Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aalberto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Hi. I have yet another question regarding my PowerMac G4:

My Mac came with a SCSI hard drive and card (35Gb Quantum hard drive). Can it be upgraded to use an IDE hard drive instead? When I installed extra RAM, I noticed that the motherboard had an extra connector next to the one the DVD-ROM drive used. Might this be the extra IDE connector? Of course, I'm aware that there's a 120Gb hard drive size limitation for this Mac. I'm wondering if using an IDE drive instead of SCSI will fix a sleep problem my Mac has at the moment (basically, after 15 minutes of inactivity, it enters sleep mode, but when I try to wake it up, I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard and nothing happens - I also tried to push the power button with no success, then push the little triangle button which restarts my Mac).

I searched through this forum, and it turns out that most sleep problems are caused by failure of the hard drive to re-initialize on wake up. Are there additional considerations I need to keep in mind to troubleshoot sleep problems? I'm running MacOS X Tiger with 1Gb RAM (just installed it two days ago). If the problem is due to the hard drive, will replacing it with an IDE hard drive solve it? Currently, I set my Mac to never sleep.

Thank you very much for any help on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.