodo is pretty good about unlocking. They say you have to pay 50$ but I got them to unlock my old android phone when I got this iPhone because I told them I wanted to give it to a friend on a different provider.
wickedking94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
This isn't really true either. The phone subsidies offered by our carriers are higher than those in the United States. The US carriers like to perpetuate the notion that a subsidised phone has to be locked.
Well it depends on the country and carrier.
I know in some places in Europe the base 16GB iphone 5 model goes for 750-800 euros so that's around $950-1000 full price unlocked.
At least now in the US and Canada we have the option to either get it unlocked for a lot less ($650) than other places in the world or get it cheaper with a contract agreement.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Well it depends on the country and carrier.
I know in some places in Europe the base 16GB iphone 5 model goes for 750-800 euros so that's around $950-1000 full price unlocked.
At least now in the US and Canada we have the option to either get it unlocked for a lot less ($650) than other places in the world or get it cheaper with a contract agreement.
The unsubsidised price IS expensive, but the average consumer isn't going to buy it that way. They'll just get a subsidised contract.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
The unsubsidised price IS expensive, but the average consumer isn't going to buy it that way. They'll just get a subsidised contract.
I dont know, I heard in Europe in general the sim only plans are dirt cheap.
So where we pay in the US something like $100-120 a month with taxes for 2GB data, 700 minutes and texts they would pay not even a quarter of that price on an unsubsidized plan.
In the long run it would come out to save you way more money if you buy one full price and just choose your prepaid no contract carrier.
In the US like you said they hate the idea of paying $600-700 for a phone but they dont mind spending $120-140 on the phone service fees every month
Weird. I wish it was cheaper and we could get LTE service and great priced plans here prepaid on the iphone with all features like visual voicemail, mms, facetime, tethering etc...
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:57 PM   #14
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I dont know, I heard in Europe in general the sim only plans are dirt cheap.
It depends on the plan.

I checked before I got my iPhone 5 whether it would be cheaper that way.

I pay 39 a month ($62) for:

2000 voice minutes
5000 text messages
5000 voice minutes to other people on the same carrier
Unlimited Data including Tethering

I had to pay 89 ($142) upfront for the 32GB iPhone 5

I've also paid 15 ($23) to unlock the phone.

Total cost over 24 months: 1040 ($1655)

If you get the phone unlocked from Apple, it's 599 ($953)

The same plan is 25 per month ($40) on a 30 day rolling contract with no phone.

Total over 24 months: 1199 ($1908)


There are far cheaper unsubsidised plans than that (but mine is the only one with Unlimited Tethering included). 12 per month ($19) would get you:

1200 minutes
Unlimited Texts
1GB of data


Note that all of these prices include tax at 20% (the standard rate here).
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:59 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
It depends on the plan.

I checked before I got my iPhone 5 whether it would be cheaper that way.

I pay 39 a month ($62) for:

2000 voice minutes
5000 text messages
5000 voice minutes to other people on the same carrier
Unlimited Data including Tethering
So around $62 per month with taxes.
That's a pretty sweet deal bro including unlimited data with unlimited tethering.

Last edited by Applejuiced; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:06 PM   #16
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
So around $74 per month with taxes.
Sorry if I wasn't clear - these prices INCLUDE tax (I've updated the post).

Prices here always include the tax - it's not added on later.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear - these prices INCLUDE tax (I've updated the post).

Prices here always include the tax - it's not added on later.
Oh I see.
Here its always without tax on the prices displayed. And then you get an added $30-40 in taxes and fees at the end of your bill and you are like WTF?
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:20 PM   #18
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816
 
Spectrum Abuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Oh I see.
Here its always without tax on the prices displayed. And then you get an added $30-40 in taxes and fees at the end of your bill and you are like WTF?
'Murica!
__________________
iPad Mini Retina 16GB WiFi - iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T) - 21.5" iMac 2.5Ghz i5 (2011)
Spectrum Abuser is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Downgrading BB 06.15.00 to 5.13.04 iPhone 3GS for Factory Unlock AT&T ShriksR Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Jul 17, 2013 01:11 PM
Downgrading BB 06.15.00 to 5.13.04 iPhone 3GS for Factory Unlock AT&T ShriksR iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jul 17, 2013 07:47 AM
Downgrading BB 06.15.00 to 5.13.04 iPhone 3GS for Factory Unlock AT&T ShriksR iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jul 17, 2013 07:45 AM
Factory Unlock iPhone 3GS 6.1.3? StockDC2 iPhone 4 Apr 7, 2013 08:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC