Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
AT&T Personal Hotspot on iPad not working lately?

Just realized none of the iPads on my AT&T Mobile Datashare Plan are able to use the Personal Hotspot feature. They are all 3rd generation iPads on 6.0.1.

First iPad: Personal Hotspot showed up in the options, but never creates a wifi network to connect to. I went into airplay mode and came out...now Personal Hotspot says to "Call AT&T at 611 to activate personal hotspot". Resetting Network Settings does nothing.

Second iPad: Personal hotspot shows up in the options, but never creates a wifi network to connect to. Neither Airplane Mode, nor Resetting Network Settings does anything to fix this, though the option is still visible.

I called AT&T and they said they're having problems nationwide with Personal Hotspot...but I don't believe it. I would have heard about it.

So my question, is anyone else here having trouble with their iPads and Personal Hotspot from the iPad?
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
steve knight
macrumors 65816
 
steve knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I get this off and on my ipad can't connect to my iphone. rebooting the phone usually fixes it. sucks but what can you do been getting worse it seems though.
__________________
CNCrouting.biz
steve knight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:08 PM   #3
shenan1982
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV83 View Post
Just realized none of the iPads on my AT&T Mobile Datashare Plan are able to use the Personal Hotspot feature. They are all 3rd generation iPads on 6.0.1.

First iPad: Personal Hotspot showed up in the options, but never creates a wifi network to connect to. I went into airplay mode and came out...now Personal Hotspot says to "Call AT&T at 611 to activate personal hotspot". Resetting Network Settings does nothing.

Second iPad: Personal hotspot shows up in the options, but never creates a wifi network to connect to. Neither Airplane Mode, nor Resetting Network Settings does anything to fix this, though the option is still visible.

I called AT&T and they said they're having problems nationwide with Personal Hotspot...but I don't believe it. I would have heard about it.

So my question, is anyone else here having trouble with their iPads and Personal Hotspot from the iPad?
I've always had problems with hotspot on iOS devices (except when jailbroken - tethering works great, haha).... my solution this iPad was to get the Mini with LTE, problem solved :-)

But in all seriousness, ATT's deployment of the hotspot feature, and the limitations they put on devices is pretty bad...
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
DodgeV83
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Really? I have 0 problems with it on my phone...I was hoping they messed something up with my Mobile Share plan
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
mgford11
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
My iPhone 5 suddenly lost hotspot too. When I restored from a backup with it on there, it doesn't broadcast. Happened the same time they enabled FaceTime over cellular. I have a ticket open with AT&T business care, but they're not helping at all. They called it a "trending problem with iOS 6.0.1 users"
mgford11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:44 AM   #6
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
I just used it two days ago and it was fine.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Gregrah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Also having this issue. Personal Hotspot worked fine on my iPhone 5 up until Monday, and the stopped working. AT&T support has acknowledged that there is a major issue, but has predictably been completely worthless in explaining what the root cause is or when it might be fixed.

This seems like a pretty major outage to me (at least for those of us who depend on tethering to get work done). Is there any way we can get this on the front page of Mac rumors to turn up the pressure on AT&T a bit?
Gregrah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:50 PM   #8
eldo33
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrah View Post
Also having this issue. Personal Hotspot worked fine on my iPhone 5 up until Monday, and the stopped working. AT&T support has acknowledged that there is a major issue, but has predictably been completely worthless in explaining what the root cause is or when it might be fixed.

This seems like a pretty major outage to me (at least for those of us who depend on tethering to get work done). Is there any way we can get this on the front page of Mac rumors to turn up the pressure on AT&T a bit?
I've had IP5 since it first came out and HOTSPOT was working fine everytime I turned it one UNTIL this past Monday. the network never came up when I turned it on. I DIDN'T UPDATE TO VERSION 6.0.1 either and have tried everything. I restored from back up to a week earlier, reset IP5 multiple times and still nothing.

I came to AT&T store and after 5 minutes troubleshooting, the rep opened a ticket with the issue and that was it. It has been over a day and nothing is working still and haven't heard back. THIS IS RIDICULOUS cuz I have no wifi at my home and was counting on hotspot for PC internet. grrr... paying this much for mobile shared with no sharing...damn AT&T
__________________
128GB Ipad RMini Wifi/64GB Wifi Mini/16GB LTE Mini
IP6x2/IP5x2 / IP4Sx2/3Gs/3G/OG IP
eldo33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:56 PM   #9
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldo33 View Post
... paying this much for mobile shared with no sharing...damn AT&T
Since this issue doesn't affect every AT&T customer, how is this an AT&T problem and not a hardware issue?
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:01 PM   #10
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Tethering an iPad mini to an iPhone 5 w/ AT&T is working fine for me. I just tested it to confirm.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a
 
KeepCalmPeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Thumbs down

Just activated an iPhone 5 on my mobile share plan yesterday - I'm seeing the same issues. I can turn on the wi-fi hotspot but it's not broadcasting a signal for my devices to see.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:19 PM   #12
EDH667
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldo33 View Post
I've had IP5 since it first came out and HOTSPOT was working fine everytime I turned it one UNTIL this past Monday. the network never came up when I turned it on. I DIDN'T UPDATE TO VERSION 6.0.1 either and have tried everything. I restored from back up to a week earlier, reset IP5 multiple times and still nothing.

I came to AT&T store and after 5 minutes troubleshooting, the rep opened a ticket with the issue and that was it. It has been over a day and nothing is working still and haven't heard back. THIS IS RIDICULOUS cuz I have no wifi at my home and was counting on hotspot for PC internet. grrr... paying this much for mobile shared with no sharing...damn AT&T
The same thing happened to me a few days ago, and I was able to get the hotspot working again by doing a re-boot of the iPhone.
EDH667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: personal hotspot not working: limited access mattkilla Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Mar 30, 2014 02:52 PM
Personal Hotspot not working on MBA (works on other machines!) Narial Taster OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 May 30, 2013 01:20 PM
iPhone: Personal Hotspot now working on Orange UK (Everything Everywhere) since iOS6 install chriscl iOS 6 6 May 1, 2013 06:17 AM
Personal Hotspot - WiFi Not Working ParryD iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Mar 3, 2013 05:57 PM
Personal Hotspot working on O2 network emoose iPad 2 Jun 19, 2012 09:03 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps